WWE: Vince McMahon going back-and-forth on Daniel Bryan's status

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- The latest word on Daniel Bryan's WWE status is that company officials were still waiting on the results of a third doctor's findings in regards to Bryan's health and if he should be put back in the ring.

As we've noted, WWE's Dr. Joseph Maroon ruled that Bryan should not wrestle again due to the number of concussions he's suffered. Bryan later got a doctor that works with the NFL's Arizona Cardinals to test him and his brain tested above average for his age. That doctor cleared him to wrestle.

If the third doctor's tests have been done, The Wrestling Observer Newsletter notes that results are being kept secret but they could be back in as Vince McMahon has reportedly been going back-and-forth on Bryan's status.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Bring him back, put the title on him, do Lesnar vs. Bryan at WM.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
I want DB back. He's great in the ring and he's entertaining on the mic.

But I don't want Brock vs DB at all.

Oct 18, 2011
They wont put the title on him until he shows he can stay healthy, they may not even put him in a top spot just for that reason, i just don't know if vince will pull the trigger until the wwe doctor is on board

don't get me wrong, i'd love to see DB get the run that he deserves and hope he can come back

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
You can't put the title on him until he's stayed healthy for at least a year.

- His World Title Reign? Vacated the belt due to injury.
- IC Title Reign? Vacated the belt due to injury.

Add in the last World Champion blew out literally everything in his knee and vacated due to injury. I don't think you can risk putting it on Bryan until he's proven he can stick around.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It would not be the best idea to bring DB back and immediately put him up against Lesnar. That's just not smart for his health. It's what I want, but that's not really the best thing ever for him.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Could they afford to not put the title on DB ?
Especially if they go forward pushing Reigns as the new WWE champ
Fans will absolutely dump on it

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'd much prefer Wyatt or Ambrose get the title anyways, but I'd prefer Bryan over Reigns with the title.

Lesnar can work safe matches, and could do it for Bryan.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Could they afford to not put the title on DB ?
Especially if they go forward pushing Reigns as the new WWE champ
Fans will absolutely dump on it
They probably won't even bring him back until Reigns is done as champ.

I'd much prefer Wyatt or Ambrose get the title anyways, but I'd prefer Bryan over Reigns with the title.

Lesnar can work safe matches, and could do it for Bryan.
Yes, Lesnar can. But if the third doctor didn't clear him.. then, it doesn't really matter.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Lesnar vs Bryan is the only big WM match they have left that could work out. Lesnars a safe worker, and they'd put on an incredible match. It depends on if they want to give him the title or not, have Lesnar have the title so they could have the underdog win (the rub doesn't go to a younger star, but no one is built up enough to beat Lesnar anyways)

Or if they don't want to give DB the title because of injury concerns, then have Lesnar continue to go over, it would still be a great match, I don't think fans would be too upset about Lesnar winning because he's pretty over as well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They probably won't even bring him back until Reigns is done as champ.

Yes, Lesnar can. But if the third doctor didn't clear him.. then, it doesn't really matter.

If the third doctor didn't clear him, I think we would've heard about it by now.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If the third Doctor didn't clear him then there is nothing for Vince to go back and forth on. He isn't cleared end of story nothing to think about.

It's a tricky thing though if he is cleared because it still doesn't erase his concussion history and the fact Vince got burned twice with DB going down with a belt and now another champ having to drop the belt due to injury.

Plus it has to cross his mind any DB return has to be done correctly or it can ruin his plans. He doesn't want another royal rumble **** on because the crowd didn't like how DB was getting used.

So do you trust him at the main event level and if not but do want him back. How do you get him into the mid card without fans revolting on you again?

Not easy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the third Doctor didn't clear him then there is nothing for Vince to go back and forth on. He isn't cleared end of story nothing to think about.

It's a tricky thing though if he is cleared because it still doesn't erase his concussion history and the fact Vince got burned twice with DB going down with a belt and now another champ having to drop the belt due to injury.

Plus it has to cross his mind any DB return has to be done correctly or it can ruin his plans. He doesn't want another royal rumble **** on because the crowd didn't like how DB was getting used.

So do you trust him at the main event level and if not but do want him back. How do you get him into the mid card without fans revolting on you again?

Not easy.

To be fair, dropping the IC title due to injury is not really burning Vince. He doesn't care about the IC or US titles. The US title was only cared about when Cena had it but even then it wasn't given the utmost care and after DB, Ryback was the IC champ and while he had earned a title win, imo, it wasn't going to do much for the strap. And the value of the midcard straps have never been great to Vince.

With the WWE title run, they knew well beforehand that he was starting to wear down. Even before his run, the year before he had that stinger against Orton which is related to the injury he ended up having to lose the title. But even when he had that title, he was put in a feud with freaking Kane. No title in this day and age has much value if that champion is feuding with Kane.

Oct 18, 2011
Brock/DB
Taker/DB

those are money matches

brock/reigns/db WWE title triple threat with reigns as heel

i am very interested to see brock's role at WM

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even if he can't wrestle why not find other ways to utilize him? Manager, commentary, etc.

I do agree with this.

Maybe have Vince come back, and say that the Board of Directors have decided to appoint a Commissioner of both RAW and Smackdown (assuming the plan is to still make Smackdown Live again).

Daniel Bryan comes out, much to the chagrin of the Authority.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It must still bewilder Vince that HIS audience would prefer to see Daniel Bryan rather than Roman Reigns.

Even more upsetting, as someone who wants so badly to enjoy the product they put out, that even after he got cleared by an NFL Doctor (which, as it's been pointed out, probably carries more weight given how seriously the NFL is taking concussions now) that they are just apparently ready to do nothing with him, for fear that the audience will reject the plans they come up with, in favor of DB again (and considering the plan is to once again put Reigns front and center...)

Never have I seen a company willingly lose money just to have it "their way", all while preaching that they "listen to their audience!"

And what's funny is it doesn't even have to be DB! They have Ambrose who, despite the apparent efforts of WWE Creative, the fans just love. The fans just aren't as hot for Roman Reigns as the people in charge are.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The problem with putting him on TV again reminds everyone that he exists. If they're going to do a Reigns push again there really is no need to put a distraction in the spotlight again. Especially when you're wheeling him out in a non-important roll that won't really effect anything.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem with putting him on TV again reminds everyone that he exists. If they're going to do a Reigns push again there really is no need to put a distraction in the spotlight again. Especially when you're wheeling him out in a non-important roll that won't really effect anything.

If you aren't going to put him in the main event (and it's perfectly understandable why they wouldn't) it's better to leave him off completely.

If you're going to leave him off completely, just fire him and let him go make a living doing what he wants to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad