News Article: Waiver Claim - Gabriel Dumont

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can they assign him directly to BTown, or would he have to clear waivers first?
Since we claimed him off waivers, Tbay would get first dibs to take him back if we were to try and send him down I think. After that, I think the teams that had priority after us would get another chance to put in a claim, but Idk for sure.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Can they assign him directly to BTown, or would he have to clear waivers first?

He won't see Belleville at any point this year. Dude is here for good. No way Melnyk is paying this guy NHL money to play in the AHL.

Hard to believe that there weren't better waiver options at any point this year.

Also, no one else in the league is gonna make a claim on this guy, so I think we are safe if we ever do decide to send him down.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He won't see Belleville at any point this year. Dude is here for good. No way Melnyk is paying this guy NHL money to play in the AHL.

Hard to believe that there weren't better waiver options at any point this year.

Also, no one else in the league is gonna make a claim on this guy, so I think we are safe if we ever do decide to send him down.
We couldn't find better waiver options because Dorion was very busy with his #1 priority signing Boro during waiver season.

Reactions: Chezzz

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Seriously? It's a move to add some depth in Bingo, and maybe another call up if needed.

I can understand that this move can be seen as a 4th line spot holder in lieu of calling up a young guy but there is no more Sens Bingo and he's not Belleville bound this year. He's on a one way so he was not picked up as B-Sens depth at least not for this year? Even if he is waived next year and goes there he will cost $300k ($200k AHL but $300k guaranteed minimum). That's not chicken feed in the AHL and that kind of dough usually reserved for top producing tweeners or journeymen defensemen.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
We couldn't find better waiver options because Dorion was very busy with his #1 priority signing Boro during waiver season.
Lol man that's ridiculous.. You are talking like they aren't able to multitask or when they are starting a task, ( exemple signing boro ) the only thing they are doing is talk with the agent until it is done.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ideal situation is to have 13 forwards, with the 13th being somebody who you don't screw up if he's in the pressbox half of the time. My guess is that's the role Dumont was brought in for.

Guys on pretty close to a league minimum deal. This is pretty inconsequential. Allows us to send Paul down when he's not playing games.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Lol man that's ridiculous.. You are talking like they aren't able to multitask or when they are starting a task, ( exemple signing boro ) the only thing they are doing is talk with the agent until it is done.

You're sarcasm radar isn't working. Time for a checkup. :)

Reactions: Cosmix

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I can understand that this move can be seen as a 4th line spot holder in lieu of calling up a young guy but there is no more Sens Bingo and he's not Belleville bound this year. He's on a one way so he was not picked up as B-Sens depth at least not for this year? Even if he is waived next year and goes there he will cost $300k. That's not chicken feed in the AHL and that kind of dough usually reserved for top producing tweeners or journeymen defensemen.

With the contracts of Burrows, Thompson, Pyatt, Zach Smith, McCormick and now Dumont we now already have 13 forwards signed for next year (12 if you don't count RFA Stone). Looks like Brown, White, Chlapik will get to continue to "mature". Even if we don't include Dumont here, Dorion has basically blocked any young forward from even having a chance to be part of this lineup barring a trade. Brutal.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Ideal situation is to have 13 forwards, with the 13th being somebody who you don't screw up if he's in the pressbox half of the time. My guess is that's the role Dumont was brought in for.

Guys on pretty close to a league minimum deal. This is pretty inconsequential. Allows us to send Paul down when he's not playing games.

Fun spoiler!

This sounds right and it may also be Didomenico who goes back if it's not Paul

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With the contracts of Burrows, Thompson, Pyatt, Zach Smith, McCormick and now Dumont we now already have 13 forwards signed for next year (12 if you don't count RFA Stone). Looks like Brown, White, Chlapik will get to continue to "mature". Even if we don't include Dumont here, Dorion has basically blocked any young forward from even having a chance to be part of this lineup barring a trade. Brutal.

Dumont is on a 2 way for next year, so it's 12 forwards, and a guy like McCormick will likely be seen as the 13th forward (or waived) if one of the rookies looks ready to challenge for a spot. .

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
You're sarcasm radar isn't working. Time for a checkup. :)

There is a sarcasm icon( :sarcasm: ) when you want to be clear about sarcasm. With his last few post around here.. How can we tell for certain that it was sarcasm? He is ''bashing'' the Sens management left and right. ( that's his right to do it ) So I think that thinking it wasn't sarcasm was legit.

If it was.. then my apologies to him and my sarcasm radar would be check :P... but sincerely.. that message wasn't for him alone since it is a common theme around here.

Like.. 4th liner is sign... Poster : What the heck is he doing... that's a top 6 we need !!!!!

... Well yeah, maybe he is working on acquiring one and was looking for a 4th liner at the same time.. you know doing more then one thing.

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dumont is on a 2 way for next year, so it's 12 forwards, and a guy like McCormick will likely be seen as the 13th forward (or waived) if one of the rookies looks ready to challenge for a spot. .

I understand that. Sooooo, how does that change what I said? There is still absolutely no room for any young player to break in with the team.

FYI, since you didn't see it, this was the message I was replying to:

Even if he is waived next year and goes there he will cost $300k. That's not chicken feed in the AHL and that kind of dough usually reserved for top producing tweeners or journeymen defensemen.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Grabbing this guy instead of giving the young guys a chance sucks. There is clearly no offensive upside to his game and he is small. Rather have Paul in the lineup I guess thats it for his chance with the sens.

This. I am not pleased if this move blocks Nick Paul from playing... I seriously don't see what's wrong with Paul. There's also Colin White that is going to be worthy of a call-up really soon.

What happens when Smith comes back?

Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-Thompson-Dumont
Didomenico (2-way)

No spot for White and/or Paul...

McCormick on a 1-way still baffles me

It's basically $200,000 in the AHL this year, $650,000 in the AHL next year (aka probably $450,000 wasted on the Belleville budget)

Already 11 forwards on the roster next year (MacArthur most likely won't play) :

Ryan, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Brassard, Smith, Pageau, Dzingel, Pyatt, Thompson, Burrows

Only 2 spots left between :

White, Chlapik, Paul, Dumont, Brown, Formenton, Batherson, Gagné & Perron

I don't see how McCormick can end up being of the last 2 guys who claim a roster spot

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
There is a sarcasm icon( :sarcasm: ) when you want to be clear about sarcasm. With his last few post around here.. How can we tell for certain that it was sarcasm? He is ''bashing'' the Sens management left and right. ( that's his right to do it ) So I think that thinking it wasn't sarcasm was legit.

If it was.. then my apologies to him... but sincerely.. that message wasn't for him alone since it is a common theme around here.

Like.. 4th liner is sign... Poster : What the heck is he doing... that's a top 6 we need !!!!!

... Well yeah, maybe he is working on acquiring one and was looking for a 4th liner at the same time.. you know doing more then one thing.

Oh I think you are right FQL was bashing Dorion but in a wry way (dry humor) It was actually quite good. Not only was he saying Dorion could have done better on this pickup but in the same breath he also got in a pretty good dig at the Boro signing. This kind of sneak shot is better when you don't use the icon.

You may not always agree with a poster but you have to appreciate the skill with the pen! I quite enjoyed the double hit.

Reactions: Newgates59

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Oh I think you are right FQL was bashing Dorion but in a wry way (dry humor) It was actually quite good. Not only was he saying Dorion could have done better on this pickup but in the same breath he also got in a pretty good dig at the Boro signing. This kind of sneak shot is better when you don't use the icon.

You may not always agree with a poster but you have to appreciate the skill with the pen! I quite enjoyed the double hit.
Not to change the subject, but i mean i will laugh to a post even if it bash if i found it funny. So it isn't personal.. This one i didn't because i found the subject ridiculous and a common thing that is repeated more then it should, but let's say we laugh at Dorion and his high five thing... i will laugh

Foe exemple, i found Dorion ridiculous when in his presser today he said : we are very excited to acquired Dumont... That would probably give him a couple high five, hug comment :P

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I understand that. Sooooo, how does that change what I said? There is still absolutely no room for any young player to break in with the team.

FYI, since you didn't see it, this was the message I was replying to:

Even if he is waived next year and goes there he will cost $300k. That's not chicken feed in the AHL and that kind of dough usually reserved for top producing tweeners or journeymen defensemen.
It changes things in that teams typically like to keep 13 forwards with the big club, McCormick is the 12th guy, and will be seen as the 13th, leaving one spot open for a rookie to push for a roster spot. McCormick is also likely to get the Prince/Puempel treatment, only without the pedigree he won't be given as much leash (not that the others got much). This means he's likely as anyone to get waived.

With regards to your Chicken feed comment, they likely have no issues paying Dumont 300k in the AHL given the past AHL contracts they've signed; Stortini was getting 200k in the past, Blunden getting 275k coming off the books after this year, Taylor is getting 250, and will be off the books. Reinhart may be gone too (150k). Dumont produces more than those guys at the AHL level *(Taylor just included due to salary opening up)

To me, this is about replacing Blunden next year while bolstering depth for this year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Pyatt-Thompson-Dumont
Didomenico (2-way)

This is not a very good NHL roster. Unfortunately, this is what we have for next year now too, minus Didomenico. You know for sure that we will signing a "depth guy" to fill out that 4th line because "development".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad