Seravalli: Vegas shopping Dadonov to other teams

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Are teams no longer able to make post deadline trades? They used to be able to with the caveat that dealt players would not be eligible for the playoffs.
Traded players can't play for the rest of the regular season either. UFAs signed post-deadline are allowed to play the rest of the regular season but not the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually think allowing Vegas to trade Dadonov and allowing him to play for the rest of the year is a completely reasonable call by the NHL.

I think the NHL scolding Ottawa for causing the confusion at the beginning and telling Vegas "your trade is voided, make another one now or you're out of luck" is a pretty reasonable outcome here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree that Dadonov shouldn't be punished, but they need to figure out for sure what happened in the Ottawa trade.

If there is evidence of a NTC then I don't think Dadonov should get special treatment and Vegas should be punished.

However, if they really didn't have it at the time of the trade than I can see an exception done so that Dadonov can play elsewhere.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
does it have to be dadonov ?

maybe its easier to move Smith who's on an expiring contract

I'm not fully aware of how desperate the situation is though .
Its probably pretty awkward with Dadonov now. It'd be hard to backtrack that.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I actually think allowing Vegas to trade Dadonov and allowing him to play for the rest of the year is a completely reasonable call by the NHL.

I think the NHL scolding Ottawa for causing the confusion at the beginning and telling Vegas "your trade is voided, make another one now or you're out of luck" is a pretty reasonable outcome here.
Lmao, if Vegas and Dadonov are getting these perks then Anaheim better damn well be getting something

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Vegas isn't getting any perk. They are free to trade him at any given time. Dadonov would be the only guy getting a perk.
If they're allowed to move them to another team that he can play for the rest of the year, they're giving them an extended market to make a move that legally they aren't support to be able to make now

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Why not just do the rest of the trade (2nd round pick for Kesler+Moore) and waive Dad? If someone before the Ducks takes him, oh well, if he falls to the Ducks, then Vegas is guaranteed that someone will take him. It would be a scummy move by Vegas, but not like that would stop them. Even if he can't play for Anaheim this season, Ducks can eat half his salary next year and move him out in the summer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why not just do the rest of the trade (2nd round pick for Kesler+Moore) and waive Dad? If someone before the Ducks takes him, oh well, if he falls to the Ducks, then Vegas is guaranteed that someone will take him. It would be a scummy move by Vegas, but not like that would stop them. Even if he can't play for Anaheim this season, Ducks can eat half his salary next year and move him out in the summer.
Personally I think if they did get him they'd be better off holding onto him. See if he can build his stock back up and move him at next year's deadline.

Reactions: Daz28

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why would any team want to help Vegas out of their cap hell by acquiring a player that can't even play for the rest of the year ? Vegas would need to give up significant assets
Honestly what playoff team would want him with an extra year? It's probably going to be a non-playoff team. So why not take at the very least a free 2nd rounder?

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Personally I think if they did get him they'd be better off holding onto him. See if he can build his stock back up and move him at next year's deadline.

This was under the assumption he wouldn't report to Anaheim or be sulking the whole time, sorry forgot to mention that. If he wants to play and is told he'll be moved by the deadline, that's great. But having a bad attitude in a young locker room would be less than ideal. It seems like he's more interested in money, so I doubt he'd sit out. The bad attitude thing is probably more likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad