Player Discussion Victor Mete (D) - Claimed off waivers from Montreal

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Sens hoping to replicate the Mike Reilly magic. Reilly got a 3rd this year, we'll flip Mete for a 2nd next deadline. Playin the long game.
Sens traded a 2020 5th round pick and Andrew Sturtz to the Habs for Mike Reilly. They just traded Reilly to Boston for a 2022 3rd round pick. Now they claim Victor Mete off waivers from the Habs.

In the end it equates out to us giving up nothing for assets. Sturtz was a non factor, the 2020 5th is essentially replaced by grabbing Mete and then we get at 2022 3rd for flipping Reilly.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We need real help on D not some spare part but I'm guessing there's no point to fix things until the offseason

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Just says a lot about our complement of d-men.

haha 1000%, the pain is real. Hopefully bran looks good with zub and JBD is at least a good #4/5 dman because that alone would make our defence look 1000x better.

All mete needs to is be better than j.brown/gudbransson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Would the Senators think of moving Brannstrom to the other side now? Or, have they already made their decision already on what side he will play?
Not sure. Both Mete and Brannstrom will play for the rest of the season but the point is that it doesn't make sense to have two 5'9 d men over the long term. I don't remember the last time any NHL team had that. So this will likely make one of them expendable.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sens traded a 2020 5th round pick and Andrew Sturtz to the Habs for Mike Reilly. They just traded Reilly to Boston for a 2022 3rd round pick. Now they claim Victor Mete off waivers from the Habs.

In the end it equates out to us giving up nothing for assets. Sturtz was a non factor, the 2020 5th is essentially replaced by grabbing Mete and then we get at 2022 3rd for flipping Reilly.

I'm sorry but this information doesn't fit the narrative of the blind Dorion haters who crap on EVERY move he makes.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm sorry but this information doesn't fit the narrative of the blind Dorion haters who crap on EVERY move he makes.
Is it possible that many fans can both see the positive things that have been done by Dorion, and criticize the bad moves?

Seeing things as so monolithic or binary doesn't seem like it would be a very accurate representation of a lot of people e.g., too simplistic.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I thought Mete wasn't good

Why are we excited?

He’s good. Just gets hemmed in like Brannstrom a bit. He’s more polished than Brannstrom, especially his silky east west skating.

Gonna be interesting to see how we gonna do with two 5’9 D on each pair. Teams are moving away from one let alone two.

Hoping Mete finds his game here. His underlying stats were quite good.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He did play a season with Matthew Tkachuk back with the London Knights so this is another Tkachuk family connection move.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
As opposed to what we've seen all year long? We've had the worst defence in the league all year long.
Eh.

I don't think:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Zub
Mete - Gudbranson/J.Brown

Is any worse than what we had prior to today. At all. If anything, there's more potential there.

For sure the defense core hasn't been a strong one and the team as a whole has struggled defensively. Which is exactly why losing Reilly, who despite all his faults had become a solid contributor and relying on Brannstrom and Mete to step up and fill that hole is concerning.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I guess Mete and Brannstrom will compete with eachother for the rest of the season to be the sole 5'9 d man moving forwards.

It really doesn't make sense to have two 5'9 d men in the long run so it would make sense if they are competing with eachother.

Overall decent asset management move.

Don't really get this mind set. A good coach makes it work if the players prove themselves to be talented. We had three 6'5 defenders this year. Didn't really pan out. Maybe we should put a limit on having too many tall players (half joking).

The point is if they are better than the taller guy at generating and preventing chances/goals, then you roll with them.

Reactions: DrEasy and Emrasie

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Not sure. Both Mete and Brannstrom will play for the rest of the season but the point is that it doesn't make sense to have two 5'9 d men over the long term. I don't remember the last time any NHL team had that. So this will likely make one of them expendable.
Samuel Girard and Cale Makar are 5'10" and 5'11" respectively. I am personally much more interested in a player's talent than his length.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Mete is likely the second fastest player on the team behind Formenton. He has some insane acceleration and he’s really good at breaking out of the defensive zone. Offense is a black hole but it’s not as bad as J. Brown or Gudbranson. If he’s sucks then just don’t qualify him. Hard to see anything bad in this move.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
For sure the defense core hasn't been a strong one and the team as a whole has struggled defensively. Which is exactly why losing Reilly, who despite all his faults had become a solid contributor and relying on Brannstrom and Mete to step up and fill that hole is concerning.

agreed to an extent. It is going to be interesting to see if brannstrom's play suddenly improves. If it does then we have to make a judgement call on is it because he is no longer with gudbransson or if zub made him look a lot better. If its #2 then do we factor that into reilly looking good all of a sudden

Reactions: DrEasy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Is it possible that many fans can both see the positive things that have been done by Dorion, and criticize the bad moves?

Seeing things as so monolithic or binary doesn't seem like it would be a very accurate representation of a lot of people e.g., too simplistic.

No question. I can see the good and the bad as do many fans.

But no question there is a group of "fans" that simply crap on every move no matter what.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Smart pickup.

Not expecting him to develop into a top 4 D but he could be a decent 3rd pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad