Voracek

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Yeah that insane. There was a bunch of people on the flyers board including myself who said Hossa was his comparison. His defensive game is underrated but a shade under Hossa's in his prime.

Voracek is good defensively but a shade under Hossa in his prime? Hossa in his prime is arguably the best defensive forward in the game. IMO Hossa was just as good defensively as Toews but didnt receive the same recognition. I would say he's a shade under current Hossa.

PropJoe

Jan 25, 2013
Offensively, maybe (one season definitely doesn't solidify this), but Giroux brings so much more that it really isn't a contest. Points aren't everything and Giroux is just a much better all around player and much more valuable to the team.

Giroux is a better special teams player but there is absolutely no doubt, points aside, that Voracek is a better even strength player. He has been for quite awhile.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Giroux is a better special teams player but there is absolutely no doubt, points aside, that Voracek is a better even strength player. He has been for quite awhile.

That's voraceks only advantage, even strength play along with puck possession. Giroux edges him out everywhere else. Special teams, Shot, Passing/playmaking, defense, physicality although he's smaller.

PropJoe

Jan 25, 2013
That's voraceks only advantage, even strength play along with puck possession. Giroux edges him out everywhere else. Special teams, Shot, Passing/playmaking, defense, physicality although he's smaller.

Debatable, Debatable, and just flat out wrong.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

No... Girouxs ability to read a play and make the perfect pass on the PP is 2nd to none on the team. Giroux is better defensively as well, not close, comes with being a Center and a PKer. Giroux definitely engages more then Voracek does when it comes to physical play, however your point stands that Voracek protects the puck absurdly well using his Jagr ass so if that's physicality thats him yes.

Voracek's also a beast with zone entries. Flies thru the neutral zone and stickhandles in with speed. He's scary good at it.

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

Giroux makes huge hits on the regular and he's way more physical than Voracek who's the bigger man, which doesn't automatically make him more physical. Passing/Playmaking idk Giroux has better hockey iq but the ability to sift passes through sticks and make a perfect pass is dead even in my opinion.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Giroux makes huge hits on the regular and he's way more physical than Voracek who's the bigger man, which doesn't automatically make him more physical. Passing/Playmaking idk Giroux has better hockey iq but the ability to sift passes through sticks and make a perfect pass is dead even in my opinion.

Giroux has I feel made far more 'wtf' memorable passes... the amount of times players have completely empty nets to shoot at after a Giroux pass is ridiculous. I do agree though that this is a lot to do with his hockey sense... at times it seems he sees people in space that it would seem he should have no way of knowing they were there.

One of the best passes I have ever seen was Girouxs no look backhand to Richards.

But yeh, he is clearly more physical than Voracek... and a pretty big hitter for a small man.

ibkRefPnSaCVdC.gif

iykr4iQS3y8Vx.gif

(Thanks Akanon for those GIFs, some of my favourites.)

imWzsRQXYIXax.gif

Last edited:

Delicious Dangles*

He plays a puck that bounces off the sidewall through the defenseman's feet & stick to himself behind the net, skating at full speed, undressing the defenseman in the process, then goes around the net controlling the puck with one hand on his stick while using the other to shield off the defenseman, then backhands a perfect set-up to the slot for a one-timer. It was a fantastic play. Trying to shrug it off as nothing remarkable is just silliness.
"Undressing the defenseman" usually involves getting past the defenseman. Not being pushed to the outside with no chance at the net, being forced to pass it off for a low percentage shot.

Voracek has been very good this year, but let's call plays as they actually are, okay?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
"Undressing the defenseman" usually involves getting past the defenseman. Not being pushed to the outside with no chance at the net, being forced to pass it off for a low percentage shot.

Voracek has been very good this year, but let's call plays as they actually are, okay?

Yes, let's do that.

I have no idea what the hell you are looking at. Voracek undressed the defenseman on that goal, he wasn't forced outside at all. He plays the puck through the defenseman's stick and skates to himself behind the net, leading to him having clear possession of the puck for the first time in the entire sequence, with the defenseman no longer in front of him, but now behind him and left only to try to prevent him from coming around the net and making a play with the puck, which by that point is futile.

And what low percentage shot are you talking about? He then backhands a soft pass into the slot for a one-timer. Since when is a one-timer from the slot a low % chance?

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Stop. Voracek isn't the passer, playmaker, or defender that Giroux is, and he's not nearly as physical. I don't understand how you can be a Flyers fan and think differently because you obviously watch a lot of these games.

Voracek is good at using his size to protect the puck, and doesn't shy away from defenders, but he isn't "physical." He doesn't look to take the body defensively, or on the forechek as much as Giroux, and when he does he doesn't do it with as much force.

Voracek has a size and skating advantage over Giroux, as well as a better ability to shield the puck from defenders with his body. Stick handling is such a hard ability to quantify that it's impossible to say who is better when it's close, but Giroux as been much better on breakaways and shootouts where that stuff comes into play. Everything else: playmaking, shot, defense, pking, hockey IQ, etc, all favor Giroux.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
From another flyers fan that watches them both every game; Giroux is better than Voracek. He brings more to the table and plays in all situations. Dont be surprised to see Giroux as a finalist for the selke this season.

member 202355

It amazes me that you apparently watch Voracek play and still think that he's better than Giroux.

Did you even read my first post? I never said he's better than Giroux, I said he's as good as Giroux. Obviously Giroux has been good more consistently, but when Voracek is playing his best, he's easily on Giroux's level.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Did you even read my first post? I never said he's better than Giroux, I said he's as good as Giroux. Obviously Giroux has been good more consistently, but when Voracek is playing his best, he's easily on Giroux's level.

I somewhat agree... Beast mode Voracek is as good as Giroux, it's the consistency he has to work on.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

The problem with that is that Giroux brings much more than just offense. Right now Jake is beating him in that department, but it's hard for Jake to compete with Giroux when he's leading the league in faceoffs won and the fact that G can be put out there late in close games to protect leads, PK and win defensive draws. That kind of stuff is invaluable.

I mean, Jake is great in his own end too but it's hard for him as a winger to outweigh the contributions Giroux is making as an all-situations center and leader.

Jake is probably better at 5v5 offense, but pretty much every other situation goes to Giroux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad