Confirmed with Link: Washington claims Dmitrij Jaskin off waivers

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I doubt Jaskin ever plays in the top six but the bottom six often does a lot of cycling. He could fit in well alongside Eller potentially. The numbers don't really work when healthy, though, so it'll be interesting how they sort the forwards when Wilson returns. Just one game but I thought Dowd looked pretty good in the final pre-season game (albeit against weaker comp).

As far as the PK goes, my guess is it goes Eller/Stephenson, Dowd/Oshie and then Kuznetsov and either Backstrom or DSP after that. Supposedly Burakovsky may be another depth option. They don't really need Jaskin to PK unless maybe one of Dowd/Stephenson/DSP are scratched and they need another rotational guy. But even then it could be Burakovsky instead and if they're fine giving speed guys chances then Vrana could also work his way into the mix.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
FYI, "Wilson's slot" has been 1RW for most of last season and the playoffs. Jaskin is not likely to jump in next to Ovechkin and Kuznetsov.

I think he is. It's what he's made for. You don't have options anyway unless you wanna mess up your middle six. Jaskin is easily better than Connolly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think he is. It's what he's made for. You don't have options anyway unless you wanna mess up your middle six. Jaskin is easily better than Connolly.
Jaskin is far too slow for that line. It would be a repeat of top line DSP. Hard pass. Stephenson can easily fill in for Connolly on the 3rd line. Connolly is a legit goal scorer, even if he doesn't bring much else.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Wilson isn't a good skater? Really? Really?
Beagle's PK value was from his ability to win faceoffs. Jaskin doesn't take faceoffs (he only won 2 of the 13 he took last year). Beagle is also a better skater than you're giving him credit for.
Backstrom and Oshie are depth PKers.

Can Jaskin be put into the PK depth chart? Possibly, I already speculated as much in my first post in this thread. But his skillset isn't ideal for killing penalties. Board battles, forechecking, and puck cycling are much more rare while killing penalties than at even strength.

Wilson is a good skater for his size... he doesn't burn people. Jaskin is good enough of a skater to be defensively responsible and in position and win board battles since that's his entire role, I very much doubt he's a worse skater than Beagle or DSP. Unless you're trying to stretch the ice and score most skating on the PK for forwards involves mirroring the point men at the top of the diamond.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
'Wilson is a bad skater' is a 4 year-old opinion. Absolutely frigid take.

The scouting report that Jaskin is great along the boards and great at protecting the puck makes me wonder if he could potentially be a slower, wing version of Eller. Remember that Eller was pretty polarizing among Montreal fans, similar to how Jaskin has been perceived based off of what I've read over time on this site.

Wilson is not an amazing skater or speed demon come on. He's Oshie/Backstrom caliber which given his size is very useful.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Zubrus. That's who he reminds me of. Maybe he could be Zubrus with less offense which is still a hell of a player in the right circumstances.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jaskin seems like a good get for free, but i would have wanted to give the Willy-window for some guys from our own system instead.?

Apparently its not just me that value hits. Which of our preferred prospects can do that? None. He is here for his hits. He wont score, wont PK, there isn't much left for a 4th liner. Energy!

I actually think Gersich is pretty feisty and will throw a few hits. Randyom theory - I think with hitting being so frowned upon now, the smaller players need to up their game and start hitting more than they do since they are too short to really clobber most guys in the head.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Explain. Jaskin has 7 goals in the last two NHL seasons. Connolly has 30. He had 6 in the playoffs. How is Jaskin better?

Jaskin is a straight up grinder, Connolly is a sniper. I still really like this waiver wire pickup a lot.

All you ever need to know about a player comes from the board of that player and Blues fans are pretty complimentary of this player. It was a numbers game for them plain and simple.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Blues fan here. The reason Jaskin had to be placed on waivers is because we could not put Sundqvist in the minors while injured. So you guys injuried Sundqvist and then because Wilson is facing a suspension, take Jaskin from us. Highway robbery IMO.

Crazy how this stuff works eh?

Hopefully the Caps get Kempny back soon.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jaskin is a straight up grinder, Connolly is a sniper. I still really like this waiver wire pickup a lot.

All you ever need to know about a player comes from the board of that player and Blues fans are pretty complimentary of this player. It was a numbers game for them plain and simple.

That is fine. It also doesn't mean that he is better than Connolly particularly for the finisher role on the first line

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That is fine. It also doesn't mean that he is better than Connolly particularly for the finisher role on the first line

For sure, he isn't close to Connolly. Jaskin is a 4th liner who is hard on the puck as they say. Once Wilson is back he will be waived or sent to the press box if they waive Walker or Megna. Once Boyd is back, who the heck knows.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Explain. Jaskin has 7 goals in the last two NHL seasons. Connolly has 30. He had 6 in the playoffs. How is Jaskin better?
You are referring to offense only. They are different type players, hard to compare them. Connolly has a quick release. The rest of his game kinda sucks. Jaskin is better defensively and more physical.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The first line doesn't really need a finisher. They need a guy that's going to go in the corner and retrieve pucks. That's not Connollys strength.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You are referring to offense only. They are different type players, hard to compare them. Connolly has a quick release. The rest of his game kinda sucks. Jaskin is better defensively and more physical.

The job in question is 1RW. Its an offensive player job.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am happy to hear BMac targeted Jaskin because Willy is going to jail. Exactly as I suspected - he wants hitting. We have plenty of guys ready to pinch hit (baseball term) but since they can't hit, they won't cut it. Sure Jaskin will be closer to Brouwer grade hits than Willy, but whatever.

Hitting was the formula in many key wins in our cup run, and Willy is now not going to be able to do the hitting BMac wants. Be it suspension or otherwise, he will have to take the foot off the gas when he is playing. Getting neutered by the league was my only concern about his contract and here we are and the f***ing season hasn't even started.

He could throw hip checks but then of course will be blamed for going at guys knees.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The first line doesn't really need a finisher. They need a guy that's going to go in the corner and retrieve pucks. That's not Connollys strength.

What they have always tried to have is a someone who can use the open ice that Ov and Backstrom create and who can retrieve the puck. Knuble, Clark, Oshie and Wilson do that. Kozy didn't and did fine. How did DSP do?

No need to respond. You believe your own POV. Its good. Lets move on

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What they have always tried to have is a someone who can use the open ice that Ov and Backstrom create and who can retrieve the puck. Knuble, Clark, Oshie and Wilson do that. Kozy didn't and did fine. How did DSP do?

No need to respond. You believe your own POV. Its good. Lets move on
To be honest I'm not sure what my point of view is. I really dont know who I would put in the 1st line. Like you said they usually use a guy that can retrieve pucks on that line. DSP is that type of player but they tried him on that line and I didnt think it worked very well. Who do you think they should try in that spot?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This just isn't true. Sundqvist doesn't take up a roster spot while on Injured Reserve, and doesn't occupy any cap hit while on Long Term Injured Reserve. As far as I can tell this is just a rumor from HFBlues and isn't even substantiated from any beat writers.
Yeah, that Blues fan never really knows what he’s talking about.

Have to laugh at some of the fans here thinking they somehow screwed the Blues here. :laugh: We put a guy on waivers because he’s been healthy scratched many times over the past few years and was beaten out by 3 different prospects. Thanks for taking his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad