Confirmed Trade: [VGK/STL] Ivan Barbashev for Zach Dean

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
He's not good defensively, so that really limits the types of situations you can use him in. Kind of a big knock against being "well-rounded".
Because by the time you hit 20, you can never learn how to play in a defensive scheme, your lot is cast.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
His defensive metrics have been bad for ages. However, some of those are misleading, so it's not the only measure. As a big Barbashev fan, I'll say that he's a good penalty killer, and he does have a 200 foot game, but it's incomplete. He goes to the right spots on the ice and he wins battles, but he often coughs up the puck in bad places that result in loss of possession or rushes against. I don't have stats to back it up, but it's my armchair belief that's why his metrics look bad: he's a poor possession player, but he's good at checking and good on the rush and around the net.
This is an overall excellent description particularly the bolded. That's exactly what it is.

I'd add that I can't shake the impression of this happening a lot during the Cup run but it being hidden because of how often Binnington saved him.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Barbs is a decent player, nothing special. His main attribute is that he hits people occasionally. He’ll lay the wood to you when he can. He had 3-4 big hits yesterday vs the Pens. But he doesnt do that every game. And he’ll score here and there too. Last year was an exception, but he can chip in goals. He’s definitely not a playmaker. He’s a very useful player and his physicality was a huge factor when the Blues won the cup

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
Dean's numbers have stayed pretty much the same through 4 years in the QMJHL. That's a tell-tale sign that he will likely top out as a good AHLer. Vegas wins this one.
To be fair, the Blues can't really lose this trade because they once again turned a player who had no future with the team beyond the last 25 games of a losing regular season into future assets. It's a solid trade for both teams because both teams got what they wanted.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
To be fair, the Blues can't really lose this trade because they once again turned a player who had no future with the team beyond the last 25 games of a losing regular season into future assets. It's a solid trade for both teams because both teams got what they wanted.
This is it in a nutshell, peeps.

Barbie is an underrated smooth operator.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Because by the time you hit 20, you can never learn how to play in a defensive scheme, your lot is cast.
I mean, he's 27 and a pending UFA. They're not acquiring him to completely re-develop his game.

What situations would you not use him in?
Defensive situations. Shutdown minutes. Wouldn't play him in the top-six either.

That basically leaves "sheltered bottom-six scorer" role at even strength.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I mean, he's 27 and a pending UFA. They're not acquiring him to completely re-develop his game.

Defensive situations. Shutdown minutes. Wouldn't play him in the top-six either.

My apologies, I thought you were talking about Dean and not Barby

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
He's not good defensively, so that really limits the types of situations you can use him in. Kind of a big knock against being "well-rounded".

There's so much more to hockey than just even strength puck possession defensive metrics. It's not just OFFENSE and DEFENSE. Most teams don't actually shut down the opposition with their bottom lines. He's a useful player in a variety of situations. That's not complete, but for a lower line player, it's well-rounded.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I can't see Dean ever having a 60 point season like Barbashev did a couple of years back but I think this trade makes perfect sense.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

I wouldn't want him on a transition heavy line as he can be prone to turnovers in the NZ and is sometimes late on the backcheck, but he has a lot of good defensive attributes. He is an excellent PKer, and can fit in nicely as the third wheel on a top six line that can cycle pucks. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up excelling on a line with a strong play-driver like Eichel or Stone.

Reactions: mab894

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
It's crazy that Nicholas Hague is like the only drafted player to stick with the team. Vegas fans must think draft picks are strictly for being traded.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I can't see Dean ever having a 60 point season like Barbashev did a couple of years back but I think this trade makes perfect sense.

maybe not but is Barbashev gonna have 60 pts going forward?

In any case, its a moot point. Sounds like Barbashev would have been gone after the year so its a win for the Blues if Dean becomes a regular player in their lineup

And Vegas adds a player for their run... like you said makes perfect sense

Reactions: 67Blues

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
In any case, its a moot point. Sounds like Barbashev would have been gone after the year so its a win for the Blues if Dean becomes a regular player in their lineup

i'm not sure where you're hearing that, but here's opposite info

• Wow
Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
i'm not sure where you're hearing that, but here's opposite info

I honestly just assumed since everyone points out that he's becoming UFA at the end of the year.

Do we know anything about why Barbashev was traded then? Obviously for the Blues it makes sense to recoup assets,then try to sign him again... he's a good player. But did Barbashev signal intent to chase money or another Cup?

They can be on good terms, but he's still gonna be UFA at the end of the day

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad