Player Discussion Victor Mete: Part III

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
He's been failing when he's overtasked. This causes overstress. I dont' blame Mete by no means. We gotta point out those who decided to put him under the radar precociously. The damage has already been done.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So the last game Mete played was Nov 30th against the Flyers (4-3 OTL).

Since that game the Habs are 4-2 and Price has played much better. I feel like they are letting up less odd man rushes and overall have been much been defensively.

The two losses were against Boston (3-1) and Colorado (3-2). Both tight games.

Just a coincidence the overall defense is playing better?

Or maybe they aren't playing better and I'm just wrong?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So the last game Mete played was Nov 30th against the Flyers (4-3 OTL).

Since that game the Habs are 4-2 and Price has played much better. I feel like they are letting up less odd man rushes and overall have been much been defensively.

The two losses were against Boston (3-1) and Colorado (3-2). Both tight games.

Just a coincidence the overall defense is playing better?

Or maybe they aren't playing better and I'm just wrong?
I don't think it has anything to do with Mete. The team was constantly turning over pucks at the blue line, they weren't covering for a pinching dman and the forwards were getting caught deep in the zone.

Can't blame it on a single player. The team wasn't executing or buying into the system.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
One thing is certain Weber plays better with Chiarot. I never would have thought they'd be a good pair as Mete's speed makes up for Weber a little. but now Weber with chairot he feels like he trusts that chiarot will cover for him. Weber has 6 goals in 12 games playing with Chiarot.

Reactions: Trash Man and Tuggy

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
One thing is certain Weber plays better with Chiarot. I never would have thought they'd be a good pair as Mete's speed makes up for Weber a little. but now Weber with chairot he feels like he trusts that chiarot will cover for him. Weber has 6 goals in 12 games playing with Chiarot.
I think Weber has just elevated his game too though. The emphasis on Dmen joining the rush and being more aggressive in the ozone has been surprisingly beneficial for Weber this year.

You wouldn't initially think so because hes seen as being slow and having limited playmaking ability but he's much better than we give him credit for. He's probably our best shooter and he's likely the best in the game at winning puck battles. Smart too so he rarely ever makes a bad pinch.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think Weber has just elevated his game too though. The emphasis on Dmen joining the rush and being more aggressive in the ozone has been surprisingly beneficial for Weber this year.

You wouldn't initially think so because hes seen as being slow and having limited playmaking ability but he's much better than we give him credit for. He's probably our best shooter and he's likely the best in the game at winning puck battles. Smart too so he rarely ever makes a bad pinch.
He was quoted as saying he feels more comfortable knowing Chiarot is there covering for him.
It's interesting these two guys together. Lots of brawn on the ice.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He was quoted as saying he feels more comfortable knowing Chiarot is there covering for him.
It's interesting these two guys together. Lots of brawn on the ice.

Chiarot reminds me of Craig Rivet some reason.

Reactions: Tuggy

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
How would you rate Mete's season so far? Personally, I have been a bit disappointed by his defensive play this year. He was very good in October but I find his play has declined since. In the last few games, his decisions and coverage have been lackluster. I don't know how much of it has to do with the fragile state of the team or the direction being provided by the staff but I'm starting to be opened at the idea of dealing him.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Didn't change squat for him. Never understood this narrative that he came back so much better. I thought very little changed to his game and that showed again this year as he was pushed down to the 3rd pairing as soon as we got Scandella playing around 12-13min most games. If I recall correctly, he's played under 14min 9/13 games since.
Actually, he had already started playing less even before then.
He should have been kept in the AHL for the entire season, and the one prior. We wasted an asset on the rise because management keeps pushing to make the POs like morons instead of letting the kids develop properly.

Hope KK stays there for the rest of the year. He's got 3 assists already I think, let him burn the league for the rest of the season.
Mete was a 4th round pick right?

He's already exceeded all expectations. He's not going to be a top 4 and probably not a top 6 no matter how much time he was in the AHL.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Mete was a 4th round pick right?

He's already exceeded all expectations. He's not going to be a top 4 and probably not a top 6 no matter how much time he was in the AHL.
There's no reason to think he couldn't have been. He's very similar to Krug, in size, in style, in path, the difference is the Bruins let Krug develop his offensive game in the AHL, Habs didn't with Mete.
Krug wasn't even drafted.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There's no reason to think he couldn't have been. He's very similar to Krug, in size, in style, in path, the difference is the Bruins let Krug develop his offensive game in the AHL, Habs didn't with Mete.
Krug wasn't even drafted.

Do you honestly think mete had an offensive game to develop? It's not like he's been neutered from rushing the puck and trying to create offense. He does ( did) that a lot, he just doesn't create offense, maybe because of his muffin shot, where Krug has a bullet.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Do you honestly think mete had an offensive game to develop? It's not like he's been neutered from rushing the puck and trying to create offense. He does ( did) that a lot, he just doesn't create offense, maybe because of his muffin shot, where Krug has a bullet.

He did. He's produced and scored at every level. Krug didn't make the NHL until he was 22. Who knows what Mete could've done if he didn't spend half the game just trying to survive.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

That's really why they are two different kinds of player.

Krug is lethal. Mete is... not an issue to work around for most teams.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He did. He's produced and scored at every level. Krug didn't make the NHL until he was 22. Who knows what Mete could've done if he didn't spend half the game just trying to survive.
Maybe. I just don't see mete as being offensively talented. He can gain the zone and drive the net like a winger, but he rarely creates any offense.

It's possible that he's simply over his head, like you suggest.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes I do. He had consistent growth through his junior years, then was thrown right into the NHL and even got top pairing times at through some part of the season.
He wasn't moving the puck as well the first season, even his skating, so yes, spending a year in the AHL solidifying his offensive game. Getting used to playing versus bigger guys, how to time your plays, read the ice better, work on your creativity, ya I definitely think it would have helped his game more.

In the NHL, you don't get away making the same amount of mistakes, especially in Mtl. He's surrounded by vets, he gets the puck he's going to look to move it to others, his shot is pretty weak so he's not going to shot the puck a whole lot either here because you can be sure a NHL level goalie will make those saves, etc...
Add all these things, they make a big difference. He was sent down, scored a goal with 3 assists in just 7 GP, so yes, I definitely think had he played a full season in the AHL, his offensive game would be better.
Doesn't mean I think he'd crack 50pts like Krug, or even 40, but it would certainly be better than what it is today.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Maybe. I just don't see mete as being offensively talented. He can gain the zone and drive the net like a winger, but he rarely creates any offense.

It's possible that he's simply over his head, like you suggest.

A lot of guys weren't supposed to have much offense, but did.

The Devils and Red Wings were notorious at keeping their guys down a long time until they were truly ready and it only helped then consistently churn out players with a pro work ethic who exceeded expectations.

We actually had that going for us in the early 2000s. Ryder, Ribeiro, Komi, Beauchemin, Markov, Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn. Si many of our guys spent a long time in the AHL.

You can't always put guys up to failure so consistently during their formative years and expect results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad