*VEGAS Golden Knights*

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
The whole "las" means "the" argument really doesn't hold merit.

Referring to the team as "the Las Vegas Golden Knights" would not be the same as saying "the The Meadows Golden Knights". The translation doesn't change the name of the city. That's not how proper nouns work.
In English, "the" is a throwaway word, hence why it's usually not capitalized even in proper nouns. I think the name should be LV, but I can understand why they chose "Vegas". Yet, on the other side of the coin, it's impossible for a NYC team to be called "York" or a New Mexico team to be "Mexico". "York Yankees" sounds more poetic without the "New", but it's simply a non-starter. Nobody ever refers to NYC as "York City" or "York".

member 151739

In English, "the" is a throwaway word, hence why it's usually not capitalized even in proper nouns. I think the name should be LV, but I can understand why they chose "Vegas". Yet, on the other side of the coin, it's impossible for a NYC team to be called "York" or a New Mexico team to be "Mexico". "York Yankees" sounds more poetic without the "New", but it's simply a non-starter. Nobody ever refers to NYC as "York City" or "York".

Choosing Vegas over Las Vegas is catering to the tourists who flock to the city while also embracing the decadence. "Vegas" is essentially the Strip, and it's where tourists party and gamble. Las Vegas is our city. You can see why some of us are rather peeved.

So yes, I can understand why they chose Vegas too. But it doesn't mean it was right.

(Talking to another Las Vegan and saying "Vegas" is much different than what I'm talking about.)

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
"Vegas" is essentially the Strip

And the arena is on the Strip, so at least that fits.

I've only been to LV a few times myself, thought about moving there when my uncle (an executive at MGM) offered me a job, but I decided against it. That side of my family uses "Vegas" for shorthand all the time, so I'm guessing it's only offensive depending on context?

Here in NJ, "Jersey" is very common and never offensive. "Joisey", on the other hand, is always offensive.

member 151739

And the arena is on the Strip, so at least that fits.

I am talking about the idea of this city and the Strip, not a location. But yes. It is physically on the Strip.

I think the "Joisey" analogy is a good one.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
When the name was announced I didn't think dropping "Las" was a big deal but the more I think about it and the more I see the overwhelming reaction the more it is apparent that it was a mistake.

Reminds me of people from San Francisco getting pissed when people call their city "Frisco." That is a big no-no there.

Foley accidentally switch around the "locals say Vegas, tourist say Las Vegas" thing. Hopefully the Las gets added soon. The team needs to represent the locals not the tourist.

Have to wonder why none of the locals that are part of management like the Maloofs (who've been doing business in Las Vegas for decades) didn't speak out. Perhaps they did and Foley just wants "Vegas."

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Maybe using "Just Vegas" for the local approval was an excuse. The name is too long. Most double word cities have simpler team names. Even the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was shorten to Tampa Bay Rays. Unfortunately the knight is overused.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Maybe using "Just Vegas" for the local approval was an excuse. The name is too long. Most double word cities have simpler team names. Even the Tampa Bay Devil Rays was shorten to Tampa Bay Rays. Unfortunately the knight is overused.

Las Vegas Golden Knights is one syllable shorter than Philadelphia Flyers.

Just saying.:)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Las Vegas Golden Knights of Paradise

Vegas Gold in Paradise

BTW some weeks ago we talked about "Vegas" and "Las Vegas" and the great letter "V". I really love this V, at least this was in my favor, but "Golden" knights bothers me, I could live with "Gold" only.

Edit: Gold, the song from Spandau Ballet would be a nice goal music, not that I like it much but it match the name.
We won't score goals, only make GOLD.

Last edited:

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
When the name was announced I didn't think dropping "Las" was a big deal but the more I think about it and the more I see the overwhelming reaction the more it is apparent that it was a mistake.

Reminds me of people from San Francisco getting pissed when people call their city "Frisco." That is a big no-no there.

Foley accidentally switch around the "locals say Vegas, tourist say Las Vegas" thing. Hopefully the Las gets added soon. The team needs to represent the locals not the tourist.

Have to wonder why none of the locals that are part of management like the Maloofs (who've been doing business in Las Vegas for decades) didn't speak out. Perhaps they did and Foley just wants "Vegas."

I think this is the best comparison so far. If a Foley brought a new team to San Francisco and named them the Frisco Golden Knights there would be hell to pay.

But at least Golden would make a hell of a lot more sense.

BadFella

Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Las Vegas Golden Knights is one syllable shorter than Philadelphia Flyers.

Just saying.:)

I don't live far from Philly and I never hear someone say the full name of any of their teams. It's either "Philly", "The Flyers", or "Philadelphia", because of how long it is.

Miami Heat? Sure. New York Rangers, absolutely... but Phil-a-del-phi-a Se-ven-ty-six-ers? Never. (Hell, not to dwell on basketball, but even the 76ers name has too many syllables. Locals always call them the Sixers.)

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

then let "Vegas Knights" be the slang term.

Officially, and in the standings, they should be listed as the Las Vegas Golden Knights, or simply "Las Vegas."

...because that's what professional teams do

The city and team name isn't just for the locals, it's for the entire league and their fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad