GDT: Washington Capitals @ Minnesota Wild. 19 :00 Central, 03:00 in Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So after watching parise injury, probably a C word. Ugh

bluths-seaward.gif

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I never did like him. For a guy of his size he is such a weak player. No grit. Never plays a nasty game which his size would seem to dictate. I'm always amazed at how he skates away from any potential confrontation.

Well, he's a warrior compared to guys like Vanek, Mantha or Kessel. I've seen some very dominant games from Coyle. But I agree that he hasn't been that good lately. Being forced to play LW probably doesn't help.

Overall, the game last night was okay I think. Loss of Parise sucks but it's getting better. They were better than the Caps. With the usual Dubnyk they would have won. I blame Boudreau and his crazy line shuffling for the latest slump. Hoping that we're through that now...

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Oh man. Many bad things, many good things.

Goaltending, PP, PK, Koivu's line including Granny, Parise's injury, Coyle/Hanzal 3on3..

Then effort, tenacity, come back, Staal. Brodin, Spurgeon's super computer brains (that was an awesome stick lift, felt offsides immediately when it happened, but Spurgeon's intelligence and fast decision making is out of this world sometimes).

Sucks to lose this one. But nothing comes for free.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Just watched up to Ovechkin's hat trick on the power play and am baffled that no one ever thought to cover the only ****ing play they've used to score. All three he's wide open while all four defenders are across the ice jacking off.

This team is going to crash and burn hard with their inability to recognize a mistake and fix it. The first time was bad given how obvious the play is and the fact it's been their MO for like two goddamn seasons. #2 and #3 though are just embarrassing.

Neat they got a point out of the game (though I'm not about to watch the rest), but if they'd stop playing like ****ing goldfish and actually remember "oh yeah, that thing is probably going to happen again," we may have actually won it.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Just watched up to Ovechkin's hat trick on the power play and am baffled that no one ever thought to cover the only ****ing play they've used to score. All three he's wide open while all four defenders are across the ice jacking off.

This team is going to crash and burn hard with their inability to recognize a mistake and fix it. The first time was bad given how obvious the play is and the fact it's been their MO for like two goddamn seasons. #2 and #3 though are just embarrassing.

Neat they got a point out of the game (though I'm not about to watch the rest), but if they'd stop playing like ****ing goldfish and actually remember "oh yeah, that thing is probably going to happen again," we may have actually won it.

The issues are mental weakness and lack of leadership to correct it, they are not stupid and have enough skill.

Some coaches give the inspiration and leadership that players follow, BB is more of an players coach, he needs help from inside the team.
Yeo made mistakes but it is pretty clear he did not receive it either.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Watching the highlights I'd say Dubnyk should have stopped two out of the three.

Sherwood7030

Mar 11, 2017
As a whole the team played decent. To me this was a coaching loss. The choice to continue to run the box Pk is on the coaching. That's 5 pp goals Ovi has against us this year, that's on the coaching and making no adjustment at all. Should Dubnyk have made a couple of the saves, maybe but running a more appropriate pk would have taken the opportunity away.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
As a whole the team played decent. To me this was a coaching loss. The choice to continue to run the box Pk is on the coaching. That's 5 pp goals Ovi has against us this year, that's on the coaching and making no adjustment at all. Should Dubnyk have made a couple of the saves, maybe but running a more appropriate pk would have taken the opportunity away.

The players said they have been part in building the PK? Could be I misunderstood.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Baffles me that we struggle against Ovechkin recently. Boudreau's got to know what OV's going to do practically before he even does it.

Makes me wonder if Boudreau's comments about players not executing according to the plan is true... I recall Yeo saying the same thing.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's easy for us to say "Put a guy on Ovechkin!" but he just floats out there on the dot and waits. If you staple a guy to his side, someone else is going to be wide open, and probably in a much better scoring area.

I mean, if it was viable to just mark him constantly on the PP, somebody would have done it, right? He does this on the PP to tons of teams.

FWIW, I don't think he was particularly dangerous looking last night even strength.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
First one was a wide open net...but Dubnyk is part of the PK too. You gotta bail out your guys at least once or twice a game..my god. Come up with a save. He was in position on goals 2 and 3. Knock it down. Dubnyk being .750 sv% was easily the main reason for the loss.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I'm sorry but Dubnyk has to stop at least one of those goals four goals on 17 shots is not good.I think at this point you need to rest Dubnyk I don't even care about about seeding I think it's more important that Dubnyk gets rest.

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
Baffles me that we struggle against Ovechkin recently. Boudreau's got to know what OV's going to do practically before he even does it.

Makes me wonder if Boudreau's comments about players not executing according to the plan is true... I recall Yeo saying the same thing.

That would make them stupid assuming they try their best, most look pretty smart so more likely they are lazy (discipline, team culture) or think they know better (discipline, leadership).
Should bench some for all the games and see who are the ones that need to go.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
No argument from me on Dubnyk. At some point he's just gotta make some saves to bail the team out.

This. Sure the Wild could have scored on there power plays. But when you limit a team to 20 shots and you give up five goals come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad