Prospect Info: Victor Mete

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin got so lucky this kid became this good this early. That defense is awful without Mete. You are talking about playing Schlemko with Weber(yuck), and Davidson with Benn(bigger yuck).

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Our veteran defense is starting to come into form not matter what anyone says :p and Mete is the beautiful cheery on top :nod:

Let the regular season beginning, should be fun and exciting I think...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Let's not get carried away here. There's no guarantee that mete survives after 9 games. Even if he does, it's not uncommon for young players to hit a major wall at some point during the year.

Also, having a stud camp doesn't guarantee that he will be a stud for years to come. Look at Del Zotto for example. He made it on the rangers out of camp as a teenager, and got real hyped up. His stock has clearly dropped since.

I hope this camp is a sign of things to come, but I remain cautiously optimistic rather than declaring him a stud already.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Frankly, I don't see how they can send Mete down now. Foregone conclusion, especially with Schlemko's injury.

But will he stick beyond 9 games?

Earlier today on TSN 690, Pat Hickey pointed out that Shea Weber plays about 24 minutes a game. If Mete is his partner, can we expect the youngster to put up those kind of minutes?

Whatever happens, it's been exciting to see a young player exceed all expectations. What's not to like?

He wouldn't necessarily have to play that much. Cut out all of the PK time, and a good chunk of the PP time since we're going with 4 forwards 1 D. That would bring his minutes down to a more manageable 15-18 min.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They will need to shelter him for the first four games on the road.
This is the main concern I have. If he isn't paired with Shea are we using him with Benn playing his wrong side???
Benn had some tired moments in that role tonight...
Got scored on too with poor coverage on a simple net play where he didn't control the opposing players stick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The kid had as good a camp as a young player can have. He at least earned himself the 9 games. But we should keep in mind that once the regular season starts, it's another gear. But regardless, this kid did what you're looking for in anyone at camp, get noticed for all the right reasons.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
He wouldn't necessarily have to play that much. Cut out all of the PK time, and a good chunk of the PP time since we're going with 4 forwards 1 D. That would bring his minutes down to a more manageable 15-18 min.

True enough. But even 18 minutes a game is a lot for a 19-year old, smallish defender playing in the NHL for the first time. And can he avoid the hits—like the one Ottawa sent his way at the end of Period 1?

Still, I want to see him on the blue line when the season starts. The Montreal Canadiens are a much better team with him on the ice.

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
Anyone else thinking that Mete is Weber's future partner? Keep hearing we have nothing in the cupboard, but Mete had such a dominant season this past year, I think he almost put himself in equal footing as Sergachev. Sure, Sergy has size, but Mete has game breaking speed and uses it to be effective both offensively and defensively. I've seen scouts say that Mete is the best skater in our organization, and considering he have Byron, that's saying a lot. Not to mention he's being developed in London. I, for one, am super excited about this kid.
Yup

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
So refreshing to see a kid coming in to the Habs so skilled right off the bat and it's easy. Pure talent like Luke Skywalker beating the crap out of the Empire at a young age.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Bergevin got so lucky this kid became this good this early. That defense is awful without Mete. You are talking about playing Schlemko with Weber(yuck), and Davidson with Benn(bigger yuck).

You realize you're saying a GM is lucky because a prospect is pushing for a spot ? Every team has those. We've actually been quite unlucky on that front the past 3 years with almost no one good enough to play on their ELC. Part of that is MB's fault, but we can't turn around and say he's lucky when prospects push for spots and fill holes. This happens on any good team. There isn't a single team out there with no weaknesses. And all those teams have their fingers crossed some prospects can come in and surprise. MB wouldn't need to be this lucky if other prospects had made the team at an acceptable rate last few years. I'd say it's about time we have guys like Mete, Hudon and DLR making the team. We were due.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
I think Mete will make the team. Not much else to prove in the OHL. He's mature beyond his years. even though it takes longer for defensemen to mature. The sky is the limit for this guy. He is that good. People may disagree but I know what I know. He carries the puck well, passes like he's been in the league for years and delivers on the power play.

Reactions: Fastpace

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
When asked if Mete had made the team Julien didn't want to confirm. They can't possibly send him back, can they ?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
He should make the team full time. The kid is a stud. His composure for a 18 years old rookie is amazing.

Now if he does make it and play 82 games we probably should expect him to have a few down during the season but that's totally normal. Aside from that i am pretty confident that he will become a top 4 D in the NHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Let's not get carried away here. There's no guarantee that mete survives after 9 games. Even if he does, it's not uncommon for young players to hit a major wall at some point during the year.

Also, having a stud camp doesn't guarantee that he will be a stud for years to come. Look at Del Zotto for example. He made it on the rangers out of camp as a teenager, and got real hyped up. His stock has clearly dropped since.

I hope this camp is a sign of things to come, but I remain cautiously optimistic rather than declaring him a stud already.

So... you agree if he fails and agree if he succeeds?

TheGame777

Jan 16, 2016

He will hit a wall at some point if he is there all year, there's no way around it. There's nothing he can do to get ready for a level of play that high and a long season with men other than play and go through it. I believe that he must make the team, the defense is better with him and he showed he can handle a part of it for now. I don't mind him making mistakes, he did some the last two games and he will do even more during the season (game costing mistakes like any other player). There is a learning curve and he seems to be ahead now but not for long. I'm ready to live with those mistakes because I know that he will still be one of the best defenseman on this team even when things will get harder.

He may not survive after 9 games and there is a chance that the team is waiting to see Schlemko in action and that if he seems ok he will stay and Mete will be sent home, but I can't imagine him not staying. His presence is vital if the team wants to win.

Del Zotto isn't the same player but he still belong in this league and that is all we can ask of Mete to belong whether he is a first pair defenseman or a third pair.

The thing Mete isn't him having good games, it's about how he play on the ice, his style, his composure, everythinhe does. It's about how he behave on the ice and his behaviour make him a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad