W. Nylander over 90p

Did you ever think W Nylander would e become a 90+ point player?

• No

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • No, I was one of those who thought William would be a bust

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • Yes and his ceiling is even higher

Votes: 23 29.9%

• Total voters

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Great season from Willy, and props to him, he's a great player - but I don't think it's helpful categorizing these things in terms of pure production. A '90 -point player' isn't what it used to be so I wouldn't have faulted anyone who thought he didn't have that potential.

For instance, Willy was drafted in 2014. In the 3 years following, only 2 players got 90 points or higher. In 2017-18 scoring took a jump and 9 players hit the 90 point mark that season. and scoring's been trending upwards ever since. Last season 19 players hit the 90-point mark

It's better to talk in terms of league scoring. Willy sits 7 right now and will finish in the top 10. This is likely a career year for him or he'll have 1 or 2 more like that. So maybe ask if people ever thought he'd be a top 10 producer in his prime? That's hard to say for any draftee on in their draft year, but generally you're hoping a top 10 pick chosen for his offensive skillset has that ability. Has definitely been a big breakout year for him

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I mean I thought he had 100+ in him as recently as a couple years ago. He always had the skill to get there, but he's got the "it" factor as well it seems. Out of any Leaf, he's the one I trust most to perform in the playoffs.

Reactions: Petrus

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Answered "no".

At the draft I wanted the Canucks to draft him. I was more about ehlers but I recognized the talent. Having said this I thought he was more a 70-80 point complimentary piece.

He's having a great career.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Answered "no".

At the draft I wanted the Canucks to draft him. I was more about ehlers but I recognized the talent. Having said this I thought he was more a 70-80 point complimentary piece.

He's having a great career.
In 2014, when Nylander was drafted, 80 points would put you 7th in NHL scoring.

Today, Nylander is 7th in NHL scoring as well.

So your prediction was accurate, outside of the fact that scoring has gone up.

And the complementary piece part. He's clearly an offensive driver.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
huh? who thought he would be a bust?

even his very first full season in the league he had 61 points which at the time was top 40 in the league, that's already a pretty good result for an 8th overall even if he had never improved beyond that

Reactions: Matsun

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I definitely underrated him. He's just continued to improve. It also helps that the league has continued to get faster and favor his skillset. But he's also put in a ton of work on getting stronger on pucks.

If I recall, I thought he'd be a ~60-70 point guy, but to be fair, that was back in 2014 when 60 points was more like 75-80 points. Regardless, he's far exceeded my expectations over the last couple years.

Reactions: Petrus and NyQuil

yeaher

May 3, 2019
87 points last year, 80 the year before
Those stats are inflated. All time year adjusted stats show that William Nylander is 70-75 pt player, unless its a contract year.

Where is Nylander on there.....It's weird that someone who scores 80 points a year and is in the prime of his career only has 430 pts in 520 games. 80-85 points a year type players are a ppg player, since you are having trouble with the math.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Those stats are inflated. All time year adjusted stats show that William Nylander is 70-75 pt player, unless its a contract year.

Where is Nylander on there.....It's weird that someone who scores 80 points a year and is in the prime of his career only has 430 pts in 520 games. 80-85 points a year type players are a ppg player, since you are having trouble with the math.

This is some of the dumbest reasoning Ive seen in a very long time on here. Kudos.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Nah I think his improvement is for real. The eye test screams 100+ points star player this season. Off course he could regress due to injury or lack of effort next season but he’s certainly looked better and better and should be an established star throughout his prime.

Reactions: authentic

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yes, the talent was there. To be honest, you could even say that he's performed below expectations before this.

But it's worth noting that 90 points right now is not the same thing as 90 points in 14-15. Benn won the art ross with 87 points.

Reactions: Felidae

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Obviously scoring was different when he was drafted, but even accounting for that I didn’t think he’d be a top 10 scorer type. I thought the past two years was more in line with what he’d become.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If anything in more surprised it took him until his 26 year old season to be a PPG player.

He had a really good 20 year old season with 61 points. Which was not so far off from Marner who had 69 points at the same age

After that though, Marner lapped him in production for years and it never seemed right. I mean, Marner was always the better player but the production gap shouldn't have been as big as it was imo.

Reactions: Faceboner

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
People clowned on the Leafs for signing him for 6 million so don't wanna see a bunch of revisionist history fans of other teams patting themselves on the back. "Totally, always saw this coming."

Something about Canadian teams. Draisaitl contract was clowned (steal) Miller contract clowned (steal) Nylander contract clowned (steal) Suzuki contract clowned (looks like it will be a steal) Stutzle (steal), Huberdeau.... ok some don't work out.

Evergreen

I knew after his rookie year he had potential to hit 90+. I almost answered "no" because the OP asks a different question than what's in the poll itself.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
People clowned on the Leafs for signing him for 6 million so don't wanna see a bunch of revisionist history fans of other teams patting themselves on the back. "Totally, always saw this coming."

Something about Canadian teams. Draisaitl contract was clowned (steal) Miller contract clowned (steal) Nylander contract clowned (steal) Suzuki contract clowned (looks like it will be a steal) Stutzle (steal), Huberdeau.... ok some don't work out.

I honestly never understood the complaints about that contract. Even as an ~ok player it was fine for $$ amount, it was hardly an overpay...and he's obviously more than just an ~ok player now, but the point is the $$ wasn't even that high.

As for thread premise - I voted yes. I didn't vote the last option (even though he'll almost for sure top 100+ this year and maybe 110), since I can't say I really expected him to be a 100+ point player (let alone 110), but I figured he'd be an above ppg ~80-90 point guy in his prime years.

We'll have to see if this season ends up being the new norm for him, or an unusual spike year. I could still see him coming down to earth next year and beyond in the ~80 to 100 point range, as opposed to over 100 often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad