Andrei Vasilevskiy's insane season

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Unsurprisingly, Bob and Vasilevsky who are in
His expected SV% is top 10 in the league, Tampa is an elite team in front of him. He's outperformed that xSV% by about 1 percent.

Bobrovski is pretty easily the best tendy in the league right now.
Bob plays for a pretty good team as well.
View media item 959
Also look at the xG numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDTBay4

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Ugh, people are using "Big Cat" or "The Cat" as his nickname...

DH3ZN3aUAAAm90T.jpg

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Why doesn't Budaj have nice stats? Does he play for a different team?

Why didn't Lindback post the same numbers Bishop did?????
What are we talking about Bishop? He isn't even the best goaltender on his team.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He looked amazing last night. Still don't think he can beat out Bob. Bob has been incredible for the last couple of years.
He is playing very well. I think he has a legitimate chance of winning the vezina. Of course Bobrovsky will be a favorite as well. I'm still hoping Holtby can get on a roll and get in the Vezina talk.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Who are the youngest Vezina winners? Pretty amazing what Vasy and Gibson have done at such a young age as a goalie.

Reactions: PCDiesel

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
VV said "They are definitely the best team in the West!" when asked about the Blues.

Nice compliment. Blues played great last night but VV held it down. Game was a lot closer than 3-0. One of those being an empty-netter.

Some of those saves were incredible.

Reactions: JHockey123

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
VV said "They are definitely the best team in the West!" when asked about the Blues.

Nice compliment. Blues played great last night but VV held it down. Game was a lot closer than 3-0. One of those being an empty-netter.

Some of those saves were incredible.
Including two amazing ones that didn't count.

Reactions: Lancer

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Unsurprisingly, Bob and Vasilevsky who are in

Bob plays for a pretty good team as well.
View media item 959
Also look at the xG numbers.
The difference is Bob is THE reason the jackets are one of the top teams in the league right now. The offense hasn't given him ANY help this season. The jackets will score a quick goal or two and then pretty much put all the pressure on bob to get the W. Bob has been nothing short of stellar and vezina worthy, I'd argue that Bob is even in Hart contention.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The difference is Bob is THE reason the jackets are one of the top teams in the league right now. The offense hasn't given him ANY help this season. The jackets will score a quick goal or two and then pretty much put all the pressure on bob to get the W. Bob has been nothing short of stellar and vezina worthy, I'd argue that Bob is even in Hart contention.
Goalies don't win the Hart when there are decent forward candidates (the exception being Hasek).

Outside of Hasek, when Theodore won, the top point getter had 96 points. The only other time during that period where the Art Ross went to a player without 100 points was 99-00, when Pronger won the Hart. When Price won, the Art Ross went to a player with 87 points (only other sub-100 Hart winner was Corey Perry who had 98 points).

If there is a 100 point scorer this year, a goalie will not win the Hart.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Goalies don't win the Hart when there are decent forward candidates (the exception being Hasek).

Outside of Hasek, when Theodore won, the top point getter had 96 points. The only other time during that period where the Art Ross went to a player without 100 points was 99-00, when Pronger won the Hart. When Price won, the Art Ross went to a player with 87 points (only other sub-100 Hart winner was Corey Perry who had 98 points).

If there is a 100 point scorer this year, a goalie will not win the Hart.
I'm not saying he's gonna win, but if the jackets offense doesn't pick up and Bobrovsky drags this team into the playoffs, let alone a top spot in the east, he will most definitely be in the talks for hart.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Bob is undoubtedly better than Vasi. However I think Vasi can win the Vezina. A couple years back Holtby won the Vezina over the superior Bishop (Bish led starters in sv% and GAA but Holtby had a better team + more wins and thus won the trophy). This year, Vasi looks like he could win many games like the Holtbeast, but maybe also lead in sv% and/or GAA.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Bobrovsky has an incrementally higher save percentage than Vasilevskiy despite facing ~35% more high danger shots against and 5% fewer low danger shots against in roughly the same ice time at all strengths. The median NHL goalie is 8 times more likely to give up a goal on a high danger shot than a low danger shot. Quick's shot quality is far trickier than Vasilevskiy's too.

He shouldn't be in Vezina contention.

He absolutely should at the moment, and will be if he keeps it up. It doesn't mean he's the best goalie in the league, he's not, but he's been a big reason to Tampa's success (and not the other way around like some are suggesting).

Cannot think of 3 better goalies than him this season. Bobrovsky and that's it. Quick, Gibson and Crawford have been superb but not as consistent as Vasi, and that matters too.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Some of you are selling the Blue Jackets team as a whole short.

A chart has already been posted showing the possession stats of CBJ (this ignores goaltending) and they are good

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He absolutely should at the moment, and will be if he keeps it up. It doesn't mean he's the best goalie in the league, he's not, but he's been a big reason to Tampa's success (and not the other way around like some are suggesting).

Cannot think of 3 better goalies than him this season. Bobrovsky and that's it. Quick, Gibson and Crawford have been superb but not as consistent as Vasi, and that matters too.

Shot difficulty says otherwise, my friend.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Shot difficulty says otherwise, my friend.

there is nothing wrong with his HDSV%

Do you also think Dubnyk is bad? Sorry man, I know Bobrovsky is your guy but him letting in beach balls in the post-season will affect some voters' judgement

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
there is nothing wrong with his HDSV%

Do you also think Dubnyk is bad? Sorry man, I know Bobrovsky is your guy but him letting in beach balls in the post-season will affect some voters' judgement

Sure, there's nothing wrong, but he'd have let in ~10 more goals in 25 games if he had faced as many HDSA as Bobrovsky is.

Bobrovsky isn't my guy, he's merely the best goalie. Dubnyk isn't good this year. Vasi is, but not in the Vezina range. I don't care about the voters; they can do their thing and Vasi probably would finish top 3 right now. I don't think he should.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sure, there's nothing wrong, but he'd have let in ~10 more goals in 25 games if he had faced as many HDSA as Bobrovsky is.

Bobrovsky isn't my guy, he's merely the best goalie. Dubnyk isn't good this year. Vasi is, but not in the Vezina range. I don't care about the voters; they can do their thing and Vasi probably would finish top 3 right now. I don't think he should.
OK who should be in the top 3?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad