Seravalli: Vegas "well down the track" on talks to acquire Jonathan Quick, salary cap obstacles could prevent trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
What am I missing? They have over 7 million in space
With the NHL's statement on LTIR trades or trades that affect LTIR, this guy would be the problem with the cap.

1677709734000.png

There is still an outside chance that he is ready for the Playoffs, but it is slim.

Reactions: Nikishin Go Boom

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
With the NHL's statement on LTIR trades or trades that affect LTIR, this guy would be the problem with the cap.

View attachment 660338

There is still an outside chance that he is ready for the Playoffs, but it is slim.
Wasn't the statement about acquiring players on LTIR, not existing ones?

Example: If Vegas were to trade Stone to let's say Tampa, and Stone first game was game 1 of the playoffs, Tampa would be in trouble.

Vegas is still free to use the cap freedom from Stone being on LTIR as long as the acquired player is healthy now. Or am I wrong on that?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, Kings should have stuck with the inferior goaltending and not risk having Quick and his 3.50 AAV and .876 save percentage "haunt them" in the playoffs. ROFL. These takes, man. o_O
Did a franchise icon dirty, while having a subpar probability of winning the cup!

• Haha
Reactions: FSL KINGS

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Wasn't the statement about acquiring players on LTIR, not existing ones?

Example: If Vegas were to trade Stone to let's say Tampa, and Stone first game was game 1 of the playoffs, Tampa would be in trouble.

Vegas is still free to use the cap freedom from Stone being on LTIR as long as the acquired player is healthy now. Or am I wrong on that?
Yes, but if Stone is healthy before the Playoffs start and he can get into games before, they would be forced to keep him on LTIR, which would probably trigger an investigation from the NHL about why they don't have the required space for him.

At that point in the season, there isn't anything they would be able to do to free up the required cap space short of icing like a 15 player team, which the NHL also wouldn't allow. Vegas is working to have the space to take Stone off LTIR, while still being able to fit in Quick.

Reactions: JKG33

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This reminds me of when LA gifted McNabb to Vegas in the expansion draft and McNabb had the series-winning goal against LA the next postseason. :laugh:

It doesn't seem to me like a bad idea for Vegas to acquire Quick as an insurance policy. Both of their goalies have played fewer than 100 NHL games and never been in an NHL playoffs, whereas Quick is comfortable in the playoffs and even tends to step up in them. I think that it comes down to "if your inexperienced starter chokes in the playoffs, would you feel better taking a chance on the other inexperienced goalie or the proven vet?"

Last edited:
Reactions: SettlementRichie10

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That is ludicrous. If it's more than a 7th it's too much. If we're spending a 3rd on a rental goalie you may as well get Talbot or Stolarz who at least have a pulse and reasonable cap hits.

I hope they do it, Quick only plays 1 game, and everyone gets pissed as Lehner wins the cup with a .999sv%

Truck22

Nov 12, 2022
I hear Laine is coming with him. BJ's get 23 1st, 24 conditional 1st, Lehner and Brisson

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I hear Laine is coming with him. BJ's get 23 1st, 24 conditional 1st, Lehner and Brisson
Given that Pat Brisson was the agent for the Jackets' most recent dramatic departures that really screwed the team (Jones and Dubois), the idea of his son being traded here might cause the universe to implode.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro and Mrfenn92

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Don't Vegas have the most springy boards in the league? Its almost suicide playing quick in that arena.

Reactions: fsanford

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yes, but if Stone is healthy before the Playoffs start and he can get into games before, they would be forced to keep him on LTIR, which would probably trigger an investigation from the NHL about why they don't have the required space for him.

At that point in the season, there isn't anything they would be able to do to free up the required cap space short of icing like a 15 player team, which the NHL also wouldn't allow. Vegas is working to have the space to take Stone off LTIR, while still being able to fit in Quick.

Vegas is about the last team uncle Gary is going to investigate.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
This rumor makes little sense to me. Vegas already has Thompson, Hill and Broissoit, and this would only make sense if they are looking to trade Hill and thereby dump his contract.

Also, Vegas' much bigger need is a forward to replace Stone who may or may not be back in time for the playoffs.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
People said the same thing about Quick 2 years ago and he almost sent the Oilers packaging last playoffs.
He did have 3 down years before a good year last season but his numbers this year are even worse those 3 years. He was about mid .890s for those 3 years. He is now .876. That is just not nhl level play at this point. He is done. If you watch its even more apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad