Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CGY/PHI] Noah Hanifin (75% retained), Mikhail Vorobyov to VGK; 2026 1st , 2025 cond. 3rd, Daniil Miromanov to CGY; 2024 5th to PHI

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
We keep Hague.

1709803123909.gif

• Haha
Reactions: hangman005

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The conditions on this trade is weird. Why include a condition that if the 2025 1st is traded my March 10th 2024, then Calgary gets a 2026 1st.

That is unless McCrimmon is trying to make another move that will cost a 1st.
Maybe 2? They have enough LTIR space to add both Guentzel & Toffoli at 75% retained and they've been linked to both.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The conditions on this trade is weird. Why include a condition that if the 2025 1st is traded my March 10th 2024, then Calgary gets a 2026 1st.

That is unless McCrimmon is trying to make another move that will cost a 1st.

Likely want to make a play for one of Guentzel/Buchnevich/Toffoli.

Technically, they could pull off two of them too with max retention.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
*Conditions: If traded by March 10, 2024 OR if the pick is top 10, Calgary will instead receive 2026 1st round 'VGK'

I would hope that the condition would result in an unprotected 2026 otherwise its a lock that vegas deals it.
If 2026 it is "without conditions" per Conroy in a post-trade interview.

So, lets hope they trade the '25

Reactions: Mitts

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think in order for the Flames to win this deal they need to hit on these picks and for VGK to win, they need to win the Stanley Cup or re-sign Hanifin.

I don't really understand the Flames signing this AHL player to a 2-year extension. I guess they are hoping he is a late bloomer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think in order for the Flames to win this deal they need to hit on these picks and for VGK to win, they need to win the Stanley Cup or re-sign Hanifin.

I don't really understand the Flames signing this AHL player to a 2-year extension. I guess they are hoping he is a late bloomer
How is any deadline deal for a rental ever a loss for the seller? You take the offer you like best, or get nothing. Choosing something over nothing is a win.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Signing this borderline nhler to a 2 year extension seems like damage control.

Have to show the fanbase that we are getting something for him before next year.

Ledge And Dairy

Again, these are all conditions based on standings, not on “if something better comes along”.

I was just saying I’ve never seen conditions like that one in this trade and I have no idea how it’s even legal.
The condition is really not that different from the part of the Monahan deal where Montreal could choose to take Calgary's 2024 1st if it was in the 20-32 range. The condition in this deal essentially says Vegas has the option to trade give their 2026 1st rounder to Calgary instead, but only if they trade their 2025 as well, the only difference is Vegas has a time limit to make that decision and that chance ends March 10th.

Reactions: WhataKnight

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
The condition is really not that different from the part of the Monahan deal where Montreal could choose to take Calgary's 2024 1st if it was in the 20-32 range. The condition in this deal essentially says Vegas has the option to trade give their 2026 1st rounder to Calgary instead, but only if they trade their 2025 as well, the only difference is Vegas has a time limit to make that decision and that chance ends March 10th.

Those conditions scream “this ain’t over.”

One must assume KMFGM has another deal nearing completion. It’s a trapdoor in case the next trade (for a winger) goes south.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry44

Ledge And Dairy

Those conditions scream “this ain’t over.”

One must assume KFMGM has another deal nearing completion. It’s a trapdoor in case the next trade (for a winger) goes south.
Maybe. It really depends who they go after. I think it's pretty clear that Calgary is not that high on the later picks in this year's draft for one thing. That and Vegas doesn't want to move their 2024 pick as they are hosting the draft. I think it was more that it gave Kelly the option if he wants to go for like Buchnevich or Guentzel. But lets say he goes after Toffoli, I'm not sure he will return a 2025 1st, nor if a 2025 1st is what New jersey is particularly interested in

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Lmao. It's like there's only 3 teams left in the NHL where players wanna go - Vegas, Panthers and Lightning
Hot weather + no tax is a hell of a drug

Never understood however how players are willing to talk extension with a new team before ever playing a game for them or living in he city.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Brown

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I hope going forward more teams are reluctant to give NTC/NMC clauses. Especially when they limit it to only a few teams.

I get it's not likely, as the player has the power, but it's just becoming so common where players can force a team's hand essentially and their limited trading partners know that.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Hot weather + no tax is a hell of a drug

Never understood however how players are willing to talk extension with a new team before ever playing a game for them or living in he city.
Hanifin is BFFs with Eichel so he knows all about Vegas.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Lmao, this is a fine return for a rental. Not exactly sure what many of you were expecting for someone that wasn’t doing Calgary any favors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad