VIII. General Stars Talk Can't Stop, Won't Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brand New Stars

We see Nichushkin make defensive mistakes perhaps more often than Chiasson yet the team tends to survive them for whatever reason.

I wonder if some of the that can be attributed to Nichushkin being the more flashy/more focused on player? We may just notice it more because we pay more attention when he has the puck.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I don't think so. Chiasson is more reliable along the boards in his own zone and is better at getting the puck out of danger. He can use the high flip to good effect. Where Chiasson struggles is in coverage and away from the puck. He's prone to having his man blow by him off the cycle or be step behind a defenseman driving down toward the net on the weak side.

Jokipakka

Jun 19, 2013
Turku
Jokipakka:
Nice post, but one part I want to take issue with -- players (especially forwards) generally are not able to control their on ice SV%. That will normalize. Chiasson having such a low on ice SV% points toward his high GA/60 being partly a fluke.

You are right, on ice SV% has a lot to do with luck and he isn't that bad. I just think that it has something to do with his defensive play because he has the league worst number.

Where Chiasson struggles is in coverage and away from the puck. He's prone to having his man blow by him off the cycle or be step behind a defenseman driving down toward the net on the weak side.

I think you nailed it here. I have seen that happen far too often. This could lead to high quality scoring chances and explain some of the save% issue.

Frozen Failure said:
So you're saying we should send Chiasson down?

I don't know. Maybe we should just pair him with someone more defensive minded than Whitney?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well I think he should be reunited with Eakin. Eakin's not perfect defensively either, but he is above average and can cover some of Chiasson's deficiencies. Where that line broke down was having the added burden of Whitney's no-defense-at-all contribution. Even when Whitney was playing well last year he was still a disaster in his own end. The defensive-minded left wing solution to that potential line unfortunately isn't on the team right now. If you want to think about internal options, Curtis McKenzie could be an intriguing compliment sooner rather than later.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Well I think he should be reunited with Eakin. Eakin's not perfect defensively either, but he is above average and can cover some of Chiasson's deficiencies. Where that line broke down was having the added burden of Whitney's no-defense-at-all contribution. Even when Whitney was playing well last year he was still a disaster in his own end. The defensive-minded left wing solution to that potential line unfortunately isn't on the team right now. If you want to think about internal options, Curtis McKenzie could be an intriguing compliment sooner rather than later.

Hmm McKenzie would be an intriguing concept but the question I'd have to ask is, isn't he the same as what you have in Garbutt?

You'll no doubt point to the numbers McKenzie has but 1) it's the AHL and 2) He's on a line with Morin and Sceviour. All he has to do is park himself in front of the net and clean up rebounds. I'm not saying this is a bad thing but Garbutt has better speed and has some net presence also. Maybe give that a try.

God...did I just suggest and defend Garbutt?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I personally don't want Garbutt playing more than 10 or 11 minutes a night from anywhere other than the 4th line, if he dresses at all. He's too undisciplined to play on a line with skilled players and he's not particularly strong defensively.

I don't really care that much about McKenzie's numbers, although they don't hurt his case. I like that he's a 3 zone player. I like that he goes to the front of the net and would free up Chiasson to play his more natural playmaking game rather than trying to be something he's not. I like that he takes the body. Lack of top end speed wouldn't hurt him playing with Eakin and Chiasson who operate at a moderate pace.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Yeah...I started shuddering at the thought of Garbutt being that much of an important player.

I sort of want to see Cole back with Chiasson, especially now that Cole is playing better.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I saw that in there, but I guess I'll comment in here.

I don't recall anyone going too over the top on him. I think the line between AHL top pair/7th, depth NHL D to a 5 or 6 on an NHL team isn't all that much. I imagine that small niche also is where most would put him.

I just didn't get that your take on him is that much different than anyone else. He probably is in the AHL or in the pressbox on a top NHL D core ... but I think he could play in the league for most teams. It's similar to the Jeffrey discussion to me. I'm not going to question someone calling him an AHLer if I think Jeffrey is an OK 13th forward.

I think the difference between myself and others I've seen is that I would rather play Aaron Rome than Gaunce, and I don't really like Rome. I've seen enough from Gaunce that the next time we need an extra defenseman I'm hoping Joki is healthy and ready for a look.

I also put Gaunce and Jeffrey in the same category, which is basically that neither are terrible 7th D/13th F but if they see regular ice time it points to lack of organizational depth.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
At this point I'm OK with Joki staying put. It's his first full season in NA, and he's playing quite well. Texas has the #1 PP in the AHL, and they an opportunity to have a decent playoff run.

I like the idea of leaving the true rookies alone in the AHL to get situated. Same goes for Ritchie and to some extent McKenzie (he's one of the older guys, but he also just seems built for the NHL/pro game .... honestly think he could step in and excel playing 10-12 minutes right now in bottom 6 ... rather have Sceviour up first though).

If Dallas falls out and sells some assets, we could still see them late in the season for about a month in the NHL before they return for some AHL playoffs. If they come up now, they probably aren't going to play too many minutes.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
A part from Cole, none of the veterans aren't scoring at the moment.. Not even Whitney.. Any ideas, maybe Sceviour back with Peverley to get that line together??

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
A part from Cole, none of the veterans aren't scoring at the moment.. Not even Whitney.. Any ideas, maybe Sceviour back with Peverley to get that line together??

Nichushkin was pretty good earlier this year with Horcoff as his center.. obviously not as good as he is with Benn but it might be something to look at the way things are going now.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
still amazed we wasted the money and time on horcoff

Horcoff has actually been much better as a 3rd/4th line center than the dregs we've thrown out there the last 4 or 5 seasons. He's an even possession player at even strength, and plays some tough minutes. I don't mind him being around at 3 million a year to give some of our younger players time to develop in Austin or with easier minutes.

aloonda*

seruously? he sucks

would rather have another total energy guy with speed

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
seruously? he sucks

would rather have another total energy guy with speed

yeah let's go back to being the pesky Stars and having a couple talented players mixed in with four lines of grinders. That will get the job done :sarcasm:

aloonda*

yeah let's go back to being the pesky Stars and having a couple talented players mixed in with four lines of grinders. That will get the job done :sarcasm:

yeah let's get a non athletic as hell 4th liner that has "intangibles"

bulllllll****tttt

he sucks

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
seriously

sceviour vs horcoff

discussion

go

lol

out of curiosity do you honestly think "sceviour vs. horcoff" gets us into the playoffs at the end of the year? Or makes any real difference at all to the team's record at the end of the year?

I really like Colton Sceviour he has some good tools and I wish he was up here with the team still. I don't think he would necessarily be a better player than Horcoff at the position of checking line center and first guy over the bench on the penalty kill.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
out of curiosity do you honestly think "sceviour vs. horcoff" gets us into the playoffs at the end of the year? Or makes any real difference at all to the team's record at the end of the year?

I really like Colton Sceviour he has some good tools and I wish he was up here with the team still. I don't think he would necessarily be a better player than Horcoff at the position of checking line center and first guy over the bench on the penalty kill.

Good points .... kill it with fire.

:rant:

People are always going to judge the money first. GM's always seem to bring in one of their guys almost immediately. Nill's guy was Horcoff. He's only making $4 million this year and $3 next. Dallas has an internal budget so the cap hit is irrelevant. Salary is key. Still a bit overpaid, but worrying about his $5 million cap hit is mostly a waste of energy. There's no way Dallas is spending to the cap next year.

aloonda*

good players add up

hell yes he does

horcoff has no business on the pk----he can't skate the point worth a rat turd

and you seriously want a checking line center making 5mil?

no

i would rather sign fiddler for 3 than that

there are sooooooooooooo many better options

the young guys are it

f the dead weight

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
good players add up

hell yes he does

horcoff has no business on the pk----he can't skate the point worth a rat turd

and you seriously want a checking line center making 5mil?

no

i would rather sign fiddler for 3 than that

there are sooooooooooooo many better options

the young guys are it

f the dead weight

Horcoff's cap hit is 5 million, his actually salary (which is the relevant number to the Stars, a team that doesn't spend to the cap) is 3 million per season.

3 million per season is fine for an average 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad