Player Discussion Vladimir Tarasenko

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
The biggest thing about the Vlad deal so far is Panarin ramping it up. I've wondered before if the Buch trade had some off-ice/on-ice effects there. You'd always see those Instagram pictures of our Russians together hanging out. Then Buch gets moved. Seems like maybe Vlad is good to have around Panarin. It'd be a dream for him to sign a cheapy to stay here for a year

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Guy past 30 years old, on a down year, who was clearly checked out, is traded for by the nyr....a team that's notoriously bad at making deadline acquisitions and notorious when it comes to 30+ age players dropping off a cliff.

Fingers crossed I don't get to say I told you do by years end. Too early to conclude anything yet but from the get go this seemed like a stupid trade to me

Reactions: Off Sides

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Guy past 30 years old, on a down year, who was clearly checked out, is traded for by the nyr....a team that's notoriously bad at making deadline acquisitions and notorious when it comes to 30+ age players dropping off a cliff.

Fingers crossed I don't get to say I told you do by years end. Too early to conclude anything yet but from the get go this seemed like a stupid trade to me
Ancient f***ing history. Move on up to the modern era and understand this is a PO rental and these are acclimatization games. This thread only becomes meaningful once the postseason starts.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Tarasenko is a shooter first and foremost, and he hasn't been carrying the puck up ice (Mika or Kreider does on that line). They have to learn to read off each other, so I'm not concerned. I'd rather see those two use him more as an option TBH. Will make more space for all 3 of them. Tarasenko's bread and butter play with those 2 will be Zibanejad cycling to the the middle of the ice, Kreider in front of the net, Tarasenko on the RW half wall. Zib cycles, drops to Tarasenko, and continues to the middle of the ice taking the D with him. Tarasenko beats his man one on one, cuts to the middle from the RW half wall and follows Mika who has taken his man with him away from the circle, then Tarasenko rips it with Kreider screening.

He scored a ton of goals in St. Louis this way, but these 3 have not learned to read off each other to get the timing right yet. Their play in the offensive zone is still too positional/predictable and there's a lack of movement both with and without the puck as current. With time, I think they'll figure it out. It's a "developing chemistry" issue, not a "the player we traded for is in decline" issue.

Last edited:

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
The reality is, not all of our top players are going to be playing extremely well at the same time. That’s where the importance of depth comes in. If Panarin isn’t playing well, like he wasn’t for long stretches of last playoff run, we didn’t have a ton of options behind him to chip in offensively. That was our ultimate downfall against Tampa.

Tarasenko is an extra hedge. You hope he can provide offense when others go cold so that this team’s worst case “floor” is high enough to still compete.

The scoring depth we’ve already accumulated/developed this year is way better than last year’s. Hence this 28 game run which has come during a pretty inconsistent Igor stretch.

My hope for Tarasenko isn’t to drive our offensive output. It’s to step up when others are struggling. That’s, frankly, all we need him for. Anything beyond that would be gravy.

NYR2007

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
He has looked slow and checked out. I get him getting used to his new team mates but he doesn’t appear to have any jump in his game.

Game against Edmonton he had one chance that McDavid was able to break up.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He’s making $7.5m now. He’s had his ups and downs throughout his contract and he, like most of the other UFA’s aren’t exactly hitting the market at a good time. I don’t think he makes that same cap hit this go around. I could see a $5.5m cap hit. It depends on the term but that’s my hope.

I’m also all about trying to retain him.

Who are you letting go to pay Tarasenko 5.5M? Miller or Chytil?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Already with the hot takes on Tarasenko. HFB...

New team, new system, uprooted life, guys he's never played with before, etc...

I give Drury credit for trading very early and giving these two time to acclimate.

St Louis had 3 points in his first 14 games with us. It happens. Players need time to adjust.

Making the trade in early February gives Tarasenko more time to adjust, which I love. The timeline of the trade works in our favour.

Blais 2 goals on 4 games since trade. Tarasenko 1 goal in 4 games since trade. I hav not been impressed with him.
2 goals for Tarasenko.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Last night was his best game as a Ranger. Scored a goal, had 3 shots and put another one off the post/crossbar. I also thought he did a better job fighting for pucks. He should only improve as he continues to get more comfortable.

I also liked the defensive play he made to recover , knocked someone right off the puck. It’s the little things like that, that make me happy. Of course goals are nice also. Lol.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Last night was his best game as a Ranger. Scored a goal, had 3 shots and put another one off the post/crossbar. I also thought he did a better job fighting for pucks. He should only improve as he continues to get more comfortable.
Some guys just have it. What I mean by that is even if they are not playing their best if they get a chance to score they often will. He has the goal scorers vision and hands.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Something looks off with him. He's losing balance way too easily. Seems like he's battling a lower body injury

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Some guys just have it. What I mean by that is even if they are not playing their best if they get a chance to score they often will. He has the goal scorers vision and hands.

Very noticeable how well he plays in traffic around the net. He’s drawing penalties too. He needs to play with Panarin & Trocheck because they need a true finisher on that line

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Blais 2 goals on 4 games since trade. Tarasenko 1 goal in 4 games since trade. I hav not been impressed with him.
Maybe its the disorienting effects of playing with new lineages every other shift?

He"ll get better. His goal yesterday was important

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Loved him battling that Flames player for the puck and just shoving him down instead of trying to pry the puck loose

he's a massive human, it's kind of a treat watching him toss defenders around to win loose pucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad