Vegas Hires Five New Staffers

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In his defense, the Devils were usually picking in the back of the pack and some of those years were just duds in general (looking at you 2001). The recent drafts are looking a bit better, but not getting much from 2005-2010 was a huge root cause of the Devils being out of it since 2013.

I hope Conte does well if he does end up in Vegas.

2015 and 2003 notwithstanding, the Sharks usually are picking in the last third of a round. Yet they have one of the highest draftee/games played ratio in the league. (Yes, they have had some clunkers too, including a couple of 1st rounders that were busts.)

And some of their best players drafted in the franchise have been late rounds. (Nabokov, Pavelski for two)

Where a scouting staff gets its props is in the 3rd-7th rounds and what undrafted players they acquire/sign.

It's not only in identifying players well, but properly developing them.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Well Iirc the scouts don't really oversee development. There's a separate department and AHL coaching for that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh I'm sure he'll find better work eventually. Maloney was just my most hoped for choice. If I remember correctly Burke spent some time back with Anaheim after Toronto as a pro scout before taking the Calgary job.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
Conte is a good dude, his knock is he favors grit and a 2 way game over skill early in drafts.

Can confirm. He has good instincts, and a great eye for players hovering just outside the radar that were important pieces in every Cup team; albeit his field is evaluating wildly unpredictable teenage hockey players primarily and he was a lieutenant of Lou so the knocks will be what they will be.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
He's been running the Calgary Hitmen (WHL) here for something like 18 years.

I'm really surprised the Flames couldn't find a place for him in their NHL front office.

How do you think about Kent Hawley who was with the Oilers?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
How do you think about Kent Hawley who was with the Oilers?

I don't know much about him but judging by his Elite Prospects staff profile his coaching and scouting experience should be a real asset to the new team.

Experience at different levels of the hockey world seems to be one thing the Vegas leadership seems to be looking for and they're getting a lot of it.

It's a smart move for the Vegas market.

Edit: In saying this, however, we have to keep in mind the drafting record of Hawley's previous organization. For a supposedly rebuilding team the Oilers have had terrible results once they've moved past the first round. I would have concerns about anyone who has scouted for Edmonton in recent years.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Big fan of this hire for y'all. Head scout of Rouyn-Noranda built an incredible team that went to the Memorial Cup almost entirely on drafted players. McKrimmon was impressed enough to hire him to scout for Las Vegas. No doubt your scouting in the Q will be strong.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Big fan of this hire for y'all. Head scout of Rouyn-Noranda built an incredible team that went to the Memorial Cup almost entirely on drafted players. McKrimmon was impressed enough to hire him to scout for Las Vegas. No doubt your scouting in the Q will be strong.

I'm not that good with the tweety stuff - What's his name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad