WWE: Vince McMahon quote on Bobby Lashley's 2006 push

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That doesn't hold true for Punk, though....but for the most part, I'd agree.

That's probably the only instance. It's weird. That relationship was always toxic for some reason.

Well... now HHH on the Austin podcast kind of hinted towards being against reigns winning the RR. I remember him saying something like "There were different ideas brought to the table but ultimately this is Vince's business and he gets the final say."

The jury sure is out on HHH. I want to give collective credit to NXT. The writers, decisions, etc. are all great. Seldom can you come up with something that isn't a great idea. But HHH can't be given full credit until it starts happening under his watch at the WWE level.

I think Triple H has his ideas for guys he wants to push but recognizes when it's not going well and when to pull back and go a different direction.

NXT, for example. They were pushing Baron Corbin as a babyface and the crowd started to turn on him like the crowd has done Roman. Instead of force him as a babyface, they turned Corbin heel and now he's one of their top guys down there and is a very credible challenger to Balor, and can take the title off Balor and be the top heel down there.

I think Triple H wanted to go a different direction than Roman winning the Rumble after the reactions were clear and WWE had to put The Rock out there to beg the crowd to cheer Roman, which still failed. I think he wanted to go a different direction at Survivor Series (I believe the reports that he wanted Ambrose or Owens to win considering there were reports a week early of "high-level officials" pitching Ambrose win the title) because he knew where the reaction would be with the crowd but his hands are tied when a senile, impatient old man is running the show and calling the shots.

Now, because of his impatient father-in-law, he has to completely re-do The Authority vs. Daniel Bryan storyline, except with a babyface counterpart that the fans don't give a damn about... and he knows this.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Triple H actually takes the fan reactions into consideration. We go to NXT as an example when backing HHH a lot but thats because NXT is working and people like it! Its great wrestling, but the storylines and characters are great, simple and enjoyable. WWE is a much bigger audience but could easily cater to any and all fans. Vince has been out of touch for a long time and will continue to do so for many more years. Triple H has a clue what people want but Vince doesn't care and its actually costing him tones of money. He has a few NXT stars that can make him a lot of money but I bet he ruins them somehow.

It will be a long time until Triple H takes full control, but if and when he does WWE will be better off.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yet, Lashley never got pushed to the VERY top like all fans wanted. Lashley was exactly what the WWE needed. Way over with the fans, pretty good in the ring, exciting to watch and was a true powerhouse. WWE dropped the ball BIG TIME with Lashley.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think how NXT handled Eva should be how WWE writers handle pretty much all booking situations. Have a good grasp on how the fans will take something and use it against the fans. The fans hate her and feel Vince is mega pushing her... so they booked it freaking perfectly to give it a real feel.

Reigns... fans feel like they are being fed the Roman Empire by upper management... so turn Reigns heel and make him part of the authority. Inevitably break down the Authority and HHH vs. Reigns WM 33. Onward and upward to Reigns as a huge babyface. The right way.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Usos are his cousin too but you don't see them being pushed to the moon either. Same for Tamina. She isn't even sniffing the Divas' title.

What?

Usos are essentially unbeatable in the tag division. They ARE a tag team version of Roman Reigns in every way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What?

Usos are essentially unbeatable in the tag division. They ARE a tag team version of Roman Reigns in every way.

No they aren't. They don't face ridiculous odds and overcome them. They haven't gone over New Day a bunch of times on TV like Roman would anyone he's feuding with. They aren't featured in every other segment on most shows as well.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
No they aren't. They don't face ridiculous odds and overcome them. They haven't gone over New Day a bunch of times on TV like Roman would anyone he's feuding with. They aren't featured in every other segment on most shows as well.

Yea but they've constantly been pushed and thrust into the tag title picture.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yea but they've constantly been pushed and thrust into the tag title picture.

None of which they didn't deserve. They were pushed into the tag title picture when they started getting hot. And being thrust into the tag title picture doesn't mean a lot when the show isn't centered around it even remotely. If they weren't deserving of their spot or it was a humongous focal point, you'd have an argument but it's not.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The Usos got their initial push because they got hot and over. The push lasted (and continues to last) because of a serious lack of talent on the face side of the division although it seems that the Lucha Dragons may finally be getting a chance.

Prior to WWE calling up the NXT teams of Lucha Dragons and Ascension (which brought back the PTP) could you even name another face tag team that was around to compete with the Usos?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Prior to WWE calling up the NXT teams of Lucha Dragons and Ascension (which brought back the PTP) could you even name another face tag team that was around to compete with the Usos?

The New Day

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Usos got their initial push because they got hot and over. The push lasted (and continues to last) because of a serious lack of talent on the face side of the division although it seems that the Lucha Dragons may finally be getting a chance.

Well Mizdow was cheered as if they were a face team. ;)

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

The Wyatt Family, who would have been made forever if they had gotten the tag belts in that 2/3 falls match.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Rowan/Harper losing that match (and never winning the tag titles in general) is one of the worst booking decisions in recent memory.

.....and that's saying something.

Usos are bad on the mic, are a black hole of charisma, decent but limited in the ring and win essentially every match even if they shouldn't. They're basically a tag team version of Reigns.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Rowan/Harper losing that match (and never winning the tag titles in general) is one of the worst booking decisions in recent memory.

Usos are bad on the mic, are a black hole of charisma, decent but limited in the ring and win essentially every match even if they shouldn't. They're basically a tag team version of Reigns.

I agree that Rowan/Harper not winning the titles then was a poor booking decision.

I disagree with your assessment of the Usos. They're not good on the mic but they have charisma but it's more in stage presence in the ring rather than with the stick. You underestimate their in-ring abilities if you think they're just decent but limited. They're good in the ring and do the job significantly more frequently than Reigns does and are in a far less prominent spot on the card than Reigns. The Usos rise and fall is pretty much in line with their popularity among the tag teams.

You are oversimplifying the comparison to a very large degree. Usos are nowhere near as protected as Reigns has been and nowhere near as forcefed to the audience.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
And I think that's because the tag division is barely a factor compared to singles stuff. Obviously they're not near the level of Roman Reigns as that would actually be impossible but prorated I think the Usos are similar to Reigns. Reigns and the Usos have a presence or a "charisma" if you want to call it that but it never translates to when they need to project a character or talk.

Are they good in the ring? Yeah they can put on a good match but I just...haven't been entertained by the Usos in forever. It all seems to be a copy and paste each week...hence why I said I think they're limited. They took significant time off and came off the exact same...match formula was the same...characters were the same...nothing changed. I'm just bored by them completely.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
As someone with a young son the Uso's are totally over with kids.

Kids generally love babyfaces. It's part of the wonderful innocence of childhood.

I was an exception to that when I was young though. I absolutely marked for 98-99 heel Owen and 2000 Cerebral Assassin HHH.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Watched that 2/3 Falls match again recently. So good. It should have ended with the Wyatts winning. It hurt them and the Usos started to get really stale afterwards.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I actually think MITB 2014 was the perfect time to MAKE the Wyatt Family.

Harper and Rowan were facing the Usos for the Tag Titles and Bray was in the ladder match for the vacant World Title.

Imagine the Family today if they had won those matches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad