Seravalli: Vegas Knights are now in the market for a big time top 6 forward and more ( Guentzel)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
When exactly do you think playoffs go til?
I'm saying a regular season return would be completely out of the question, so him lacing up for the playoffs would be a rushed return in itself. Finals started in June last year.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I mean I think the whole thing is sketchy but not illegal so who gives a shit, right?

You know, I feel two ways about that, but They kind of merge back to a single point….

The sketchy nature of it looks far less reproachable when Eichel’s surgery - predating all of this - is factored in. One could argue that realizing Nic Roy could slot in for Eichel short-term made them more amenable to letting Eichel ready up for postseason play, but they both have an injury history, making the situation beyond plausible.

Some people see a team skirting rules to load up; I see a team missing a 3rd of the top-6 right now trying to go deep again, functioning within the boundaries of league rules.

Shit, if the Oilers or Avs wound up with this opportunity, the worst I could say is “there goes another rubber tree.” When Tampa did it, I was more entertained by the resulting furor than plaintive over it.

It’ll likely require a playoff season with 3 or 4 teams making mega-rosters for the league to clamp down.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Oh “potency of narrative”. Good one.

And I’m sure back injuries are connected to spleen injuries.

I didn’t speak on Eichel cause I havent looked into the f***ery potential on that one yet. But I wouldn’t be surprised if an injury in which he came back the same game and scored a goal in, then was classed “week to week”, then classed LTIR doesn’t have Eichel coming back to playoffs day 1 as well.

But with the alleged Stone spleen injury, there’s a boatload of potential for cap f***ery to be going on.

Yeh it’s just “saltiness” to expect that sport be an even playing ground. That’s all everyone wants here, just a fair shot.

Somehow, that was even saltier. Can’t you take this back to the kitchen; I don’t fall for that Himalayan pink salt stuff…..

Jokes aside, the league already investigated Vegas’ medical staff decisions before - no wrongdoing found. The buck stops specifically - for me, anyway - with Eichel already needing surgery. Beyond that, I’d not retract my stance until the NHL investigated Stone’s injury and had ample cause to call shenanigans…..a move precluded by the injury history he and Eichel already have.

It isn’t that I don’t desire an even playing ground; as much as it already is one. Any playoff team with late-season injuries has this option so long as they have the assets to trade. At the end of the day, it’s as hard for me to separate the accusations of malicious intent from perspectives that come off more like those accusing voicing envy that their team’s legal tank didn’t pick the strategy out of the pile first as it is for others to not immediately land on the phrase “filthy cheating bastards” when someone says “VGK” in a game of word association.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Somehow, that was even saltier. Can’t you take this back to the kitchen; I don’t fall for that Himalayan pink salt stuff…..

Jokes aside, the league already investigated Vegas’ medical staff decisions before - no wrongdoing found. The buck stops specifically - for me, anyway - with Eichel already needing surgery. Beyond that, I’d not retract my stance until the NHL investigated Stone’s injury and had ample cause to call shenanigans…..a move precluded by the injury history he and Eichel already have.

It isn’t that I don’t desire an even playing ground; as much as it already is one. Any playoff team with late-season injuries has this option so long as they have the assets to trade. At the end of the day, it’s as hard for me to separate the accusations of malicious intent from perspectives that come off more like those accusing voicing envy that their team’s legal tank didn’t pick the strategy out of the pile first as it is for others to not immediately land on the phrase “filthy cheating bastards” when someone says “VGK” in a game of word association.

Name calling aside let’s try to have this debate without having to characterize people as just “salty” for a cheap “joke”.

This incompetent league can barely get its own on-ice rules right, let alone off ice, and they’ve already allowed legal loopholes in the past that they then had to retroactively punish and backtrack from. See Minnesota cap punishments for example. So sorry if I don’t have much trust in the competence of this League to police cap cheating. They have not earned that by reputation and recent history alone.

I mean of course for you the buck stops at whatever is advantageous to your team. Don’t even know why I’m debating with a clear bias here. It’s essentially pointless. Especially since you use such “strong” arguments as “injury history” precluding these most recent injuries as if that has any relevance. As if Neck injuries have any thing to do with leg injuries, and as if back injuries have anything to do with spleen injuries. If that’s the best mental gymnastics you have to defend this, then the debate is already over.

Let’s be honest, for as much as you say that this “strategy” is open to all teams that doesn’t mean that every team has the ability to do this. Some teams admittedly can’t risk 10M-20M off their cap. What about wild card teams fighting for their playoff lives? What about revenue strapped teams that can’t risk a star player being out of the picture? What about teams with HONORABLE players that just plain won’t risk their sportsmanship or credibility by faking an injury for cap cheating? What about teams with Stars in Contract years that won’t risk future earnings for this cap cheating scheme by sitting out for a 3rd of the year and giving themselves a fake injury history on their record?

So essentially you’re boiling this down to just sour grapes. As if there aren’t fans of SPORT that just want to all see a fair game played. Last i heard in sport that’s the bare minimum requirement for any sport to be even relevant and not some side show, scripted act like the WWE.

Last edited:
Reactions: dustybreaks

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Name calling aside let’s try to have this debate without having to characterize people as just “salty” for a cheap “joke”.

This incompetent league can barely get its own on-ice rules right, let alone off ice, and they’ve already allowed legal loopholes in the past that they then had to retroactively punish and backtrack from. See Minnesota cap punishments for example. So sorry if I don’t have much trust in the competence of this League to police cap cheating. They have not earned that by reputation and recent history alone.

I mean of course for you the buck stops at whatever is advantageous to your team. Don’t even know why I’m debating with a clear bias here. It’s essentially pointless. Especially since you use such “strong” arguments as “injury history” precluding these most recent injuries as if that has any relevance. As if Neck injuries have any thing to do with leg injuries, and as if back injuries have anything to do with spleen injuries. If that’s the best mental gymnastics you have to defend this, then the debate is already over.

Let’s be honest, for as much as you say that this “strategy” is open to all teams that doesn’t mean that every team has the ability to do this. Some teams admittedly can’t risk 10M-20M off their cap. What about wild card teams fighting for their playoff lives? What about revenue strapped teams that can’t risk a star player being out of the picture? What about teams with HONORABLE players that just plain won’t risk their sportsmanship or credibility by faking an injury for cap cheating? What about teams with Stars in Contract years that won’t risk future earnings for this cap cheating scheme by sitting out for a 3rd of the year?

So essentially you’re boiling this down to just sour grapes. As if there aren’t fans of SPORT that just want to all see a fair game played.

Look elsewhere in the thread.

I already said that I’d have no grounds to complain should my team lose to another that did the same. I don’t need to prove to you or anyone else that my stance is less about bias or what you suggest is sour grapes, but you can find the post where I stated that, if you wish. My response to Tampa Bay in this was even more about enjoying popcorn while taking in the debate.

That said, once we cross into suggesting that players leave honour at home because of the sweater they put on, that’s where I crack a few jokes not intended to name-call, but to point out that any bias that raw is just the opposite number of where mine is *assumed* to be. If my bias lies anywhere, it’s *there*, where any non-neutrality I represent recalls that the Knights have been investigated, the league satisfied, and assertions of malfeasance/lack of honour presume beyond what we, on a hockey forum, can accurately determine.

Call me biased if you like, but seeing as I didn’t go drinking in Denver the day of the Cup parade getting jumped for pushing a narrative that the blue line needs to be widened to stop them from getting narrowly-offsides plays accepted as goals, I know where I stand. As soon as the league figures out where it stands on this issue and ends the practice, great. Until then, I’m looking at a roster missing 1/3 of the top-6 doing something that not only isn’t exclusive to them alone, involves players who have been under the knife repeatedly over the last 3 seasons, and loads of overlap between those complaining about this and fans of other teams with a pointed dislike for Vegas.

Should the league intervene and penalize, it becomes something different. Until then, teams tank, teams reward shitty behaviour, teams burn coaches in effigy and bury kids for not being “cadre” enough for their liking. Teams exploit things all the time - Tampa? Drafting & cap. Colorado, speed. Vegas, cash, cap and chemistry. Edmonton, phenom power.

I’m not saying that this shouldn’t change. (Besides - please take this last part lightheartedly - I’m only as biased *for* proportionately to those biased *against.* As such, I’ll always point out where presumption can easily jump the shark if I feel the need. The last few days confirm that a number of posters have it out for the Knights - some even willing to question their honour. Like any fan supporting their team, I’ll defend “my guys,” just as earlier, pointing out that injuries late in a season ≠ deliberate cap circumvention.)

How many man-games did they lose year before last…..something like 535? It’s harder for me to believe that they’re not going to get injured as hell with largely the same roster…..sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I’m just riffing while relaxing for the day…..but it technically cannot be a bias if I had the exact same attitude about Tampa and Dallas (I think it was?) landing over the cap come playoff time.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Yo kucherov put up points but if you watched the playoffs he barely skated he looked like he was playing injured 100 percent.

He is just good enough playing on one leg he was still a monster.

Not buying what you're selling. You're trying to tell me the guy is soooo good he couldn't skate yet won the scoring race by a margin of 50% over Brayden Point. 32 points to 23. Came in second in MVP voting. All on 1 leg. Seriously who would believe this?

All why I was watching the playoffs. Not a single f***ing commentator made a remark about how slow he is now. They were all drooling over his play... because he was awesome.

This is the bull f***ing shit I get a kick out of from fans.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
LTIR needs to be a season-ending designation. Anyone put on LTIR should be ineligible to return until the following season.
That would require a major change to the Injured Reserved rules. That being the case, a guy would just go on IR and not LTIR.

Teams have to be able to manage around injuries. 99.99% of the time, this isn't an issue.

The one change that could actually make the difference is - that the team you ICE in the playoffs must be cap-compliant. The roster can be over but the on-ice team must be compliant.

Reactions: captainpaxil

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't understand. Other BLues fans or more accurately Pietrangelo fans have assured me that if we still had Pietrangelo we wouldn't have LD issues. How can you possibly need LD if you have Pietrangelo?

Huh? Petro plays the right side. Martinez is a UFA this summer and isn't really cut out for top pair duties anymore. He's the one that needs replacing.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Huh? Petro plays the right side. Martinez is a UFA this summer and isn't really cut out for top pair duties anymore. He's the one that needs replacing.

You missed the hateful sarcasm dripping from my post. I've been fighting with fanboys ever since Vegas signed him that even if we did have him our defense would still suck because our left side is weak as f***. The fanboys some how think he would fix our left side because he's so good you can pair him with any random and he turns them into top pairing LD.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Does Vegas have the assets to get an signed Hanifin.

Vegas doesn't need to trade for a signed Hanifin. They can either pay the rental price akin to a 1st+Cormier/Miromanov or just wait til the summer. D isn't an immediate need like a wing is.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Vegas doesn't need to trade for a signed Hanifin. They can either pay the rental price akin to a 1st+Cormier/Miromanov or just wait til the summer. D isn't an immediate need like a wing is.
Right you need Jake! What will you part with for the most sought after player this TDL?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jake Guentzel has 34g 24A in 58 playoff games, that's incredible!

His last playoff series he had 8 goals in 7 games, And Sid missed a couple games.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Right you need Jake! What will you part with for the most sought after player this TDL?

Vegas doesn't really do rentals and probably don't have room for a Guentzel extension so I don't think they'll be in on him personally. Maybe a cheaper rental like Tarasenko.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
NHL needs to change the rule that in the playoffs whatever players are in the lineup still need to be cap compliant as it would be in the regular season.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not buying what you're selling. You're trying to tell me the guy is soooo good he couldn't skate yet won the scoring race by a margin of 50% over Brayden Point. 32 points to 23. Came in second in MVP voting. All on 1 leg. Seriously who would believe this?

All why I was watching the playoffs. Not a single f***ing commentator made a remark about how slow he is now. They were all drooling over his play... because he was awesome.

This is the bull f***ing shit I get a kick out of from fans.
Drai has put up like 30 points in 3 rounds on 1 leg the past two playoffs so yeah he is that good as well. Go watch him basically walk around the ice lol

(Drai is just more proof it can be done but yeah kucherov is good enough to lead the playoffs on one leg if the Oilers aren't playing

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins have made it clear that all non-core players on their roster could be available -- and not just looking for future assets, but hockey trades too (though those are typically easier over the summer). Veteran Reilly Smith hasn't had the smoothest transition in Pittsburgh, but there's increasing league-wide interest in the veteran forward, who won a Stanley Cup last season with the Golden Knights. Two of Smith's former teams, Vegas and Florida, could be fits -- as could the Hurricanes.

I don't know how the cap would work with Smith back to Vegas, though. The Penguins are not allowed to trade Smith back to Vegas with salary retention, so they'd have to be absorbing his entire $5 million cap hit.

If Stone is out for the rest of the regular season, it would work then, but Smith's also signed for next year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad