Injury Report: Versteeg - out about a month per Q (update: longer?)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp Richards Kane
Bickell TT Shaw
Nordstrom Kruger Smith

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
If I had to guess, I'd say this won't effect the TT schedule. His multipoint game was followed by 0+0 nights (combined -3), although I didn't see these games to say how he played. He wasn't taking "important" draws when I saw a game a while ago. It seems he might not be ready for center duties in NHL yet, although his coach commented his defensive game being "not a problem"; it seems they are developing that aspect by playing him on some PK as well.

I'm hoping he gets a couple of games up, but I wouldn't count on it being a long stint, if it occurs.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I doubt TT will get the call. This injury in a way solves the issue of having a Saad or Sharp playing bottom 6 minutes. Yeah, I look for McNeil based on his numbers, but Danault impressed Q in his stint, so it could be him. The boring option would be to bring Nordstrom back into the line-up. That said, your guess is good as mine. Hawks often surprise when it comes to call ups. Heck, they could promote Clendening and play him on the wing, and I wouldn't be surprised. :laugh:

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I would love to see this lineup without Steeger

sharp-toews-shaw
bickell-richards-kane
saad-TT-hossa
carcillo-krueger-smith

Why the hell would you put Bickell on the 2nd line? At least put Shaw there since he *actually* goes to the front of the net consistantly.

As for this injury, It will be huge, but I've noticed our team seems to play better when we're missing a piece. I got a feeling they step it up for awhile while Versteeg is out.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Why the hell would you put Bickell on the 2nd line? At least put Shaw there since he *actually* goes to the front of the net consistantly.

As for this injury, It will be huge, but I've noticed our team seems to play better when we're missing a piece. I got a feeling they step it up for awhile while Versteeg is out.

I kind of see his logic, having Saad and Hossa flanking TT. You ideally want two of your better 2-way players flanking the new kid and covering for any mistakes.

That said, if TT is coming, you could probably split the difference and go:

29-19-88
20-86-81
10-91-65
13-16-28

If only because we know the Bickell-Toews-Kane combination works, and 91 and 10 could use a pesky net front presence.

You could substitute 42 for 13, depending on whether Q feels like GRIT! is needed.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Seriously. Huge blow.

We've had bad luck with guys who are actually worth a damn getting injured for us. (Sharp, TVR, Versteeg, etc.) Why can't it be guys who aren't that good/don't have a future here hockey gods? (won't name guys since there's a couple self explanatory... not that I'm advocating injuries of course)

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I don't think its really fair to say we've had bad luck - this is more like normal, while previously we've had awfully good luck with injuries.

It's why the Handzus mistake was so unforgivable last year. No serious injuries, everything came into place for the Hawks for the playoffs, but we threw it away with an ECHL caliber second line center. Gotta make those runs when they happen, because some years you just get wrecked with injuries.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Even if he broken several bones in his hand it's a minor setback. He'll be back in a month. It'll be O.K.

If you are going to have injuries, I'll consider the ones we have had lucky.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
It turns out Steeg DID have surgery on his hand. Still expecting the 1 month absence, but it just goes to show you how often Q doles out the misinformation.

I wonder if they can call this a "wrist injury" now that the word is out. Nothing worse than the generic "upper" and "lower" body injury descriptions.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Came to this thread expecting the bump to be about an early Verbeauty return. Instead I got a return of THE NUT, hazelnut, Hawknut himself. Great Success!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad