OT: Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Every once in a while, S&S is OK.

Portillo's is consistently amazing though. You're insane. :laugh:

Portillo's is good. Calling it amazing is insane. There are plenty of places around town where you can get better beefs and burgers than Portillo's.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I agree with this. In Oak Park, I thought Pete's was better. One of my favorite places.

Living over in Oak Park, I'm assuming you've hit the strip in Forest Park on Madison for some partying and good eats? Some good places there. I've been to FatDuck a couple times and really liked the duckfat burger, and their truffle parm duckfat fries are amazing.

Also Exit Strategy Brewing Company has what they call the ESBC burger, which is outstanding. It's actually owned by a former colleague of my girlfriend. She quit her job as a teacher at Forest Park where my girlfriend used to teach with her, and started the brewery/grill with her husband.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Living over in Oak Park, I'm assuming you've hit the strip in Forest Park on Madison for some partying and good eats? Some good places there. I've been to FatDuck a couple times and really liked the duckfat burger, and their truffle parm duckfat fries are amazing.

Also Exit Strategy Brewing Company has what they call the ESBC burger, which is outstanding. It's actually owned by a former colleague of my girlfriend. She quit her job as a teacher at Forest Park where my girlfriend used to teach with her, and started the brewery/grill with her husband.

I actually am in Forest Park on Madison right now, although we are moving next Sunday. Grew up in Oak Park. Fatduck is pretty good. I've been to exit strategy although never tried the burger.

Have you ever been to Gaetanos on Madison? It's amazing. City quality for sure. Best food I've gotten outside Chicago.

https://www.zagat.com/r/gaetanos-restaurant-river-forest

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I actually am in Forest Park on Madison right now, although we are moving next Sunday. Grew up in Oak Park. Fatduck is pretty good. I've been to exit strategy although never tried the burger.

Have you ever been to Gaetanos on Madison? It's amazing. City quality for sure. Best food I've gotten outside Chicago.

https://www.zagat.com/r/gaetanos-restaurant-river-forest

Always wanted to try it, but never really been down there just to do dinner somewhere.

It's always been for an event or party night with my girlfriend's old colleagues/friends from the school in Forest Park. So it was basically bar hopping at bars/grills and eating on the fly at one of em, or hanging out at the brewery during parades and things like that doing the same thing. We were at the brewery's grand opening, which if I remember correctly, was during the St Patty's Day parade. Been there once or twice since just to hang out. They did a nice job with that place. I love the warehouse feel of it, and the decor is stellar.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Since you guys are in the Oak Park area I assume you've had Johnny's Beef? Think its in Melrose Park. Never had it, but people rave about it and call it the best beef in Chicago.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Since you guys are in the Oak Park area I assume you've had Johnny's Beef? Think its in Melrose Park. Never had it, but people rave about it and call it the best beef in Chicago.

Johnnys is really good. There's usually a line out the door on a hot day. Good Italian ice too. I think that's Elmwood Park.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I'm actually not in that area. I'm in Bolingbrook. I used to go there a lot when my gf was a teacher at a school in Forest Park. I have had Johnnie's beef, though. It's damn good. I prefer Duke's Drive-in over in Bridgeview on the south side. It's just south of 79th on Harlem. Their beef is definitely one of the best I've ever had.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Portillo's is good. Calling it amazing is insane. There are plenty of places around town where you can get better beefs and burgers than Portillo's.

There are TONS of better local hot dog joints all around. Jimmy's on Pulaski, that on on Harlem in Oak Park and of course, Gene and Judes. Every time I see my kid's with scheduled hockey games at Franklin Park, I get excited because it means a Gene and Judes run after!

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Johnny's is fantastic and always a line. Not sure if Cafe Cubano is still there (just east on North Ave). Very good Cuban food.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Some guys I know from my high school opened a place on Roosevelt in Berwyn. Big Guys sausage. I've only been there a few times but I thought it was pretty good.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I don't know why people keep on talking about Dogs considering all these joints usually use the same Vienna Beef dogs. lol

It's what you put on it not the Dog itself.

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't know why people keep on talking about Dogs considering all these joints usually use the same Vienna Beef dogs. lol

It's what you put on it not the Dog itself.

Indeed. Its all about the steaming of the bun and the nuclear green relish. A cold kosher dill spear helps. And don't forget the controversial tomato..... Included on any Chicago dog at approximately 1/2 the places around or on the side as a pickled tomato at Superdog.

Also don't forget the quality of the sport pepper. After a night of drunken debauchery there is nothing like biting into that sport pepper and the pepper juice squirting into your buddy's or gf's eyes.

Also I live only 1 mile from Gene and Judes but won't go there because they won't provide ketchup for the fries. Luke's on Harlem and Johnnys are not that much farther from me and have just as good dogs as G&J anyhow.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Indeed. Its all about the steaming of the bun and the nuclear green relish. A cold kosher dill spear helps. And don't forget the controversial tomato..... Included on any Chicago dog at approximately 1/2 the places around or on the side as a pickled tomato at Superdog.

Also don't forget the quality of the sport pepper. After a night of drunken debauchery there is nothing like biting into that sport pepper and the pepper juice squirting into your buddy's or gf's eyes.

Also I live only 1 mile from Gene and Judes but won't go there because they won't provide ketchup for the fries. Luke's on Harlem and Johnnys are not that much farther from me and have just as good dogs as G&J anyhow.

Yeah. I get the no ketchup on hot dogs, but fries require ketchup. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille