GDT: Wait, another game? TOOTTAWA

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is it that good? Never watched the movies, but figured that isn't a big deal

As S1C2 mentioned, the casting is better than the movies so I ended up liking it better than the movie. I've read all the Reacher books and a key trait of Reacher, is that he's 6'4"-6'5", 250 lbs, mound of muscle in the books. It's actually a key part of a lot of what happens in the books. So what do they do in the movies? Get 5'7" Tom Cruise to play Reacher. Bizarre casting decision. Cruise wasn't bad in the role, but for anybody who read the books, it just threw the whole thing off.

In the Prime series, they got the right guy for the movie AND he played his role very true to the character of the book. I enjoyed it much more than movies.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Six weeks ahead of the deadline? I think they've both played enough that teams would know they are in the 6/7 dman range and that Bear might be capable of more.
Umm, you don't have to wait for the deadline to make a deal. I also didn't mention Bear specifically but he could be a target of some teams but so could Smith as he has played well but so has Cole. For example only, it has been long rumored that Vladimir Tarasenko wants out of St. Louis. If the Canes were interested in him ( they should be as I worry about their offense ) and could move the right players ( cap space ) why wait until the deadline because if you snooze you lose. Hey it could be that they were or are working on a deal to move Cole and were protecting him from injury. It is that time of the year where speculation will run rampant. Would you have interest in Tarasenko?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I was very worried about scoring before the season started and not as much about defense; now I'm pretty much the opposite. Jarvis Kotkaniemi and even Stepan have shown that we have scoring depth to rival anyone if healthy or mostly healthy, but Bear and Cole haven't been as solid as expected, plus pesce not being himself has us pretty shallow on d. I still don't think deangelo is a top pair defenseman either despite being pleasantly surprised by his offense and composure.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I was very worried about scoring before the season started and not as much about defense; now I'm pretty much the opposite. Jarvis Kotkaniemi and even Stepan have shown that we have scoring depth to rival anyone if healthy or mostly healthy, but Bear and Cole haven't been as solid as expected, plus pesce not being himself has us pretty shallow on d. I still don't think deangelo is a top pair defenseman either despite being pleasantly surprised by his offense and composure.

Pesce has been a surprise because at 27, he should be in his prime. I've mentioned this before that his post November injury play (plus Covid right after) this year has been suspect...prior to that, he was in fine form.

It was mentioned earlier, but Drury or a trade target as 3rd or 4th C would give us more than what we are getting from Staal. Lower body injury, shoulder or just washed up...who knows but we need more.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As S1C2 mentioned, the casting is better than the movies so I ended up liking it better than the movie. I've read all the Reacher books and a key trait of Reacher, is that he's 6'4"-6'5", 250 lbs, mound of muscle in the books. It's actually a key part of a lot of what happens in the books. So what do they do in the movies? Get 5'7" Tom Cruise to play Reacher. Bizarre casting decision. Cruise wasn't bad in the role, but for anybody who read the books, it just threw the whole thing off.

In the Prime series, they got the right guy for the movie AND he played his role very true to the character of the book. I enjoyed it much more than movies.

I hate when the supposed "star power" goes before the source material.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix bombed for a plethora of reasons, but one of them certainly was that the name of the actress of the eponymous character Sophie Turner (of GoT fame) was mentioned in the pre and post marketing somewhere around fifth after the A-list folks whose characters never factored anyhow in the original story.

"This summer! Go watch X-Men: Dark Phoenix, with JENNIFER LAWRENCE AS MYSTIQUE!"

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Pesce has been a surprise because at 27, he should be in his prime. I've mentioned this before that his post November injury play (plus Covid right after) this year has been suspect...prior to that, he was in fine form.

It was mentioned earlier, but Drury or a trade target as 3rd or 4th C would give us more than what we are getting from Staal. Lower body injury, shoulder or just washed up...who knows but we need more.
We literally have Kotkaniemi playing a 4C role because of Staal...simplest solution is just to swap them and see how KK does in a bigger role. If he flops, move up Stepan

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
We literally have Kotkaniemi playing a 4C role because of Staal...simplest solution is just to swap them and see how KK does in a bigger role. If he flops, move up Stepan

Yeah I like Drury but even if we take Staal out of the lineup I'm completely comfortable with and would prefer JK slotting in at 3C. We've had extra centers anyways without Drury. Roll with something like this (can of course shift around the top 9 but those should be the guys in the top 9. Bottom line is rock solid too):

SAT (please Rod bring this back)
Nino - Tro - Necas
Jarvis - JK - Fast
Lorentz - Stepan - Martinook

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

All MPs do is arrest Joe for battering his wife in on-post housing and hand out speeding tickets. So never really got into watching Reacher.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah I like Drury but even if we take Staal out of the lineup I'm completely comfortable with and would prefer JK slotting in at 3C. We've had extra centers anyways without Drury. Roll with something like this (can of course shift around the top 9 but those should be the guys in the top 9. Bottom line is rock solid too):

SAT (please Rod bring this back)
Nino - Tro - Necas
Jarvis - JK - Fast
Lorentz - Stepan - Martinook
As much as I appreciate Stepan, I think we have a little more punch if we slotted Drury in as 4C, but at the very least rotate them through a playoff run.

Right now, Jordo is below replacement level. He barely contributes offensively and it's only a matter of time before he's a burden defensively as well.

As much attention as people want to give the KK contract, the real boat anchor that is going to prevent us from doing anything at the deadline is Staal and his $6m this year and next. We can't move on from that contract soon enough.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Watch Staal.

He literally skates from between the 2 circles in the d zone to between the 2 circles in the o zone and lazily waves his stick at people. The sad part is he's behind the play a lot just doing that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Watch Staal.

He literally skates from between the 2 circles in the d zone to between the 2 circles in the o zone and lazily waves his stick at people. The sad part is he's behind the play a lot just doing that.
I wonder if Staal and Pesce are playing hurt. It would explain so much

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
As much as I appreciate Stepan, I think we have a little more punch if we slotted Drury in as 4C, but at the very least rotate them through a playoff run.

Right now, Jordo is below replacement level. He barely contributes offensively and it's only a matter of time before he's a burden defensively as well.

As much attention as people want to give the KK contract, the real boat anchor that is going to prevent us from doing anything at the deadline is Staal and his $6m this year and next. We can't move on from that contract soon enough.
Maybe this is heresy, but is Jordan in buy-out territory this off-season?

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
That's part of why I threw in Brindy knows this as well as anyone in my earlier reference to Jordo's play. He ended up getting forced out at the end.

Yep, I remember Brindy having the worst +/- on the team by a mile that last season. Tough way for a guy like that to go out. Jordan isn't in that territory yet, though. We'll see, I guess.

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yep, I remember Brindy having the worst +/- on the team by a mile that last season. Tough way for a guy like that to go out. Jordan isn't in that territory yet, though. We'll see, I guess.
Agreed, he isn't there, but he is not even close to living up to his pay rate. And we've all discussed that this front office doesn't necessarily live on sentimentality. They also have made moves before that wouldn't seem like they would have had the Brindy stamp of approval.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
^^^^
Drury did really well in his short stint as C winning face offs.

Staal is a boat anchor right now and the team needs to change him out. If he’s injured, sit him out and let him get healthy for the playoff run. If it’s not an injury then at minimum he should be 4C or probably more appropriately benched. This team can win the Cup this year…no time to be soft about this.

btw: if he was playing physical then I could see the 4C but he’s not even playing heavy this year.

Reactions: Stickpucker

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Agree on Staal but I think you may be overrating Drury and underrating Stepan. Stepan has been really good this year in a limited role. He is top 5 in scoring with his 7 goals and 14 points amongst players with 12 min. or less TOI/game. And 2 of the players above him play significant powerplay time while he's had none. Stepan has been an absolute beast on that 4th line and despite Drury's hot start I really do not think that he'd have more of an impact on that 4th line than Stepan has.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Per NST, Staal has been on the ice for more GF/60 (+.11) and fewer GA/60 (-.09) than last season, when he, probably, overproduced. That can't be explained by PDO, which is lower this year than last year.

Good things have happened when he's on the ice. He's not getting scratched. Sorry.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Okay, I saw the 0-4 score last night in the 2nd and I gave up. I'm just now seeing the score and also I just saw a tweet from our PA announcer, 0.1 from overtime. For real? Damn that hurts man.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Per NST, Staal has been on the ice for more GF/60 (+.11) and fewer GA/60 (-.09) than last season, when he, probably, overproduced. That can't be explained by PDO, which is lower this year than last year.

Good things have happened when he's on the ice. He's not getting scratched. Sorry.
It's interesting that you put it that way. Just because good stuff happens when he's on the ice doesn't mean it's directly related to him, does it? The eye test sure doesn't show it. Also, I think most of us have realistically stated that he's going to keep playing.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Okay, I saw the 0-4 score last night in the 2nd and I gave up. I'm just now seeing the score and also I just saw a tweet from our PA announcer, 0.1 from overtime. For real? Damn that hurts man.

To be clear, we were 0.1 from having scored a goal at the end of the 1st period to make it 2-1. Butterfly flaps its wings, etc., we have no idea how the rest of the game would’ve gone. But yeah, bummer to have that one taken off the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad