GDT: Wait, another game? TOOTTAWA

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It's interesting that you put it that way. Just because good stuff happens when he's on the ice doesn't mean it's directly related to him, does it? The eye test sure doesn't show it. Also, I think most of us have realistically stated that he's going to keep playing.
Yeah those stats remind me a lot of the arguments people were making last year when saying Dougie was carrying Slavin defensively

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's interesting that you put it that way. Just because good stuff happens when he's on the ice doesn't mean it's directly related to him, does it? The eye test sure doesn't show it. Also, I think most of us have realistically stated that he's going to keep playing.

Given his position, role on the team and the way his line will play (forecheck and cycle), GAP shouldn't define the narrative about his play this season. He's provided positive value to the club despite not scoring much. Whether that's worth $6 mil on the cap is a separate matter.

Reactions: geehaad

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Given his position, role on the team and the way his line will play (forecheck and cycle), GAP shouldn't define the narrative about his play this season. He's provided positive value to the club despite not scoring much. Whether that's worth $6 mil on the cap is a separate matter.
disagree.gif

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Agree, his line has actually done fairly well, but the eye test really suggests that can be attributed to Nino and Fast both of whom have had great seasons so far. Staal has been an absolute black hole offensively and looks a step slower than he normally is. Most concerning though is his physicality. He goes to hit guys and just bounces off them like he has absolutely no strength. In the past even when he wasn't producing points he was a force to be reckoned with in terms of possession and physicality. Not so much this season for whatever reason...

And yeah this is just us dreaming, he obviously isn't losing his spot in the lineup any time soon.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Agree, his line has actually done fairly well, but the eye test really suggests that can be attributed to Nino and Fast both of whom have had great seasons so far. Staal has been an absolute black hole offensively and looks a step slower than he normally is. Most concerning though is his physicality. He goes to hit guys and just bounces off them like he has absolutely no strength. In the past even when he wasn't producing points he was a force to be reckoned with in terms of possession and physicality. Not so much this season for whatever reason...

And yeah this is just us dreaming, he obviously isn't losing his spot in the lineup any time soon.
Yeah, I'm most concerned by his style of play. Even when we all wanted more from him during the years he produced less and we sucked, the value was much easier to see and to see how it directly tied to him. Last season, it wasn't just entirely the production, it was how he looked getting it. He was a joy to watch. Not so much this season.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's crazy. I see the same things y'all see. Dude is 33 years old. I get that the man has logged some heavy ass minutes in his 15 years in the league, but he plays like he's 37 or 38. I wonder if maybe Jordo needs to slim down a few this offseason? I don't know. It seems like his skating and footspeed aren't as good as they were before, but it's hard to believe we are seeing such a decline in just one year. He was in beast mode last year and in the playoffs.

There has to be an injury, right? What else could explain the drop-off?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
All MPs do is arrest Joe for battering his wife in on-post housing and hand out speeding tickets. So never really got into watching Reacher.

So what you are saying, is that you can't get into anything that doesn't have basis in reality.

Much of the Reacher stories (and movies), he's not in the military, that was just the background. Even so, it's called fiction for a reason.

If "having a storyline be 100% realistic" is a requirement, then I assume you only watch documentaries? :sarcasm:

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So what you are saying, is that you can't get into anything that doesn't have basis in reality.

Much of the Reacher stories (and movies), he's not in the military, that was just the background. Even so, it's called fiction for a reason.

If "having a storyline be 100% realistic" is a requirement, then I assume you only watch documentaries? :sarcasm:
The inability of Suspension of disbelief is definitely a thing for some folks. For most of those “some folks,” I feel like it’s more of a “badge of honor” thing in their head.

Lee Child has described MPs, many times, as complete badasses because they have to deal with all of the other badasses in the military, who happen to exhibit criminal behavior.

A friend of mine’s father in law was an MP …. He’s no badass. He’s a 5’5” rotund piece of …fat.

I suspend disbelief just fine.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The inability of Suspension of disbelief is definitely a thing for some folks. For most of those “some folks,” I feel like it’s more of a “badge of honor” thing in their head.

Lee Child has described MPs, many times, as complete badasses because they have to deal with all of the other badasses in the military, who happen to exhibit criminal behavior.

A friend of mine’s father in law was an MP …. He’s no badass. He’s a 5’5” rotund piece of …fat.

I suspend disbelief just fine.
Yep, it’s like Clive Cussler making ocean scientists into superheroes. Or Jeffrey Deaver making a paraplegic a super crime solver, etc

if you want to read/watch fiction (and enjoy it) you have to suspend reality.

edit: and not knocking more realistic books. One of my favorites is “the cruel sea” by Nicholas Mondorrat.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yep, it’s like Clive Cussler making ocean scientists into superheroes. Or Jeffrey Deaver making a paraplegic a super crime solver, etc

if you want to read/watch fiction (and enjoy it) you have to suspend reality.

edit: and not knocking more realistic books. One of my favorites is “the cruel sea” by Nicholas Mondorrat.
Literally reading Atlantis Found right now (having already read a bunch of others)

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
"Dirk Pitt" is an all0-time great name too.

Huh? Al Giordino rocks.

I have every book in hardback. I know that makes me a giant nerd but I'm good with that.
Not gonna lie, Isaac Bell was my first introduction to Clive Cussler (other than the movie Sahara which I didn't realize was CC until later and is drastically different than the book). I think it was around Father's Day like 9 years ago, old Ed McKay's used bookstore in Winston, had a big CC display and I picked up The Wrecker and been enjoying many of the novels ever since

Reactions: hockeynjune

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Not gonna lie, Isaac Bell was my first introduction to Clive Cussler (other than the movie Sahara which I didn't realize was CC until later and is drastically different than the book). I think it was around Father's Day like 9 years ago, old Ed McKay's used bookstore in Winston, had a big CC display and I picked up The Wrecker and been enjoying many of the novels ever since

Ole Clive has provided many good hours riding a hammock living vicariously through Dirk doing the admirals biding.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Ole Clive has provided many good hours riding a hammock living vicariously through Dirk doing the admirals biding.
For me it's perfect before-bed reading (though admittedly it takes me forever sometimes to get through a book when I pass out after 2 pages)...it's easy, well-paced, entertaining reading that doesn't require deep concentration or mental gymnastics to follow. Something I can unwind to and turn my mind off so I can sleep

EDIT: Also a lot of his older books I can get used at the new(er) McKays for $0.50-1.50

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Yes, it needs to have a "basis" in reality for me. It can go in many directions from there. That doesn't mean 100% realistic.

There is a reason why Hollywood pays military advisors big bucks to get the details right (ie, Boscht, American Sniper, hell nearly every military related film now) as opposed to the 1970s where some mustachioed freak bought a jacket from an Army Navy store and threw some upside down badges and patches on it.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
For me it's perfect before-bed reading (though admittedly it takes me forever sometimes to get through a book when I pass out after 2 pages)...it's easy, well-paced, entertaining reading that doesn't require deep concentration or mental gymnastics to follow. Something I can unwind to and turn my mind off so I can sleep

EDIT: Also a lot of his older books I can get used at the new(er) McKays for $0.50-1.50

A lot of mine came from the Kay. Agree on the easy reads. Big shock going from Clancey to Cussler and back.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
A lot of mine came from the Kay. Agree on the easy reads. Big shock going from Clancey to Cussler and back.
I read Red Storm Rising by Clancey a few years ago, it took me FOREVER to finish (seriously like 5 months of pre-bed reading) and it felt less like a novel and more like a documentary/historical record. Which wasn't bad, but a lot of it felt like fluff to the main plot line(s)

Reactions: hockeynjune

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad