Confirmed Trade: [VGK/CBJ] David Clarkson, '17 1st (#24) & '19 2nd to select William Karlsson

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Someone explain the trading of dead contract players? Clarkson can't play anymore and long term
Injury plus insurance should mean his contract does hurt cap too much or the teams finances, why the need to trade him?

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
Karlsson...a decent 3rd liner...there's a ton of them in NHL...no big loss...plus 2 scrappy picks...

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Someone explain the trading of dead contract players? Clarkson can't play anymore and long term
Injury plus insurance should mean his contract does hurt cap too much or the teams finances, why the need to trade him?

Injured players won't hit the LTIR until the season starts and until then count against the cap.

There is a deadline for season opening, when your team has to be under the cap per NHL rules, before players can be put to LTIR.

What that means is, if your team is over the cap at that point, you either have to make a paper move and send waiver exempt players to the minors to free up cap space for a day (this is what teams usually do), waive players you know never get claimed, OR being forced to trade someone.

Problem for Columbus is they're looking to be tight to the cap in the next few years, only a few guys waiver exempt and literally not one player who would pass through the waivers. Except Hartnell but he has a NMC.

For teams like Arizona and Carolina these contracts wouldn't be a problem because they won't be anywhere close to the cap regardless, but for good teams like Columbus it's a big problem. If you're not careful you can end up losing a good player for nothing, not to mention how embarrassing that would be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
LTIR isn't actually "free cap space", though we frequently think of it that way. The paper dance we did last year wasn't repeatable because it was dependent on Wennberg not being waiver-eligible. Presumably we could have figured out a way to make it happen anyways.

However - and this is something I personally didn't realize until very recently - it also significantly impacts midseason trade flexibility, because LTIR folks still count against the year-end limit. So you can end up in a situation where even though you "have space" to work with, you can't make any large pickups midseason because New Guy + LTIR Guy together could put you over the cap by the end of the season. There's paperwork dances to get around that as well, but they're much more messy and have to be done throughout the season, and it's not good for roster stability.

That second bit isn't nearly as much of an issue for teams that are close to the floor anyways or aren't expecting to make big midseason trades, but we're close enough to the upper limit AND at a phase in our team's development (trying to contend) that it's something to worry about. Not so horrible that we needed to get rid of him right away, but enough that it was well worth considering. And if there was a time to make it happen, that time was now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Having a big contract that has to go on LTIR to start the season is a pain in the ass. This is why Boston and Philly moved Savard and Pronger as soon as they could.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The 2nd round 2019 pick was what I didn't like about the deal... but in the grand scheme of things its probably a small cost to pay with the options that this deal now gives us.

Best of luck to Wild Bill, great kid.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
1st to ditch Clarkson, protect Anderson and Johnson.

2nd to protect Korpisalo.

No prospect involved.

Solid trade for both sides.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007

Teams can usually find a way to do the "paper dance" at the beginning of the season to get around that situation. However, having a player on LTIR really affects team in 2 significant ways.

Let's say that the cap limit for the season is 75 mil. Your active roster has a cap hit of 70 mil with no LTIR players. You will have 5 mil in left over cap at the end of the year if everything remains the same. However, let's say that your team is having an awesome season and you decide at the trade deadline, with only 1/3 of the season left, that you are "going for it" and want to add players that you think can win you the cup. Because you are only paying 1/3 of the new players salaries for the year you can add up to 15 mil of players cap hit because 10 mil of that would be paid for by their previous team. You basically "banked" 10mil through the first 2/3 of the season. Now if you have a player on LTIR with a cap hit of 5 mil, they count against your cap UNTIL you need to go over it (by only 5 mil cause that's the value of the LTIR contract) and you don't get to "bank" that 10 mil. So at the deadline, instead of being able to add 15mil worth of cap hit now you can only add 5mil worth of cap hit.

The second problem, and one that most forget and is really where LTIR contracts hurt you is in rookie bonuses. For this example I'll is the Leafs from last year. With Lupul and Horton they had roughly 10 mil in LTIR. They didn't even come close to using all that dead cap space but they DID have to use roughly 5 mil of it so the other 5 mil counted against their cap. Rookie bonuses aren't paid until the end of the season and if a team doesn't have the cap space to pay them this year they get pushed to the next season and essentially count as "dead cap space" for the next year. The Leafs had about 4 mil in rookie bonuses last year so if the cap limit for next season is 75 mil they really only have 71 mil to spend on their roster. Regardless of them being able to put Lupul and Horton on LTIR last season and it NOT affecting them then, those contracts HAVE cost them 4 mil in cap space for the next season that they CANNOT get back because they couldn't pay their rookie bonuses for last year.

These are the 2 situations where LTIR affects teams in a negative way most often. I hope this way clear and concise enough and helps to clarify things.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What a turn of events for Clarkson. When he signed that contract, he had no idea he would be on a Las Vegas team payroll in 3 years, lol.

Or have a back injury that prevents him from playing the game he loves.

Lol, right?

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, plz. I hear that insurance companies only pay 80%~90% of the contract. The teams need to pay the rest, and CBJ is not the leafs.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Teams can usually find a way to do the "paper dance" at the beginning of the season to get around that situation. However, having a player on LTIR really affects team in 2 significant ways.

These are the 2 situations where LTIR affects teams in a negative way most often. I hope this way clear and concise enough and helps to clarify things.
ya, you right :handclap:. However, CBJ is not a cap team and never will until the current owner :popcorn:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, plz. I hear that insurance companies only pay 80%~90% of the contract. The teams need to pay the rest, and CBJ is not the leafs.

It really depends upon the contract. Just like with health insurance you can get the typical plan that covers say 80% of your costs or you can pay more in your premium and get 100% coverage.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
ya, you right :handclap:. However, CBJ is not a cap team and never will until the current owner :popcorn:
...2007 called; they want their misapprehensions about the Jackets back.

Seriously. The "not a cap team" thing went away when Doug MacLean was fired. It took a little longer for Howson to start to actually take advantage of that (mostly because of the utter pile of **** he was left), but he was never handcuffed for money.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the insight Phlocky.

For me, the deal comes down to how the CBJ decide to use the money and space freed up by moving Clarkson.

If they use it wisely, I think this is a great deal and is less than I was anticipating the CBJ would have to give up to protect 3 high quality players along with dumping Clarkson.

If they did it purely to save money, then I'm more skeptical.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
...2007 called; they want their misapprehensions about the Jackets back.

Seriously. The "not a cap team" thing went away when Doug MacLean was fired. It took a little longer for Howson to start to actually take advantage of that (mostly because of the utter pile of **** he was left), but he was never handcuffed for money.

We currently have the 6th highest payroll and that's after losing Clarkson. You were saying?

sry, my bad. I should say a team that wants to spend money wisely

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Karlsson is pretty meh. Looks to be one of the youngest Golden Knights, depending on how trades shake out.

He was used a "defensive" center (55% Dzone starts) but he's horrible at shot suppression and is not a good faceoff guy. I think his ceiling is maybe 30 points offensively.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
What a turn of events for Clarkson. When he signed that contract, he had no idea he would be on a Las Vegas team payroll in 3 years, lol.

lol

Just when you think no one would ever take on that contract and player again, someone does.

There's no such thing as albatross and immovable anymore.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

He also became the head coach of a local high school hockey team this season.

From signing a big contract in Toronto to being the head coach of a high school hockey team in Columbus and traded to Vegas's NHL team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
sry, my bad. I should say a team that wants to spend money wisely

"My first attempt at a pointless dig on the team fell flat because of a ten-year old misconception, so I'm going to try again using a two-year old one. That's better, right?"

Eventually we'll move on to "YEAH BUT U FAILED IN PLAYOFFS LOL" and will thereby manage to completely distance ourselves from relevance to the topic of the Clarkson trade.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
"My first attempt at a pointless dig on the team fell flat because of a ten-year old misconception, so I'm going to try again using a two-year old one. That's better, right?"

Eventually we'll move on to "YEAH BUT U FAILED IN PLAYOFFS LOL" and will thereby manage to completely distance ourselves from relevance to the topic of the Clarkson trade.

I think he meant that it was a good move because paying Clarkson was not spending money wisely unlike Vancouver or Toronto who just waste it.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

C'mon, I was not making fun of your team. We all knew why Clarkson ended up in CBJ in the first place. Actually, I was surprised to see CBJ trade him to VGK, not to Coyotes .

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad