Seravalli: Vegas shopping Dadonov to other teams

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Fair. Didn't see the date. oops.
4 1/2 years later...
3qxwhr.jpg

It's still funny, IMO. If you mock others for the situation that they're in and, even 4.5 years later, you find yourself in the same situation, it doesn't look too good on you. In fairness, LA has taken some shots at Vegas, too, and the latter has had a lot more success in those 4.5 years.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Players generally don't get seen by non-team doctors unless there's a disagreement.

As for next season, not sure that's an option for Vegas... overages are typically only designed when bonus money is involved. As far as I'm aware, it's a hard cap. Theoretically, they'd have to waive players?
If you got over the cap it's added to next year. I believe there's a certain number where a penalty of draft picks is applied but I'm not 100% sure what the threshold is.

Edit: ya everything I see is fines and draft pick penalties for any amount over cap. I'll have to look into it more I was under the impression you could go over but get penalized next season.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Teams know Vegas has no choice but to trade assets to reduce the cap to get to cap compliance. I don't see any team taking on that cap for a few picks for future considerations.

The point is to allow Dadonov to play in the NHL this season

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't even know when this happened. All of a sudden this year all the reporters are saying you can't play after the deadline... whoever came up with that concept should be asked why. It doesn't make sense for anyone that I can see?

The rule makes a metric ton of sense. Imagine with a week and 3 games left in the regular season:

- Team A is fighting for a playoff spot still or increasing their seeding.
- Team B didn’t sell at the deadline because they were fighting for a playoff spot but have since been elimated.

Whats stopping Team B from trading their desirable players now to Team A for that final playoff push even though the players can’t participate in the post season?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If you got over the cap it's added to next year. I believe there's a certain number where a penalty of draft picks is applied but I'm not 100% sure what the threshold is.

Edit: ya everything I see is fines and draft pick penalties for any amount over cap. I'll have to look into it more I was under the impression you could go over but get penalized next season.

Teams can only go over the cap due to performance bonuses, which carry over to the next season.

If a team is not cap compliant the league has many options, including:
- Fines
- Loss of draft picks
- Forfeiture of games

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If the league wants to take the ethical road here, they will shoot down any trades Vegas tries to make to clear their cap, and let them wait to fix their cap issues in the summer. Any roster player they move won’t be able to play till next season, that is not right.
That a really dumb idea.

There's no need for that type of cap relief. Vegas should not be rewarded like that for this escapade.

Reactions: MakoSlade

1021huss

Jan 26, 2010
So if Boston makes a trade for him they can’t play him till next season. If they sign someone they can play them in the playoffs.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

The "acceptable" overage is for players who have bonus money in their contract...

Let's say you're a capped out team with a high draft pick on an ELC that has theoretically maximum bonuses.

It wouldn't be fair to have to "allocate" close to $4m for him.... but then he hits the bonuses putting over the cap -- which is where the "pay for it next season come in".

LTIR was always invisioned as "guy gets hurt, we need to bring in somebody from AHL or other to replace him"; with again, the vision being that when he comes off LTIR, that replacement just goes away. Obviously, it has become much more complicated than that, but I do not believe the CBA has a provision to simply "carry that over".

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's still funny, IMO. If you mock others for the situation that they're in and, even 4.5 years later, you find yourself in the same situation, it doesn't look too good on you. In fairness, LA has taken some shots at Vegas, too, and the latter has had a lot more success in those 4.5 years.

The Kings stole their dumb idea of shiny helmets, so it looks like they got the last laugh after all.

Reactions: Osprey

Aug 3, 2010
It's a tough situation as a fan now, too.

On one hand I'd like to see the NHL allow an exception for Dadonov to be traded and be allowed to play out the season and postseason if the receiving team is in that position.

On the other hand I want to see a non-cap compliant team (Vegas in this case) to B U R N.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
With Brett Howden now out too, keeping Dadonov might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Ironically, he's building chemistry with Eichel about as well as anybody.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
The rule makes a metric ton of sense. Imagine with a week and 3 games left in the regular season:

- Team A is fighting for a playoff spot still or increasing their seeding.
- Team B didn’t sell at the deadline because they were fighting for a playoff spot but have since been elimated.

Whats stopping Team B from trading their desirable players now to Team A for that final playoff push even though the players can’t participate in the post season?
Makes sense when you put it that way. I guess my head always went to teams out of contention, but that's not actually the case.

Reactions: MakoSlade

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So if Boston makes a trade for him they can’t play him till next season. If they sign someone they can play them in the playoffs.
Boston doesn't have the cap space to trade for him, but if they did, he wouldn't be able to play until next season. If they sign someone, that player can play during the rest of this season, but NOT in the playoffs, unless that player was on their reserve list as of the trade deadline.

So if Boston were to sign John Beecher, for example, whom the drafted 30th overall in 2019, he would be eligible to play in the regular season and the playoffs because he was on Boston's reserve list at the trade deadline. If they signed some free agent out of Europe, that player would be able to play during the regular season, but not in the playoffs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It's a tough situation as a fan now, too.

On one hand I'd like to see the NHL allow an exception for Dadonov to be traded and be allowed to play out the season and postseason if the receiving team is in that position.

On the other hand I want to see a non-cap compliant team (Vegas in this case) to B U R N.

Best case scenario would be to not let any team know until the trade goes through. Once the trade is complete then the league can step in and give Dadanov an option/exception to play out the remainder of the season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Best case scenario would be to not let any team know until the trade goes through. Once the trade is complete then the league can step in and give Dadanov an option/exception to play out the remainder of the season.

Thats not going to happen.

Reactions: Mordoch

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
If Dadanov can’t play this year, does that mean he counts against the cap/23 man roster?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Are teams no longer able to make post deadline trades? They used to be able to with the caveat that dealt players would not be eligible for the playoffs.

In baseball you can be traded after the deadline with the caveat being you can't play in the post-season.

In the NHL you can be traded after the deadline but you can't play until the following season.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Dadonov, Brisson, 2nd rounds picks in 2022 and 2023 to Chicago for Andrew Shaw and Connor Murphy. Both Shaw and Murphy’s contracts move to LTIR.

Reactions: OTC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad