Seravalli: Vegas Knights are now in the market for a big time top 6 forward and more ( Guentzel)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
NHL needs to change the rule that in the playoffs whatever players are in the lineup still need to be cap compliant as it would be in the regular season.
Don’t disagree but don’t know how. Considering the players’ salaries are paid for the regular season the cap doesn’t apply to the playoffs.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Don’t disagree but don’t know how. Considering the players’ salaries are paid for the regular season the cap doesn’t apply to the playoffs.
True, but whatever the salary cap is for the season as a total, then look at what each players salary is for the year and the total on the ice cannot exceed it.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The benefit of getting Guentzel is they can just put him on LTIR until the playoffs too and then go get another winger
If they pay a bit more, they could get both Smith and Guentzel from the Penguins. I would be willing to bet in a deal like that, the Pens would easily retain 50%.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
NHL needs to change the rule that in the playoffs whatever players are in the lineup still need to be cap compliant as it would be in the regular season.

They are cap compliant, because the players don't make money in the playoffs. Not withstanding things that are bargained for but not counted against the cap like a per diem.

That's what people don't understand.

If you ever played contact sports on a full schedule, you know that you're ALWAYS hurt in some way. People mistake the issue entirely. The issue is that the nature of players being hurt is that there are shades of grey that can be taken advantage of when it comes to timing injuries. Nobody says Kucherov can't push his surgery in the off season late enough that he won't return until the playoffs. Maybe Mark Stone or another player could return for the final few games of the regular season if they really wanted to, but they are still technically injured enough that with their previous diagnosis a doctor is not going to disagree with them remaining on LTIR until the first day of the playoffs.

The issue here is that the function of LTIR allows teams an avenue to fudge the numbers. With that said, a team needs to be extremely good already. They have to be good enough that they don't have to worry about not getting Mark Stone back for the last few games of the season, while still confidently being able to give up assets for a rental at the deadline. The only reason Vegas can do this is because they are a very strong team. If Jack Hughes went down, the Devils aren't going out and giving up 1st round picks for a centre in hopes of stacking up for the playoffs with LTIR, because they have no way of knowing if they will even make it.

This has happened more in recent years, but for the first 15 or so years of the cap, I only recall it happening once with the Blackhawks. Tampa did it one year, but they also lost Kucherov for the entire season, so it wasn't like there was no give and take to it. This is now the second time Vegas has done it, but like I have outlined in my post, it's not something that can be reasonably planned for and executed.

CrosbyStaalsAndNash

Apr 25, 2014
winnipeg
Honestly, I hate the knights but absolutely no one can blame them for doing this. This is 100% a league issue that I would have no idea how they could fix, but they should definitely be figuring out how to fix it.
implementing a rule that players coming off of LTIR or IR must be on the active roster for the final 1-3 games of the regular season to be eligible to play in the playoffs would be a way to ensure that teams are cap compliant prior to the start of the post season.

it's probably not that simple of a fix, but that's my smooth brained take on how to address this loophole.

Reactions: JJDrums

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
For the right price they can have both Jake and smith. They obviously can't resign Jake so there's a better shot he comes back in the off-season, works for me.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
If fans want to see this "cracked down on" then make it that the rule is, the team iced for any given game needs to be cap compliant.

Sure they can mix and match any of the guys they picked up while others were in ltir, but no team can ice a potentially 100 mil roster starting game one of the playoffs that way.

Reactions: Czechboy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Servalli just stating the obvious now that Eichel is on LTIR. NHL "insiders" race to the bottom for relevancy is such a joke.
Yeah it's funny how these "insiders" will just state things that folks on HF have been tossing around for a while and make it seem like breaking news.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Let me guess, Eichel and Stone are healthy for game one of the playoffs.
Sure hope so.

If fans want to see this "cracked down on" then make it that the rule is, the team iced for any given game needs to be cap compliant.

Sure they can mix and match any of the guys they picked up while others were in ltir, but no team can ice a potentially 100 mil roster starting game one of the playoffs that way.
sure they can.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Breaking! 21 Vegas players on IR following freak food poisoning at Taco Bell

Vegas now given permission to speak to the Harlem Globetrotters on an unprecedented interim deal. Stay tuned.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
For the right price they can have both Jake and smith. They obviously can't resign Jake so there's a better shot he comes back in the off-season, works for me.
I mean they can re-sign Jake.

They just have to let Marchy, Stephenson and Martinez all walk in the offseason. That is like 12 million off the cap right there. And with the cap rising, they could hypothethically afford a extension for him.

Whether it is a good idea to do that is a different story though.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
FS says they were window shopping even before the Mark Stone injury and now with the cap space opened from Stone and Eichel being on ltir, they are now 100% shopping for a legit top 6 help and also depth for the rest of the lineup.

Patrick Kane????

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Based on it being Seravelli, this probably means some other team is interested in Guentzel and Seravelli is being used to name drop Vegas to scare the team that's actually interested to raise their offer.

So who is that other team?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I had Guentzal going Canes.
But Knights are a good bet too.
They won't get what Dubas wants. He scored 40 goals once.......but he is no "40 goal scorer"
Ever since his injury he plays on the perimeter. Takes what the game and Sid gives him.
Hasn't had a good playoff series in years.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They won't get what Dubas wants. He scored 40 goals once.......but he is no "40 goal scorer"
Ever since his injury he plays on the perimeter. Takes what the game and Sid gives him.

Is that the injury in 19-20?

Side note, he’s hit 40 twice though

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Literally his last playoff appearance he had 8 goals and 2 assists in 7 games.
What is it with this website and people talking shit that isn't true?

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston and Turin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He's one of the best playoff performers in recent years. Oh and in his last playoff series he did some of that with Sid out with a concussion. He's the best player available this TDL. 34 goals in 58 playoff games and 8 goals in his last 7 post season games.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's one of the best playoff performers in recent years. Oh and in his last playoff series he did some of that with Sid out with a concussion. He's the best player available this TDL. 34 goals in 58 playoff games and 8 goals in his last 7 post season games.
I stand corrected on his last play off series . Where missed a game and half with concusion but put up 9 or 10 point....Guentzal has sucked this season and last season. Eye test watching games. imo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I stand corrected on his last play off series . Where missed a game and half with concusion but put up 9 or 10 point....Guentzal has sucked this season and last season. Eye test watching games. imo
What? He's been our best forward behind Sid this season and no one is even close. He's over a point per game. I think he's had a solid year. Very consistent and visible most night. But to each their own.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad