Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals Hire Peter Laviolette to be 19th Head Coach in Franchise History

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In Lavis 3 cup runs I don’t think he had a stud goalie any of the times.

The Flyers thing was a epic cluster f^%$. All due credit there. Pekka Renne is a stud and Cam Ward was legit and coming of age. He was a starting goalie in the NHL for 13 seasons. He had another deep run on a team that had no business in the conference finals.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Unsubstantiated but I feel like Laviolette has done well with youth development. Nobody's perfect but he seems good at recognizing play for what it is and giving young players big roles rather than playing it safe, and I think he's the right guy of the main three candidates to take on this mix. I definitely think you're more likely to see big strides from McMichael or Fehervary with Laviolette around.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Well not my first choice out of the 3 obviously but neither the last one . Would have been very disappointed with Gallant so I guess it's an okay end to all this story. I just hope Laviolett fires everyone on the Caps who was in charge of special teams and brings his people in. Forsythe and Arniel were f***ing disgusting .

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Best looking coach since Adam Oates :naughty:

oates_adam640.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm talking about the difference between 2018 Kuzy and 2019/20 Kuzy. The difference between Trotz and TR. And simply hoping (like we all do) that Lavi can coax the good Kuzy out of slumber unlike TR... thats all.

And I was pointing out that 2019 Kuzy was not a new thing. A new coach might change him for next season but i will believe it when I see it

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi folks. Just wanted to congratulate you on what I believe is an excellent hire by your Team. It’s probably been stated many times but I’m on a break at work and don’t have time to review all the previous Posts (code for I’m being lazy)

I think Laviolette will keep the offensive game intact but be a strong enough influence to get players to buy in on more responsible work in the defensive side.

Gallant would have also been a good fit, but how nice is it to have the options at this point in time.

Excited for next Season for this Team

5852DA5A-C940-48B6-AA49-A1F7002FA65F.gif

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee

McCarthy is a former defenseman in the NHL and spent his final 3 professional seasons playing in the AHL for Hershey

Laviolette is a great coach IMO, but he loves McCarthy waaaay to much. McCarthy was an awful assistant who oversaw our league worst PP in 2018-2019 and our awful special teams this past season. You guys should pray Lavi doesn't bring him on board.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He’s going to want someone familiar on his staff. I’d be really surprised if McCarthy wasn’t with him.

We will see. He may also want to promote Carberry. Lots to digest and work thru. But that’s all part of it. I’m sure he’s got a loose plan in his head, and that BMac is aware of it. But it will need to be vetted and then of course implemented.

All in due time of course

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
GMBM mentioned 4 interview for coach. He traveled to one coach to interview and the other 2 were zoom.

Wonder who the 4th coach was?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wonder who the 4th coach was?
Boudreau was mentioned as getting a quick look earlier on. Not sure if it rose to that level but he did generally fit the experience aspect at least.

The assistants need to be reviewed before there's action. They'll have to fill Cashman's spot with the defense at the very least and that's a possibility for McCarthy if they do keep everyone else. I think it'd make sense to at least upgrade the goaltending coach with someone more experienced given what could be a much more pivotal and hands-on season.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
I think the comments about him being a high calibre individual are a hint at why he was chosen over Babs.

I know this is important to Ted. He doesn't suffer jerks at all and jerks doesn't make everyone around them better. I'm glad in the end they went with Lavi... on pretty much every metric.

I can totally see Ovie & the vets getting behind a guy like this. Able to mix in some humour to get through the tough grinding times.

tumblr_pgxv0nAnwV1xo8a2uo1_500.gifv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad