Vanek renewed interest?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Vanek resigning was discussed back in February and the intention of acquiring a veteran D since late March. Not really big news. Holland had reasons in his mind for how poor the Wings played. He said he wanted to compete for a playoff spot next season and we knew he would probably try to strengthen the team with veterans instead of rushing prospects. The speculation this spring was Wideman, Daley, Alzner so the talk of possible D the Wings are targeting is a new twist.

I fantasize about the idea of the organization embracing an authentic rebuild but the sober reality is Holland has stated time again the Red Wings are attempting to rebuild on the fly while remaining competitive (better known as purgatory lol). Missing the PO's very little has changed in our approach. This feels exactly like the last 5 years IMO.

As far as which veteran castaway we pick up on defense or forward I don't know at the moment. I knew the talk was coming and tried to prepare myself but it's still shocking. Henkka said it as well Kronwall's injury must be a part of our desperation. Crazy times as a Wings fan.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Vanek was one of the better players last season before injury. Flopped in Florida but due to injury as well. I wouldn't oppose a return to Motown so long as the salary wasn't what he'd desire. He holds little to no tangible value other than providing another veteran presence on the squad.

Yuck. You'd rather watch his slow tired ass than Svechnikov? I don't want Doan, Iginla, Campbell, Jagr, any player over 30 at this stage is preposterous. 8 years ago to get Vanek sure! But not now please Holland...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yuck. You'd rather watch his slow tired ass than Svechnikov? I don't want Doan, Iginla, Campbell, Jagr, any player over 30 at this stage is preposterous. 8 years ago to get Vanek sure! But not now please Holland...

Lol who is Svechnikov gonna replace in the top 9?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I like Vanek and enjoyed him on the Wings, sheltered minutes and all, but he really is not the direction the wings need to be going right now. Only way I'd be happy with it is if we unload one of our wingers (and whatever else is needed) for some D depth. Then I wouldn't mind him on a short term deal. Even then though, his stat line in Florida wasn't pretty. Doubt we get more than a third again

Ansar Khan†@AnsarKhanMLive 7m7 minutes ago

#RedWings look to sign a FA D-man or 2 starting Saturday. Dan Girardi, Trevor Daley, Brian Campbell, Ron Hainsey among names on their list.

#RedWings would also like to sign a FA forward but don't think they'll have cap space after they address the defense.

Is this a f***ing joke?

Really, Kenny? The ONLY way adding players of their age is if they're one year deals to flip, but even then, were blocking development of some of our AHL guys who deserve a spot. If we're going to bury them, at least bury them for people who will be around for more than a year.

Last edited:

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
I would genuinely prefer Dylan Mccalrath to Giradi at this point.

Both can't skate anymore, but Dylan is at least young, huge, and mean.

I just don't get his infatuation with veterans. If you're going to add someone, at least add someone like Kulikov who isn't one foot out of the league already

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is this a f***ing joke?

Really, Kenny? The ONLY way adding players of their age is if they're one year deals to flip, but even then, were blocking development of some of our AHL guys who deserve a spot. If we're going to bury them, at least bury them for people who will be around for more than a year.
Who? Who could we be blocking? Who are these AHL guys that deserve spots?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Helm, Abdelkader, Sheahan...just for starters. Svech has more upside than all 3 of them, currently. Kid has great hands, good size, and decent enough speed.

Riiiiight. They're gonna put captain abdelkader on the fourth line. Helm? Doubt it. Sheahan? Depends on preseason.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017

You seriously wouldn't want to see what Russo, Hicketts, or VS could do for 30ish games each this season opposed to a close to 40 Brian Campbell? Even if he is mildly better at this stage, this team is not going to be good for a long time, and the trade value for all of those guys will probably be a 4th rounder at most.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather take a roll with the young guys.

If we do go UFA route, I'd rather try a young guy like Kulikov opposed to Dan "I literally cannot skate anymore" Giradi

Last edited:

Nat006

Jun 27, 2016
guys, I'm having trouble figuring out how Kenny could even sign a UFA D man given after we sign our RFA's we have zero cap space???

Help me out........

Is he planning on putting Kronwall on LTIR?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You seriously wouldn't want to see what Russo, Hicketts, or VS could do for 30ish games each this season opposed to a close to 40 Brian Campbell? Even if he is mildly better at this stage, this team is not going to be good for a long time, and the trade value for all of those guys will probably be a 4th rounder at most.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather take a roll with the young guys.

If we do go UFA route, I'd rather try a young guy like Kulikov opposed to Dan "I literally cannot skate anymore" Giradi
Those guys can still get call-ups. I sincerely doubt VS is ready, Hicketts probably needs more time too. Russo is kinda whatever, he didn't look like an upgrade over anyone last year. Kronner/E/Green aren't going to stay healthy, Sproul is already scheduled to miss time as well I believe. Plenty of room for callups.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Russo is kinda whatever, he didn't look like an upgrade over anyone last year.

And yet, still infinitely better in every conceivable way for this team, now and in the future, than Dan Girardi/Brian Campbell would be on any contract, let alone the KH-multi-year-special. But hey, if you really think this is the way the team gets competitive again, more power to you.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And yet, still infinitely better in every conceivable way for this team, now and in the future, than Dan Girardi/Brian Campbell would be on any contract, let alone the KH-multi-year-special. But hey, if you really think this is the way the team gets competitive again, more power to you.
Infinitely better? Exaggeration. And I really like Russo and overall I'm way more optimistic about our young D than most others.

The team becomes competitive through the draft, signing a free agent does not change that. I'd wait with the outrage and sky-is-falling attitude until we actually see if Kenny's interest turns into anything. If he's not kicking tires checking what's out there he's not doing his job.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Infinitely better? Exaggeration. And I really like Russo and overall I'm way more optimistic about our young D than most others.

The team becomes competitive through the draft, signing a free agent does not change that. I'd wait with the outrage and sky-is-falling attitude until we actually see if Kenny's interest turns into anything. If he's not kicking tires checking what's out there he's not doing his job.

Of course it was exaggeration, but not by much, and it doesn't change that Russo is more useful and valuable playing on the third pairing than any of the crap KH is looking at. Further, he doesn't come at a high salary or a grossly long-term commitment. Kicking tires is fine, since it's apparently what gives KH joy in life, but he should immediately cease all kicking the instant a guy asks for more than 1 year on a movable contract.

Signing TDL fodder is the only way FA helps this team.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Signing free agents will fill holes in the lineup but won't make them credible contenders any time soon.

They're opening a new arena on the heels of missing the playoffs for the first time in a quarter century. I'd feel better of this team had a true direction rather than signing some mid 30s vets well past their most effective years.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Signing free agents will fill holes in the lineup but won't make them credible contenders any time soon.

They're opening a new arena on the heels of missing the playoffs for the second time in a quarter century. I'd feel better of this team had a true direction rather than signing some mid 30s vets well past their most effective years.

fixed, but yes, I agree with your statement as well.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Russo is the only, but borderline one. He regressed already at last season, for one reason or another.

Paetsch - Hicketts
Lashoff- Russo
Renouf - McIlrath

These are those blocked "prospects" which did play the Calder Cup for Griffins.

Could se Lashoff and McIlrath leaving and than opens a spot for Hronek and and somebody else at Griffins. Hicketts is definitely not NHL-ready. So no one is blocked.

Could Cholowski join them?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Might as well bring him aboard for the fans to see a few goals. Nothing this team does is going to matter until Holland is gone so might as well prioritize goals and anything to generate excitement.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Might as well bring him aboard for the fans to see a few goals. Nothing this team does is going to matter until Holland is gone so might as well prioritize goals and anything to generate excitement.

Watching Holland bottom-fishing is a sad day for the Wings.

Seriously, what future for this franchise includes him at this point ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad