Was this a goal?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
This was called a goal on the ice, and therefore when they went to review there was no conclusive evidence to overturn the call, so the goal stood.

A couple of things baffle me. If the ref saw the puck over the line, why did he review it? If you see the puck over the line, then there should have been no need to review it all. There also was never a whistle, so we can't go to the "intend to blow" fallback.

Then I see this tweet.

Now to be fair here, we don't know when this freeze frame was taken. For all we know this could have been after the puck was taken out of the net if it was in fact in the net.[/media]

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No one can really answer that. For all anyone knows, the person on Twitter intentionally used that picture because you can clearly see it isn't in, but later in the sequence you can't tell.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Rewatch the goal.

Hall was not in the goal till after the goal was scored.

After he went it and helped push the puck out of the crease.

You are right, that picture is a considerable amount of time after the goal and after Hall skated in to the goal and it sure looks like he helps the puck out of the net.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I doubt it was a goal.

Lack said it didn't go in and the ref only pointed a goal after the Bruins player yelled.

It was not a confident point either.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The call made after the review was '...it was determined the puck crossed the line..."

That seems to imply they saw a frame that showed puck over the line. Maybe not though.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was watching this game from the Devils broadcast. On the Devils broadcast, there was not an angle, video, or anything that showed it was a goal. I assumed the NHL had something that I didn't get to see, so I was shocked when it was called a goal. There was no evidence, at least from the Devils broadcast/video that showed it to be a goal. I assume something was out there, though.

If not - then it shouldn't be a goal. Period.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They can still review them even if he saw it was over the line. Sometimes they get things wrong on the ice.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I was watching this game from the Devils broadcast. On the Devils broadcast, there was not an angle, video, or anything that showed it was a goal. I assumed the NHL had something that I didn't get to see, so I was shocked when it was called a goal. There was no evidence, at least from the Devils broadcast/video that showed it to be a goal. I assume something was out there, though.

If it was called a goal on the ice (like it was), then they are looking for conclusive evidence that it DID NOT cross the line. Since you couldn't see the puck, the original call of goal has to stand.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

If the review is inconclusive then the call on the ice stands. Call on the ice was a goal.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016

If the call on the ice was a goal, they would need conclusive evidence that the puck did not go in to overturn it. Their might not have been any video that showed it go in for sure, but there might also have been no video that showed it not going in for sure. In that case, the call on the ice would stand.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was watching about 3 games at the same time on gamecenter so I was back and forth. I don't recall the ref initially stating it was a goal.I remember teh buzzer going off and no call. Am I wrong on that? I wasn't fully paying attention.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Looks like the ref saw the puck in after he came to look at it then pointed it a goal.

Hence...

If the review is inconclusive then the call on the ice stands. Call on the ice was a goal.

... this is correct if they didn't see any conclusive evidence either way from the replay.

I was watching about 3 games at the same time on gamecenter so I was back and forth. I don't recall the ref initially stating it was a goal.I remember teh buzzer going off and no call. Am I wrong on that? I wasn't fully paying attention.

Ref did announce call on the ice is a goal before they went on the phone.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Looks like the ref saw the puck in after he came to look at it then pointed it a goal.

Hence...

... this is correct.

Ref did announce call on the ice is a goal before they went on the phone.

Thank you for that. I was back and forth and the main thing that was weird to me is that no whistle blew for a loooong 3 seconds and then I saw them go to review. I admittedly was then focusing on the other games.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011

The ref didn't even point to the net. He skated to center ice and announced the call on the ice was a goal and that it would be reviewed. The Bruins player who had a clear view of the play didn't even celebrate after the initial play was over.

Reactions: ColePens

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Thank you for that. I was back and forth and the main thing that was weird to me is that no whistle blew for a loooong 3 seconds and then I saw them go to review. I admittedly was then focusing on the other games.

Yeah i was channel flipping too and tuned in right when the ref was making his announcement.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The ref didn't even point to the net. He skated to center ice and announced the call on the ice was a goal and that it would be reviewed. The Bruins player who had a clear view of the play didn't even celebrate after the initial play was over.

He points to the net at the end of the video you linked.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018

Clearly across the line in the overhead angle at :26. Sorry, Devils, but the refs got this one right.

If I see what I think you're referring to (between his blocker and the post? i mean i see black there so I'm assuming that's what you think is the puck vs. Lack's blocker/glove?), that's a hell of a call by the referee to somehow know that the puck is completely past the goal line. Like superhuman vision good.

The still in the OP is definitely after the ref started pointing, so it is worthless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad