W. Nylander over 90p

Did you ever think W Nylander would e become a 90+ point player?

• No

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • No, I was one of those who thought William would be a bust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Yes and his ceiling is even higher

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Swedish players usually have a longer development and later prime. Lidstrom, Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson, Naslund the Sedins, Zetterberg, Hedman etc. all played their best hockey in their late 20’s/early 30’s. Their are some exceptions, like Karlsson, but Nylander’s development arc is pretty standard for Swedes.

Reactions: Petrus and banks

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Swedish players usually have a longer development and later prime. Lidstrom, Sundin, Forsberg, Alfredsson, Naslund the Sedins, Zetterberg, Hedman etc. all played their best hockey in their late 20’s/early 30’s. Their are some exceptions, like Karlsson, but Nylander’s development arc is pretty standard for Swedes.

This is a really interesting point. I never would have agreed with you, but your examples are undeniable. Great post, and I'm a smarter hockey fan for having read it.

As for the poll question: No. I never thought he would hit 90 points. I was a fan, I was thrilled when he was drafted, and I even have a Nylander jersey. But I still thought his ceiling was about as good as his dad, and Michael only hit 80 points once. So I was expecting an electric and entertaining 70~ish point guy who could maybe hit the point-per-game mark in his peak years.

Reactions: Mickey Marner

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He was a dominant player in Sweden and the AHL. He has flaws in his game (like most players), but his talent is obvious and undeniable.

It seems to me that predictions he would be a bust or would fail to produce much in the NHL for a player hyped as much as he was were generally based on shallow and idiotic thinking like, "lulz he looks kind of delicate; he's just a pretty boy who won't be able to hack it in the big League" rather than anything of substance.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Thought he was a 70 point guy. I’m still desperately holding on to the belief. Maybe soon I’ll start shitting on other parts of his game to feel better about myself.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If anything in more surprised it took him until his 26 year old season to be a PPG player.

He had a really good 20 year old season with 61 points. Which was not so far off from Marner who had 69 points at the same age

After that though, Marner lapped him in production for years and it never seemed right. I mean, Marner was always the better player but the production gap shouldn't have been as big as it was imo.

Marner got more ice time, Nylander didn’t until this year. This is the first year he’s getting more than 16-18 minutes a game and permanent PP1 time.

Reactions: Felidae

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yes, he scored more points in the Worlds than Kucherov, and he always had blatant outrageous skating, stick skills and a deadly shot as well, the whole package if you so will. I'm on record on this site saying he had superstar potential (scoring wise, not necessarily as an overall player). I thought he could easily pot 100+ points if just given the opportunity, and he's doing it on the Leafs now away from both Matthews and Marner 5-on-5, dragging around guys like washed up cement-footed version Tavares and Todd Bertuzzi's nephew.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Nah I think his improvement is for real. The eye test screams 100+ points star player this season. Off course he could regress due to injury or lack of effort next season but he’s certainly looked better and better and should be an established star throughout his prime.

I completely agree he looks like a f***ing super star this year. I just don't think he will recreate it next year. A lot of what has impressed me is his attitude and effort that has propelled him there, we will see

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Yes, he scored more points in the Worlds than Kucherov, and he always had blatant outrageous skating, stick skills and a deadly shot as well, the whole package if you so will. I'm on record on this site saying he had superstar potential (scoring wise, not necessarily as an overall player). I thought he could easily pot 100+ points if just given the opportunity, and he's doing it on the Leafs now away from both Matthews and Marner 5-on-5, dragging around guys like washed up cement-footed version Tavares and Todd Bertuzzi's nephew.

He reminds of Alexei Kovalev. Flawless offensively skills wise, but often production doesn't measure up to the the eye test that you see when you watch him play which is kind of not great if you aren't great going both ways. This year its all coming off though

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anybody that watches him every game and was paying attention knew he could do this you knew there was another level to his game baring an injury he probably hits 100 points this year.

It's the same thing with Marner if you watch him every night you know he's capable of 100+ points but he always misses a few games.

Nylander baring an injury will break 100 points

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yeah I first started to think he had a good chance of being this calibre of player when he dominated the AHL as a teenager.

yeaher

May 3, 2019

Forsberg put up his biggest point total as a 22 year old, granted the NHL became a slogfest, but he is not like the others. He was a natural. His game so pure and perfect, no development was needed. Guy was el primo from day one.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As a Habs fan, I always thought Nylander was the only one of the Leafs core who legit showed up in the playoffs. Rich that they wanted to trade him and hard balled him but not the softies who disappear.

I've been saying it for a while... Marner is the most expandable of the three. Should have been dealt for a D or something a bit ago.

Im a little surprised how much Nylander is producing this year, but yeah, he's their best playoff player.

Reactions: Gravity

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yes I've been saying it for over nearly 3 years now, he elevated his game big time in the second half of 2021 and has continued to improve since.

Reactions: Petrus

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Willie always came across as a high skill guy who didn't put up points that efficiently early in his career, but it has really clicked in the last 2 years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

But even Karlsson had over 100 points last year at 32, only defensemen ever to score 100 in his 30s I believe

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
If anything in more surprised it took him until his 26 year old season to be a PPG player.

He had a really good 20 year old season with 61 points. Which was not so far off from Marner who had 69 points at the same age

After that though, Marner lapped him in production for years and it never seemed right. I mean, Marner was always the better player but the production gap shouldn't have been as big as it was imo.
Yeah I'm surprised as well considering his tools always looked elite like his skating, shot and passing ability

Reactions: Felidae

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad