GDT: VII | "Afternoon Delight in the City of Brotherly Love... Wut?" | Oilers vs. Flyers | 11:00AM | SN-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Here we see the wild Russell in his natural habitat...
KWVS-60e.jpg

Reactions: Del Preston

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At least we didn't get shut out...

Oh look... Next 4 games?

Pittsburgh, Dallas, Washington, Pittsburgh.

We are absolutely hitting 10 losses before 5 wins.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Lol pathetic.

Good job addressing our scoring depth chia.

We're a team that scores off the rush. In order to be good at that, you need Dmen who can make great break-out passes. We do not have that. Our D is horrible for the way we're trying to play. With the D we have our only chance is playing the trap. We don't have the D for playing a rushing game, and trying to get our goals off the rush. McDavid with a 0. Captain has been choking since game 1. This has to be one of his longest goal-less droughts. This is puke worthy.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Russel, Nugent Hopkins and Strome on the back check. The three biggest holes on this team. Screw these bums. Chia you bum , we want Eberle back. This team is an offensive blackhole and you built it ! Not only that, other then Nurse barely, no one on that D has any skating and passing ability in a package. Just a Terrible built team. Why is Jokinen on this team ????? Wtf does he do ??????

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree with Remenda. Philly has a hurt pk guy on the ICE and the they spend the entire time on the other side.
That's because we only cycle on one side of the ice on the powerplay. It's why we're so easy to defend against.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
But Eberle has 0 goals this year....:huh:

Eberles presence gave this team another dimension. He created space, was smart offensively. Lol with the Eberle hate. 0 goals with the Islanders who cares. He's was much more effective then Jokinen and Strome. Sorry man

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Eberles presence gave this team another dimension. He created space, was smart offensively. Lol with the Eberle hate. 0 goals with the Islanders who cares. He's was much more effective then Jokinen and Strome. Sorry man
Unless we were playing bottom feeders no he wasn't, sorry man

Reactions: nabob

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Oilers in a couple of months: 10 W - 25 L

Some fans will be like: lol why you panicking?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When is cap space going to score or defend for us?

Are you trying to say that eberle provides as much as cap space? Because he doesn't do either of those things either.

Should Chia spend right to the cap with no regard for rookie bonuses or the ability to add players at the deadline?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Are you trying to say that eberle provides as much as cap space? Because he doesn't do either of those things either.

Should Chia spend right to the cap with no regard for rookie bonuses or the ability to add players at the deadline?
He should try to put the best team on the ice because right now this team is crap.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He should try to put the best team on the ice because right now this team is crap.

I don't think anyone disagrees that he should ice the best team possible. Do you feel he should spend all available cap space before the season starts leaving nothing for rookie bonuses, ability to make a trade mid season or acquire a player at the trade deadline.

You do realize that if he spends every penny of our cap space it completely limits our ability to do such things and could very likely lead to cap penalties for next season, right?

If was to have used up all the cap space during the offseason what moves would you have liked to see him him make to improve the roster?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't think anyone disagrees that he should ice the best team possible. Do you feel he should spend all available cap space before the season starts leaving nothing for rookie bonuses, ability to make a trade mid season or acquire a player at the trade deadline.

You do realize that if he spends every penny of our cap space it completely limits our ability to do such things and could very likely lead to cap penalties for next season, right?

If was to have used up all the cap space during the offseason what moves would you have liked to see him him make to improve the roster?
You know it's kind of amazing how teams can consistently stay good while juggling the cap. I could care less how he plays the cap if the team is a good one. This isn't a good team. This is a mediocre team at best with the best player on the planet being wasted on a bunch of scrubs.

I would've liked to see him bring in a top 6 winger or two, especially on the right side. I would've like to have seen an upgrade on defense, and maybe a better backup goalie.

I don't know who's available, or what he could've done. Nobody does so it's completely pointless to speculate. What I can say is that the job wasn't good enough. Strome and Jokinen are nothing players. Russell is here for 4 more years while adding very little of value. Then McDavid's extension kicks in next year which makes it even harder to get better.

People picture dynasty when I just want to win at least one Cup and as of right now this team is not good for that and might actually miss the playoffs. And the stupid thing is that the cap looks bad REGARDLESS. Spending a bunch of money on mediocre players is what dumb teams do.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You know it's kind of amazing how teams can consistently stay good while juggling the cap. I could care less how he plays the cap if the team is a good one. This isn't a good team. This is a mediocre team at best with the best player on the planet being wasted on a bunch of scrubs.

I would've liked to see him bring in a top 6 winger or two, especially on the right side. I would've like to have seen an upgrade on defense, and maybe a better backup goalie.

I don't know who's available, or what he could've done. Nobody does so it's completely pointless to speculate. What I can say is that the job wasn't good enough. Strome and Jokinen are nothing players. Russell is here for 4 more years while adding very little of value. Then McDavid's extension kicks in next year which makes it even harder to get better.

People picture dynasty when I just want to win at least one Cup and as of right now this team is not good for that and might actually miss the playoffs. And the stupid thing is that the cap looks bad REGARDLESS. Spending a bunch of money on mediocre players is what dumb teams do.
So you're declaring the same roster who was good enough to be within minutes of the west conference finals last year To now be a bad team? The only real change has been Eberle for Strome and Strome is outperforming Eberle this season with less opportunity.

You wanted two top 6 wingers, a top 4 Dman and a solid backup? How much cap space do we have? That's about $12-15M in players minimum right there. Then there's the issue of contract space as well.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So you're declaring the same roster who was good enough to be within minutes of the west conference finals last year To now be a bad team? The only real change has been Eberle for Strome and Strome is outperforming Eberle this season with less opportunity.

You wanted two top 6 wingers, a top 4 Dman and a solid backup? How much cap space do we have? That's about $12-15M in players minimum right there. Then there's the issue of contract space as well.
But it's not the same roster. Chia downgraded in the off-season and now the team is worse. It's not that complicated. Do you see Sekera anywhere? Or an adequate replacement? I sure don't. Chia's #1 priority should've been to patch the defense and he didn't do that. Instead he signed Russell to a questionable extension and called it a day. Do you see any top 6 RWers on the roster? I don't. I see a rookie and a reclamation project in those slots.

Eberle would be our second leading point scorer, but it sure was nice of Strome to take his man on the GWG... Oh wait he didn't do that.

I'm not saying that Chia should've patched all the holes, but he should've patched at least one and he didn't do that. He thought "Natural progression" would occur after a lot of Oilers had career years last year and of course that wasn't going to continue. He set up this crappy Ilers team we see on the ice. And no that's not a typo. I don't see any "O" on this team. But hey, we have some cap space to use, so when are we going to use it?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But it's not the same roster. Chia downgraded in the off-season and now the team is worse. It's not that complicated. Do you see Sekera anywhere? Or an adequate replacement? I sure don't. Chia's #1 priority should've been to patch the defense and he didn't do that. Instead he signed Russell to a questionable extension and called it a day. Do you see any top 6 RWers on the roster? I don't. I see a rookie and a reclamation project in those slots.

Eberle would be our second leading point scorer, but it sure was nice of Strome to take his man on the GWG... Oh wait he didn't do that.

I'm not saying that Chia should've patched all the holes, but he should've patched at least one and he didn't do that. He thought "Natural progression" would occur after a lot of Oilers had career years last year and of course that wasn't going to continue. He set up this crappy Ilers team we see on the ice. And no that's not a typo. I don't see any "O" on this team. But hey, we have some cap space to use, so when are we going to use it?
What did he downgrade? He didn't get rid of Sekera, but he also can't spend Sekera's cap hit because he's going to be back next month. Like I said Eberle hasn't been any better than Strome and was terrible in his final 13 games here. Keeping him is worse than having cap space.

So you do think he should have spent right to the cap before the season started?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
What did he downgrade? He didn't get rid of Sekera, but he also can't spend Sekera's cap hit because he's going to be back next month. Like I said Eberle hasn't been any better than Strome and was terrible in his final 13 games here. Keeping him is worse than having cap space.

So you do think he should have spent right to the cap before the season started?
Strome < Eberle. It's really not that hard to figure out. Jokinen adds nothing. Russell's extension was dumb.

Sekera is hurt and it was plain as day we would miss him. We have no idea when he's coming back or if he'll be 100%. We have Kris f***ing Russell on our 2nd PP unit. There's a downgrade.

The GM's job is to improve the team. Do you see improvements? Cap space is only what you make of it and our entire bottom 6 (maybe even our bottom 9) isn't a threat to score or do anything positive.

And if the GM can't work around a cap then he shouldn't be here.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Strome < Eberle. It's really not that hard to figure out. Jokinen adds nothing. Russell's extension was dumb.

Sekera is hurt and it was plain as day we would miss him. We have no idea when he's coming back or if he'll be 100%. We have Kris ****ing Russell on our 2nd PP unit. There's a downgrade.

The GM's job is to improve the team. Do you see improvements? Cap space is only what you make of it and our entire bottom 6 (maybe even our bottom 9) isn't a threat to score or do anything positive.

And if the GM can't work around a cap then he shouldn't be here.

Eberle hasn't been better than Strome this year. Therefore it isn't a downgrade. Please don't try to act like Eberle never missed a check coming back or watched as his guy walked in and scored many times in the last few years.

Not sure who was available cheap that could have replaced Sekera. As you can't give his replacement $4-6M for more than a year because then you're totally cap handicapped going forward when he returns from injury.

Russell didn't replace Sekera. He was Sekera's D partner for 90% of last season and they were a very good 2nd pairing. To say that he replaced Sekera and is a downgrade is false. He's been a downgrade from the player he was last season, but you could say the same about Eberle and his zero goals this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad