Ville de Québec Part XI: Être ou ne pas être? Telle est la question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Continuation from Ville de Québec Part X: Pousse mais pousse égal Gary!

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1456871

Upfront notes:

I know that separatism/sovereignty is a touchy and complicated subject, and with PKP being involved it is awfully easy to draw correlations and connections between it and the possible return of the NHL. But, for future reference, keep the political talk solely limited to what impact it could have on the possible return of the Nordiques. Talk about other political parties, electioneering plans, the dynamics of a possible referendum, and other political matters not related to the immediate situation at hand will be viewed as off-topic and at least edited, if not deleted. And repeatedly making such comments could lead to infractions for ignoring mod warnings, as is also the case if people comment on mod activity in the forums per site policy on mod abuse.

If you want to talk about the political side of this subject, please go to our politics board. There is a very active Quebec topic already up.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

Regarding the last 10-15 posts

Alright, this has been a blast but it's time to get back on topic now.

continuer

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ive asked this question before but forgotten the answer; what are the plans for the old Colisee?

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Ive asked this question before but forgotten the answer; what are the plans for the old Colisee?

No official word. As discussed before, we might keep it if we do end up bidding on Olympics (2026?). Otherwise it will likely disappear and land could be sold to private investors. Labeaume's plan is to use the Colisée to make the Limoilou-Vanier area more appealing to investors. As you can see there is plenty of space to build in that neighborhood.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009

No one knows yet, the mayor just formed a commitee to look at the future of the expocite site(Area that holds old and new building and the exhibition center thats used for car shows and the likes)

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What we know about old Colisée is that (numbers from 2010 IIRC) it costs around 900 000$ a year even if there is not a single event held in the building.

Edit : Btw I just realized this, but all the talk about what would become of parking. Looking at the picture from my post in previous thread. You can clearly see how small the parking is around the old Colisée and how huge (compared to old one) is the space that could potentially be available around the new arena. Also take note of the parking already in place in the lower left corner of the photo which is the parking of Expocité.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
What we know about old Colisée is that (numbers from 2010 IIRC) it costs around 900 000$ a year even if there is not a single event held in the building.

Edit : Btw I just realized this, but all the talk about what would become of parking. Looking at the picture from my post in previous thread. You can clearly see how small the parking is around the old Colisée and how huge (compared to old one) is the space that could potentially be available around the new arena. Also take note of the parking already in place in the lower left corner of the photo which is the parking of Expocité.

1669668_748179865206505_1607163319_o.jpg

Now that looks like a real coliseum (Colisée). :naughty: The old barn looks like a box of shoes.

They could put a retractable roof on top of the new building for open-air events. I'm sure it won't cost much... :sarcasm:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Once again a reminder; Keep the politics out of the conversation please & thank you.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
That thing really does look like the old Colosseum (I've been there). They should make little trap doors in it so that they can unleash the lions whenever the game isn't going so well for the Nordiques!

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
That thing really does look like the old Colosseum (I've been there). They should make little trap doors in it so that they can unleash the lions whenever the game isn't going so well for the Nordiques!

That's just evil, Ugmo. :laugh:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
That's just evil, Ugmo. :laugh:

In less amusing news though, I just saw the worst movie of all time: Pompeii starring the guy from Game of Thrones. Man, what a terrible movie. And I admit that despite being a guy who loves movies about gladiators!

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Now that looks like a real coliseum (Colisée). :naughty: The old barn looks like a box of shoes.

They could put a retractable roof on top of the new building for open-air events. I'm sure it won't cost much... :sarcasm:

Holy crap are we building an outside rink? loll That would be so funny. You want winter classic 41 nights a year here you go!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Holy crap are we building an outside rink? loll That would be so funny. You want winter classic 41 nights a year here you go!

Huh? Where you been Madhi? Like Ugmo says. Colosseum. Montreal comes to town?
Special Guest, real ShowStopper. Forget just a 2 or 5 Minute Penalty.

thumbsdown.jpg

Les Garcons de Montreal sera en Grande Difficulte'.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
File it under "odd timing," but Quebec City will apparently host the 2015 Memorial Cup... mere months before the new arena's slated to be finished.

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/story/?id=448203

You'd almost think that the CHL would've preferred to wait a year to play at the new digs rather than be at the Colisée Pepsi.

Edit: Or 2018, as I forgot that they rotate leagues for who hosts the event.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
File it under "odd timing," but Quebec City will apparently host the 2015 Memorial Cup... mere months before the new arena's slated to be finished.

You'd almost think that the CHL would've preferred to wait a year to play at the new digs rather than be at the Colisée Pepsi.

One of the main argument of the bid was that it was going to be the last hockey event/games played in the old barn

Last edited:

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Ya, but like i said in the Q board...it's an excellent reason for our major to try and squeeze a 6 months early finish on the new Colisée. The tournament is held the 2nd part of May, so it could technically be done. We haven't struck any major impasse so far in the construction.

The other thing is, CHL would rather play in a 15300 old Colisée than in the less than 5000 seats Chicoutimi arena.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
power, my friend, you can't squeeze 6 months on a 400M project with a 14 months prenotice.

I listened the LHJMQ presser and Quebec simply had a better note on a list of criteria, no link with 5000 seats vs 15000 seats.

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hopefully this won't be the last big time hockey event to be held in Quebec City. Hopefully a new arena means a new NHL team by the end of the decade.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Hopefully this won't be the last big time hockey event to be held in Quebec City. Hopefully a new arena means a new NHL team by the end of the decade.
i hope so too....however i believe the TPTB who run the league would rather see US cities (seattle, houston, las vegas)get a shot in getting NHL hockey over quebec.....

TPTB are very reluctant to accept quebec in the NHL....even though quebec has the market, the arena, the money and stable ownership...

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
The Parti Quebecois is out: The Liberal Party of Quebec just won by a landslide. The PQ lasted less than 2 years. I wonder if that's a record?

As expected, all that talk on "you know what" that word beginning by I was made for nothing.

So thats

Liberals: 70mp
PQ: 30mp
CAQ: 22 mp
QS: 3mp

Nordiques: 2015?

Now, waiting for that announcement...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events