Blue Jays Discussion: waiting on the right moves to materialize

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Braves DFA Anthony Varvaro. I don't really understand why but okay, he is an easy claim. Heck, I think Jays should try trading for him since it is unlikely they can win the claim.

2.63 ERA last year in 54.2 IP, 2.82 in 73.1 IP the prior year. Throws in low-mid 90's (average of around 93). 49.7% and 47.2% groundball rates the last two years as well. He's not even arbitration eligible right now... so uhh, get him Jays.

Very much hope he falls into our hands somehow. I'm sure they could easily trade him even if it's for a nothing prospect. Something must be up with him

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Alex Rios - 1 year/11 million with KC.

Wow, how does he manage to get that much? Sure, its a 1 year deal but still that's way too many dollars.

Also, are the Orioles going to do anything this off-season? They've lost Cruz and Markakis and haven't replaced them. The FA is starting to run out of OF.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You have nothing to back up this biased claim. Preferring Syndergaard over Sanchez isn't an "instant switch." The guy posts his rankings either annually or semi-annually, not monthly. A lot can happen in that time frame. And the reasons themselves are logical, therefore not questionable. His main concern with Stroman was that no other SP had pitched like an ace at the MLB level at his height (he's even shorter than Sonny Gray, who is also considered small and an outlier), and had a propensity for giving up the long ball, perhaps due to lack of downward plane on the fastball. He didn't think Stroman would bust, just thought he had more of a future as a Tom Gordon type. I'd say those are legit reasons (even if proven wrong), that don't point toward bias more than just a strong opinion, as Nasty Nazem said.

As far as Sanchez, the Jays changed his delivery, which Law believed affected his command and tempered his enthusiasm on him. Again, a good reason. We'll see if he's wrong or right. There's just not enough there to play the bias card. Law is very vocal on who he doesn't like, but is always quick to admit his mistakes. This goes for all organizations, not just the Jays.

there is plenty to back up this claim, as has been outlined already. from him ranking the jays system far below any other ranker only to see all the main prospects do better than he thought they would, to his instantaneous flipflop on syndergaard and sanchez after noah was traded, to his effusive praise of the mets' development and severe criticism of the jays' development even while a guy like noah performed better in the jays' system, and to his refusal to offer similar praise to the jays' development after so many prospects took great leap forwards even when he was more down on these prospects than any other media evaluator.

its all there in black and white.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wow, how does he manage to get that much? Sure, its a 1 year deal but still that's way too many dollars.

Also, are the Orioles going to do anything this off-season? They've lost Cruz and Markakis and haven't replaced them. The FA is starting to run out of OF.

They have the prospects to trade for Upton. Wonder if they'd be foolish enough to trade for both brothers in order to get a discount on Justin.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
there is plenty to back up this claim, as has been outlined already. from him ranking the jays system far below any other ranker only to see all the main prospects do better than he thought they would, to his instantaneous flipflop on syndergaard and sanchez after noah was traded, to his effusive praise of the mets' development and severe criticism of the jays' development even while a guy like noah performed better in the jays' system, and to his refusal to offer similar praise to the jays' development after so many prospects took great leap forwards even when he was more down on these prospects than any other media evaluator.

its all there in black and white.

I already addressed the fact that it wasn't an instantaneous flip flop. And he's not the only pundit who criticized the Jays' approach to developing pitchers. Hell, even AA himself admitted he was pushing guys too slowly and changed things up this past year. And he's praised Norris plenty after his turnaround. Not black and white at all, all things considered. It seems like you may be biased when evaluating Keith Law for bias :sarcasm:. Like I said, we'll see where he places them in this year's rankings. I'm thinking we see a change.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Welcome Colby Rasmus. Although, he's not really linked to them anymore.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Rios is an odd fit
KC looked so good with the young kids getting a chance

Rios is a decent option to replace Aoki. He's a far better defensive player, just doesn't get on base as much.

KC's young core is still intact. Perez, Hosmer, Moustakas, Ventura are all under 25. The bullpen is money and they are all 28 and younger.

The issue is the ace. They need a guy that eats quality innings and will probably lose Shields.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
@Ken_Rosenthal: #Padres have signed free-agent RHP Brandon Morrow to one-year deal, per @FollowThePadres. Team had offered about $2.5M plus incentives.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
@Ken_Rosenthal: #Padres have signed free-agent RHP Brandon Morrow to one-year deal, per @FollowThePadres. Team had offered about $2.5M plus incentives.

Funny how pitchers always end up in San Diego to establish value. :sarcasm:

Simcoe23

Feb 2, 2011
Funny how pitchers always end up in San Diego to establish value. :sarcasm:

4 Cy Young award winners since 1976- thats 10.5% of the total in the 38 years, which is about double their share based on 15 teams. Until I looked it up I actually thought it was less than that, which would have been somewhat ironic considering its the best pitcher park in baseball.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Morrow for 2.5 million??? wow steal. He would have been a good reliever with Martin behind the plate. Damn the guy has closer written all over him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Did I miss the Donaldson media introduction? They usually do it within a week or two of the transaction.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Morrow for 2.5 million??? wow steal. He would have been a good reliever with Martin behind the plate. Damn the guy has closer written all over him.

I read that he has incentives in the deal and an earn as much as $5m as a starter. He obviously picked a team that's willing to give him a pretty good shot at being a starter and not just shoehorning him into a relief role (even if that would be the best option for him at this point)

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Rays trade Matt Joyce to the Angels for Jepsen. That's a nice little deal for the Angels.

Rays usually have little offense every year but man, that team is not nearly as scary as it once used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad