Confirmed with Link: Victor Rask signs 6 years, 4 per

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Nothing not to like there. Steal if he steps up. Reasonable if he stays as is.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Welp, looks like I have some words to eat. Maybe I can get some of that dry rub GP put on his steaks the other day.

I'll reserve judgment for a year or two, but it's encouraging nonetheless. He looked good last year; the money isn't bad for the season he had and will end up being very reasonable if he continues to progress.

Also, I believe this is the longest term RF has given out to date by 2 or 3 years. He's definitely sold on the kid.

P.S. I've been doing this for all of our Finns, so I guess I have to do it for our Swedes too.

sweden-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Welp, looks like I have some words to eat. Maybe I can get some of that dry rub GP put on his steaks the other day.

I'll reserve judgment for a year or two, but it's encouraging nonetheless. He looked good last year; the money isn't bad for the season he had and will end up being very reasonable if he continues to progress.

Also, I believe this is the longest term RF has given out to date by 2 or 3 years. He's definitely sold on the kid.

P.S. I've been doing this for all of our Finns, so I guess I have to do it for our Swedes too.

sweden-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

Even if you were right, and this was Ronnie's thinking, once he started talking with the kid's agent and realized where he would need to be on a longer-term deal, maybe he shifted gears? I mean, this is a pretty great commitment on *both* sides, not just from management.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
GMRF does it again :handclap:

Even if he maintains his current level/slightly more upside, he is a solid #2C on a contract that will get better with age as he is 23, locked up through 29, cap will continue to rise and thus will the cost of a #2C. I think 2-3 years from now we will be very happy with this move.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Just like Faulk will provide a contract baseline to Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, etc... Hopefully this deal will set the baseline for the Canes young forwards they collect.

Canes are spending more Cap now to save Cap later. I'm encouraged by this move.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Veryyy happy with this deal! To me he's worth 4M now, and he doesn't seem like a player that will regress anytime soon. If he improves on his 48pts his deal starts becoming a steal.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of no trade clause in the deal?

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Outside of the questionable handling of the goaltending (which I personally think was the best he could do), has GMRF made any wrong moves?

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Victor Rask vs. Vincent Trocheck

• Ages: Rask is 23 and 4 months, Trocheck 23 and 1 day
  • 2015-2016 Rask: 21G 27A 48P
  • 2015-2016 Trocheck: 25G 28A 53P
  • 5-on-5 points Rask: 14G, 12A, 26P Trocheck: 19G, 18A, 37P
  • Goals For % Rask 47.7%, Trocheck 61.3%
  • Shot %: Rask 12.0%, Trocheck 15.5%
  • Powerplay: Rask 16P in 199 minutes, Trocheck 12P in 191 minutes
  • Faceoffs: Rask 51.2% (935 draws) Trocheck 49.5% (1106 draws)

Rask also got more offensive zone starts and slightly less quality of competition. Both players got 6 year contracts, Rask at $4M and Trocheck at $4.75M. I think that's pretty fair as I'd say Trocheck's season last year was more impressive than Rask's, but only slightly. Trocheck got the vast majority of his 5-on-5 time playing with Reilly Smith and Jussi Jokinen. Rask was mostly with Jeff Skinner and Elias Lindholm. I'd say they have fairly similar quality linemates, although Smith+Jokinen combined for 110 points and Skinner+Lindholm got 90 points.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Outside of the questionable handling of the goaltending (which I personally think was the best he could do), has GMRF made any wrong moves?

I certainly think the positives out weigh the negatives. He is certainly doing this with a long term plan of sustainability. It isn't as sexy as making the big free agent splash, but it will work in the long term. He's assembled a group that is right at the cap floor that many if not most think are a bubble playoff team going into the season, and the system is ripe with fruit for the future.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
Can't complain. I thought he would get a little more if he went long term and we bought out some UFA years, but $4M, thinking will be a steal in the next 2-3 years.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

As decent as all GMRF's moves are, if they all still end up with the Canes not looking like a playoff team, what difference does it make? Making budget conscious moves, and dumping everyone at the deadline is the easy part. The hard part is actually putting together a team that can win on the ice.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I love what GMRF has done so far. But it still annoys me that he had to withhold salary on Harrison when he was moved to the Peg two years ago. I think that handcuffed him a bit last year. If he had had that withholding back, he might have been able to move Ward to another team as a rental at the deadline for a few more futures. It's not a big deal, and Ward might not have waived at the deadline, but it seems like it was a big chip to play for very little gain. Meh.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As decent as all GMRF's moves are, if they all still end up with the Canes not looking like a playoff team, what difference does it make? Making budget conscious moves, and dumping everyone at the deadline is the easy part. The hard part is actually putting together a team that can win on the ice.

Fair point. I guess from my perspective it's been a "playing the hand he was dealt as best as he could" situation.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I am pretty psyched about this....I think its a solid deal now, and years 4-6 could be a great deal. I know the cap has been flat lately, but if it did get to 80 mil lets say 5 years from now, 4 mil for a second line center is pretty damn good. Also possible Rask could continue to grow and impress and get to be a 60-70 point player as more talent is brought in around him. Only time will tell, but I certainly think it is a very calculated "gamble" for GMRF to make at this point. Need to spend money now to get to the floor, hoping to save money later when you already know you will be spending more as an organization.

Now back to that goaltending issue....lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad