Injury Report: Versteeg - out about a month per Q (update: longer?)

Nothingman*

On Twitter sounds like he is going to be out longer than anticipated.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Shame to hear. Hopefully it's just taking longer to heal than expected, not that it was worse than they initially believed.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
As long as they don't rush him the team should be able to weather the storm. He should stay out as long as he needs to be 100%.

Martin Riggs

You wanna see crazy?
Jan 27, 2014
LAPD- Homicide
f1fd7b1590fd8530b9006758de4fbe040b5774ee3f265e629e839642e4b46916.jpg

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
‏@AdamHoge
#Blackhawks HC Joel Quenneville told @WGNRadio that Kris Versteeg is “getting real close” to returning. Probably not this week though.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
‏@AdamHoge
#Blackhawks HC Joel Quenneville told @WGNRadio that Kris Versteeg is “getting real close†to returning. Probably not this week though.

Where do we put him?

Saad Toews Hossa- Has been working
Sharp Richards Kane- Has been working
Bickell Shaw Teravainen
Nordstrom/Carcillo Kruger Smith

...do you put Versteeg at 3RW and bench Teravainen?
... do you put him at 3RW and bump Teravainen to Center and put Shaw at 4LW?

Really good problems but problems nonetheless

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Will be glad when Steeger's back. I'll let Q worry about the lines and leave the complaining about said lines to you guys. ;)

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Q called me....I have approved:

Saad Toews TT - two bulls and a playmaker
Versteeg Richards Kane - worked before the injury, very well
Sharp Shaw Hossa - Hossa needs the rest anyhow
Bickell Kruger Smith - checking line

But seriously, this will never happen. Just getting creative.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Versteeg can play both wings, so put him on the third line with Bickell and TT, and drop Shaw to the 4th line wing to battle for the role of moron, er... I mean 'gritty player' with Carcillo.

20-19-81
10-91-88
29-86-23
65-16-28

That leaves the top line alone to handle the top competition, it leaves the second line alone since the Patricks seem to be clicking with each other, it gives TT two shoot-first players to counter his seeming unwillingness to ever shoot, and it limits Shaw's ice time.

Win-win-win-win.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Versteeg can play both wings, so put him on the third line with Bickell and TT, and drop Shaw to the 4th line wing to battle for the role of moron, er... I mean 'gritty player' with Carcillo.

20-19-81
10-91-88
29-86-23
65-16-28

That leaves the top line alone to handle the top competition, it leaves the second line alone since the Patricks seem to be clicking with each other, it gives TT two shoot-first players to counter his seeming unwillingness to ever shoot, and it limits Shaw's ice time.

Win-win-win-win.

2nd choice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

20-19-81
10-91-88
29-86-23
65-16-28

Win-win-win-win.
I'm not sold on shaw and hope Q does the right thing and puts him on the 4th and goes with these lines.
If you have shoot first guys then you should want to give them a guy who can pass the puck.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Shaw is an important piece to the team. We have no one else like him on the roster, and although he's having a down season, I think come playoff time he will eventually put it together. Shaw is the least of my worries.

I would like to see Toews start producing more offensively.

Nothingman*

Shaw is an important piece to the team. We have no one else like him on the roster, and although he's having a down season, I think come playoff time he will eventually put it together. Shaw is the least of my worries.

Then when the playoffs roll around fine. In the RS now he needs a demotion to at least the 4th line. This is the second or third time this year his dumb penalty has negated one of our PPs. He is just such a dumbass this season. No different that others and I an put up with that if he contributes.....which he is not.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

What exactly do you think Shaw does that nobody else on the team can do? He is one of the least skilled players on the team, he belongs on the 4th line in a healthy lineup.

And Toews has 42 points in 51 games, which is right in line with his production every year save the shortened season. He's the least of our problems.

The bottom 6 and the defense are the Hawks biggest problems right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What exactly do you think Shaw does that nobody else on the team can do? He is one of the least skilled players on the team, he belongs on the 4th line in a healthy lineup.

And Toews has 42 points in 51 games, which is right in line with his production every year save the shortened season. He's the least of our problems.

The bottom 6 and the defense are the Hawks biggest problems right now.

I'd like to add 2nd line's D-play on your problems list. It's pretty bad.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

That's the problem. He hasn't progressed as a player offensively. This isn't some seasoned vet in his 30's. He is still only 26. Unless you believe he is what he is, I still believe Toews has as much upside as anyone to go along with his elite defensive game.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
That's the problem. He hasn't progressed as a player offensively. This isn't some seasoned vet in his 30's. He is still only 26. Unless you believe he is what he is, I still believe Toews has as much upside as anyone to go along with his elite defensive game.

IIRC, players generally peak offensively by 27-28, I just don't think we're ever going to get much more from toews. Though, it is interesting to note that his goal scoring is down a bit this season, especially lately where as his point total is in line for one of the better seasons of his career.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

It's nothing significant, but Toews is having a down year offensively. Before this season, he was averaging about 33 goals and 75 points per 82 games. He's currently on pace for 24 goals and 68 points. It's more so his goal scoring that's down, but I think it will pick up a little bit.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
I think Toews is being relied on to first and foremost neutralize the opponents offensive lines, the offensive side of his game is secondary currently. If the PP would be worth a damn, Toews could have more goals and points. But as long as coaching doesn't plan to change up their PP strategy I don't see it changing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad