Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Wasn't ol' Lolzner a healthy scratch during his final games as a Cap, in the playoffs? Yet we still gave him that contract. Amazing really.
Just another case where Bergevin saw himself in another lead footed shot blocking "stabilizer". Probably thought that John Carlson was irresponsible and just a sexy point producer with no defense and thus NEEDED ALZY to make him great.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
He doesn't even have a shot that matches my skating and its beer league level

I have nothing against Mete but I said this before and will stick with my opinion of Mete. He is a one trick pony. All he has going for him is his skating. He doesn’t have hockey sense, he lacks offence, he’s not great on defence. For a player his size you need to have to compare him with defence in the past guys like Brian Rafalski, Tobias Enström, these guys are able to produce points and have great skating. Even Francois Bouillon lacks size but he’s physical heavy low body gravity...Mete doesn’t do anything well except skating.

honestly I think he panics a lot and runs around playing a game without structure.

pair him with Kulak who is a fringe NHL defenseman who’s only asset is skating and size, I don’t think it’s a good fit..

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Invisibility is a great attribute for some people.

He definitely hasn't been invisible -- for a lot of bad reasons.

He needs to start playing a team game. He's basically Barberio at this point. Soft and weak, but can occasionally skate the puck out if given too much room.

Doesn't pass the puck & passing is one of his strengths. Isn't getting engaged physically, he can front people, but he's behind the play.

Despite being fast, he gets beat quite often to the outside too because players know they can just over power him. And, he doesn't use his stick well at all to poke check or direct players to outside zones. His stick is too short to be effective defensively.

Apeironic

Jan 10, 2019

He needs to start playing a team game. He's basically Barberio at this point. Soft and weak, but can occasionally skate the puck out if given too much room.

Doesn't pass the puck & passing is one of his strengths. Isn't getting engaged physically, he can front people, but he's behind the play.

Despite being fast, he gets beat quite often to the outside too because players know they can just over power him. And, he doesn't use his stick well at all to poke check or direct players to outside zones. His stick is too short to be effective defensively.

Barberio is always who I think of when I see him getting chipped around and beaten down low.

I really wanna believe he's better then he looks, but he has offered me no recourse to say any such thing.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

I wasn't talking just about Mete

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

He’s a one trick pony, all he can do that is NHL caliber is skate, can’t get by with only that one capability - especially when other aspects to his game are completely non-NHL caliber: shooting, physicality, offensive IQ

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I just threw up in my mouth. If it comes to having to add omelette back in we should wave the white flag and forfeit the season.
Skating is the only advantage Mete have over Ouellet. I mean Ouellet is bad, but not as bad as Mete.

edit : you should apologise for your lack of respect, his name is Ouellet. You have the privilege of posting anonymus from your safe home and you think you are allowed to post insults you wouln't do in real life. Bravo bravo, smart guy !

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
If he continues to play like he has then he should head back to the pressbox. I'll give him a little break because he hasn't had a lot of game time, but not much more.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Mete had his chance. He played first pairing with Weber for a year and a half and couldn’t score a single goal until his 100 th game. He’s bad.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Mete had his chance. He played first pairing with Weber for a year and a half and couldn’t score a single goal until his 100 th game. He’s bad.
I don't care about scoring goals for D. His play in D zone is what matters the most, the difference between the team wins and lose in the biggest concern.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m sort of glad Chiarot was injured in the context that it will give a better dman a chance to play. Now, don’t take this the wrong way, I wouldn’t never an injury on any player, but if this is what it takes to get him away from Weber then I think it’s huge opportunity.
What I don’t like is the pairing created in its place. JE has been better than I expected I believe he’s better than Chiarot, but him and Weber should never be on the same pair in much the same way that Chiarot and Weber shouldn’t have been a pairing.

How is this not obvious?? I would try this.
Romanov Weber
Edmundson Petry
Mete Kulak

I’d even switch Mete/Edmundson if it were up to me, but I’ll concede Joel has been a pleasant surprise even if his skating is pretty meh. I dunno how professional coaches think putting 2 dman with skating issues together is a good idea.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’m sort of glad Chiarot was injured in the context that it will give a better dman a chance to play. Now, don’t this the wrong way, I wouldn’t never an injury on any player, but if this is what it takes to get him away from Weber then I think it’s huge opportunity.
What I don’t like is the pairing created in its place. JE has been better than I expected I believe he’s better than Chiarot, but him and Weber should never be on the same pair in much the same way that Chiarot and Weber shouldn’t have been a pairing.

How is this not obvious?? I would try this.
Romanov Weber
Edmundson Petry
Mete Kulak

I’d even switch Mete/Edmundson if it were up to me, but I’ll concede Joel has been a pleasant surprise even if his skating is pretty meh. I dunno how professional coaches think putting 2 dman with skating issues together is a good idea.
Romanov has clearly been overwhelmed when playing top pairing TOI w Weber - he’s making numerous blunders even on the 3rd pair. He isn’t ready to take on greater responsibility right now, w the level of intensity picking up.

He’s going to be dynamite...maybe even next season but no need to force him to drink through a firehose

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I disagree, but fine. Give Weber the best skater then, Mete.
Mete sucks donkey dong, the overall team coverage in D zone has been terrible all season, putting Mete to face top opposition is a recipe for disaster ...that’s the issue there is no internal solution except trying Kulak, who’s also mega gaffe machine.

BTW - I think the coaches know very well Eddy-Weber is a pure short term approach...doing their best to buy time

The solution needs to come via trade..

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Mete sucks donkey dong, the overall team coverage in D zone has been terrible all season, putting Mete to face top opposition is a recipe for disaster ...that’s the issue there is no internal solution except trying Kulak, who’s also mega gaffe machine.

BTW - I think the coaches know very well Eddy-Weber is a pure short term approach...doing their best to buy time

The solution needs to come via trade..
Sure he does, he’s already proven he’s an even better partner for Weber than Chiarot was. You seem unable to evaluate this player on your own and are caught up in group-think and appeals to authority. We have watched our first pairing drown for last season and a half, but you would rather rely on the “experts” then try something that has already been proven to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad