Blue Jays Discussion: Vladdy in the Derby

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Off topic from the HR derby but the Jays seem to have had a solid day two at the draft. Grabbed a couple Canucks and mostly guys that were ranked higher than their draft position which always seems like a positive. Hopefully, they can get them all signed. One HS'er I'm worried about signability with. I believe it's our third pick. Nothing flashy but solid potential.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
25 HRs with barely a few minutes break between his semi and final rounds. Well deserved champion

That was my worry. He went 2nd in the semi then had to immediately come back and hit first in the finals.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
25 HRs with barely a few minutes break between his semi and final rounds. Well deserved champion
Yeah I thought that would hurt him. The power ability to hit that extra 30 sec bonus with 2x440ft+ home runs was the difference. Neither Rodriguez or Arozarena got that against Vladdy.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Yup and sometimes they aren't even watching their back is turned getting another ball.
Yeah this is the thing for me. These guys are hitting so many balls so quickly I’m surprised no kid has been seriously hurt yet.
All it takes is a line drive after a pop up and some kid could get crushed

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Glad that he was able to get this one after he probably should have won the previous one he did

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The derby felt really quick. I mean a pitch is lobbed before the last one even landed. I don’t know, I want to appreciate the dingers and see them go out. Having it on a split screen does nothing for me. I am also probably the only one, but I miss Chris Berman “Back, back, back, back, back, back”.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The derby felt really quick. I mean a pitch is lobbed before the last one even landed. I don’t know, I want to appreciate the dingers and see them go out. Having it on a split screen does nothing for me. I am also probably the only one, but I miss Chris Berman “Back, back, back, back, back, back”.
You're not the only one. Chris Berman was my introduction to my son and the Home Run Derby when he was 4 years old. In fact, my wife and girls would gather around to watch just to hear it, even as non-baseball fans. :laugh:

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

There legitimately wasn't a single positive thing said about Vladdy last night. He was extremely fatigued in the first round, he didn't stand a chance against J-Rod in the 2nd, they liked Arozarena's chances with Vladdy only hitting 25 (a final round record). Then the broadcast listed him as the 2nd HR derby winner from Cuba.

It was honestly terribly produced and that includes the camera panning/switching, in-stadium audio feedback, and cutting to commercials when interviews were happening. Not having Berman in the booth really topped it all off especially since Vladdy was hitting monster shots compared to the others. But nah, the broadcasters had to say he was a "line drive" hitter and the wall scrapers was the norm you would see from him (this is BP not in-game situations, plus Vladdy has the highest % of 440+ homers among contestants over their careers to date).

Reactions: Discoverer

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yeah, but these rules have been around since 2015 apparently. typically don't even watch the HR Derby, only watched the one Vladdy was in 2019 with the new rules, so I didn't remember.

I watched a few before where the Jays had their players, Bautista, Donaldson, I think Vernon Wells? Farther than that I dont remember, but it would have been the old format so there were nowhere close as many homers as they are cranking out now.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I dont want to start another thread, but this is ASG related, Romano was pitching and was removed from the game for some apparent injury or just precaution, they didn't say.

It appeared like he gave up a homer to Gurriel Jr, but it was overturned on replay.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
why did he leave the game? that can't be good oh well seems someone always gets injured during an all star game, hopefully he is ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad