Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals Hire Peter Laviolette to be 19th Head Coach in Franchise History

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Didn’t really work out for Kevin Fiala under Laviolette.

(To be clear, Laviolette was still my preferred candidate, but I don’t think any coach is ever going to guarantee the success of young players and I think far too much has been pinned on the previous coaching staff for the development of Vrana)

I meant my comment more so in that it sounded like a dig at Rierden and the previous staff than a validation of what Lavi has done previously. Seems like everything he said was a comment on what irritated him about the last few years under Rierden.

Reactions: Calicaps

Jun 15, 2007
Hmm so I recall Trotz ended up getting 5x4.5m or something from the Isles right? Basically this contract ends the same time the Trotz one would have.

Ah well, second best time to fix a mistake is right now.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I meant my comment more so in that it sounded like a dig at Rierden and the previous staff than a validation of what Lavi has done previously. Seems like everything he said was a comment on what irritated him about the last few years under Rierden.

A dig at Reirden doesnt sound like MacLellan to me. That would also send the wrong message and set the wrong tone off the bat for Lavy.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
I was one of the many here who had Gallant as their first choice, but I'm super happy with Laviolette too, especially since I was terrified of ending up with Babcock.

Fun fact - Laviolette's teams have been shockingly consistent offensively throughout his career. Here's each team's GF/GP during his tenure and where that ranks in the NHL.

Carolina: 2.96 (8th)
Philly: 2.97 (5th)
Nashville: 2.94 (8th)

Something to keep in mind when the advanced stats crowd starts talking about how Laviolette kills his teams' offense. Here's the defensive side of the equation.

Carolina: 2.98 (19th)
Philly: 2.74 (16th)
Nashville: 2.63 (5th)

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I would not agree with that. He would have to take it seriously before any respect would have any impact.

Like I said, we will have to see. But a coach that can get his team to comeback from a 0-3 game deficit in a playoff series and then actually win it definitely knows how to push buttons.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As a Leafs fan, good hire for you guys. While his shelf life isn't huge, he gets buy in on his early days and is a motivating coach.
Good work on not hiring Babcock.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wanted Gallant but cautiously optimistic about Laviolette too, he's a good coach. Very curious to see who they can get as his assistants.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The only thing that surprises me about the timing of this hiring is that they didn't wait until after the finals to see if they wanted to interview any of the Stars assistant coaches. I don't prefer any of them to Laviolette, but I imagine in any other season (that didn't have Laviolette, Gallant, Boudreau, and Babcock all available simultaneously) they would be rather hot names. John Stevens probably isn't going to overly impress anyone at this point (although he's not a terrible NHL head coach), but Todd Nelson and Derek Laxdal are intriguing. Todd Nelson's stint as Edmonton's interim head coach wasn't great, but it was on an interim basis of the pre-McDavid Oilers (and Hall missed time due to injury). Since then he's won a Calder Cup with Grand Rapids and obviously been a part of the run in Dallas.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
McCarthy is a former defenseman in the NHL and spent his final 3 professional seasons playing in the AHL for Hershey
That seems very, very likely as he's sort of his Lane Lambert over the years. He seems to have handled both forwards and defense at times over the years but you'd think defense and PK would be the way to go. We'll see whether Arniel, Forsythe & Murray survive.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nice. This was the odds-on smart play as Ovie's contract winds down.

I'm not sure why 3 year terms trip people up. Isn't that the average tenure of an NHL coach? Situations like Trotz in NSH are rare.

Depending on how you count seasons, only 7-11 current coaches have been with their team longer than 3 years, which is close to the same amount who have been at their club for less than a year.

Not worried about any coach burning out when 3 yrs is the norm anyway.

Jun 15, 2007
Nice. This was the odds-on smart play as Ovie's contract winds down.

I'm not sure why 3 year terms trip people up. Isn't that the average tenure of an NHL coach? Situations like Trotz in NSH are rare.

Depending on how you count seasons, only 7-11 current coaches have been with their team longer than 3 years, which is close to the same amount who have been at their club for less than a year.

It's just surprising he agreed to it. Cup winning/Jack Adams coaches like Trotz and Babcock are getting 5-8 year deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad