Seravalli: Vegas shopping Dadonov to other teams

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Guessing they’ll just keep guys on LTIR to stay under the cap since you can just do that without any penalty.
It used to be that team doctors were shady because they'd sign off on injured players returning to play.

Nowadays team doctors are shady because they sign off on holding healthy players out of the lineup. I guess that's improvement?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The NHL and the NHLPA has to go back and collective bargain that rule change to where players can play regular season but not playoffs in a post deadline trade.

Not sure if that's a good idea but it could make for some interesting races down the stretch.

If in the last week a team is out by 2 points or something, do they waste assets on a trade for just 1 week in an attempt to get into the playoffs?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
So he could help a team make the playoffs but not play in them if they make it? I've never heard of that, has it happened before?
No. And also No, because it’s not allowed. @mouser posted a quote of NHL bylaws stating players who moved from one [Reserve List*] to another after the TDL were ineligible for the rest of the season. I, too, was skeptical of this so I did a little research and couldn’t find a single player who changed teams and then played in the NHL in the last decade. I feel like if this was actually a thing, someone would have done it.

*TMI The [Reserve List] is basically all players the team owns rights for. This includes signed players, RFAs, defected players, unsigned draft picks, retired players who would still be under contract, etc.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
No. And also No, because it’s not allowed. @mouser posted a quote of NHL bylaws stating players who moved from one [Reserve List*] to another after the TDL were ineligible for the rest of the season. I, too, was skeptical of this so I did a little research and couldn’t find a single player who changed teams and then played in the NHL in the last decade. I feel like if this was actually a thing, someone would have done it.

*TMI The [Reserve List] is basically all players the team owns rights for. This includes signed players, RFAs, defected players, unsigned draft picks, retired players who would still be under contract, etc.
Is this the Edmonton OIlers rule? To stop teams from having assets play in Europe and return for the playoffs like the Olers used to.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The rule makes a metric ton of sense. Imagine with a week and 3 games left in the regular season:

- Team A is fighting for a playoff spot still or increasing their seeding.
- Team B didn’t sell at the deadline because they were fighting for a playoff spot but have since been elimated.

Whats stopping Team B from trading their desirable players now to Team A for that final playoff push even though the players can’t participate in the post season?
Is this a new rule? When I googled it up, whatever source or sources I found said that the player traded after the trade deadline just couldn't play in the playoffs. Maybe the rule has been effect for some time, and I just didn't know about it.

Confusing, and thanks in advance for your reply.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this a new rule? When I googled it up, whatever source or sources I found said that the player traded after the trade deadline just couldn't play in the playoffs. Maybe the rule has been effect for some time, and I just didn't know about it.

Confusing, and thanks in advance for your reply.

This is an ancient rule, at least 40 years old, probably older.

The sources you've found are incorrect. UFA's who sign after the deadline are eligible for the rest of the regular season which is where the confusion probably comes from.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Nope that's something I guess people have gotten wrong for a while now. NHL bylaws say if you're traded post deadline you can't play at all until the next season.

There must have been a rule change at some point. I remember the odd trade between two non playoff teams where it was like a 14th forward for an 9th defenseman because one team had too many injuries on forward and one had too many injuries on D so they swapped depth for the last handful of games of the season.

I'm hearing that that is now not allowed. Must have been a change in the last CBA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Is this the Edmonton OIlers rule? To stop teams from having assets play in Europe and return for the playoffs like the Olers used to.

No, this rule is older then the Oilers 1980's shenanigans.

The rule created because of the Oilers is the rule that any UFA signing from Europe after a certain date of the season has to go through Waivers. E.g. Harri Sateri

Reactions: Price is Wright

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This is an ancient rule, at least 40 years old, probably older.

The sources you've found are incorrect. UFA's who sign after the deadline are eligible for the rest of the regular season which is where the confusion probably comes from.
OK, thanks.

Is that an UFA that will a UFA in the upcoming summer, or a current UFA?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad