Vancouver Sports Media Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Do we know any of this, or this just speculation from the usual corners?

Barry MacDonald has been a long-time fixture in sports media here, and with good reason. It's not an accident that he's known as "The Dean." He's easily the best Sports Journalist in town (even Matt Sekeres would agree), and using him in a format that makes sense would be an easy win for either station. Or he'd be an obvious TV fit, for a few different places, if he wanted (and let us not forget that he has been a frequent contributor to SN there, too).

As far as I'm aware, BMac hasn't disclosed the reasons for his absence. Which makes it none of anyone else's business. He disclosed the personal struggles behind a previous absence only to provide reassurance to others on similar paths. Let's respect his privacy this time, and wish him well. Someone a few posts back suggested that he might be back closer to the end of July. I, personally, sure hope that's accurate.
Pretty much this. Exactly this.

Bmac is garbage. It is known.
It's known is it. Weird. Because he is one of the finest human beings I know.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I have had to edit some speculation about the reasons for Barry MacDonald's absence.

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
If everyone on this message board posted even close to as good as Barry MacDonald did his job, hoo boy would it be a better place.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
BMac himself opened up about his depression on air multiple times. I don't think it's a stretch to guess that he is going through a bout right now considering the last two times he missed several months , depression was the cause.

I'm not sure about him being one of the finest humans around but he's a pretty nice guy and funny as hell. He threw a pretty good curve ball back in the day too. Christ I'm getting old ...... Mundy Park days....

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
I'll second Chairman Maouth on this. You have no clue.

B-Mac is a super guy. I've golfed with him. He is very funny, and sorely missed on the afternoon show.

Also, Brooke Ward and Botch on 1040 this morning! No pratt or blo jake...isn't it odd that the guest hosts are always better than the mainstays?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
B-Mac is a super guy. I've golfed with him. He is very funny, and sorely missed on the afternoon show.

Also, Brooke Ward and Botch on 1040 this morning! No pratt or blo jake...isn't it odd that the guest hosts are always better than the mainstays?

I agree 110%! What's up with that station, when the keep on Bro Jake and Pratt? Are they trying to drive their few remaining fans away?

MoeLemay14

Feb 19, 2015
He contributes to the stupidity of the afternoon show

Profoundly disagree.

The format of the afternoon show is problematic on a number of levels, the foremost of which is the three+ person panel model, which doesn't work well at the best of times, and works especially awkwardly on the radio. Ironically, Donnie himself has been a very vocal critic of 3 person (or more) pannels for years. He understandably doesn't comment on it as much publicly, now that he's been parked on one, but it's hard to imagine his stance has softened.

BMac is the host, so its his job to support the other guys, and, unenviably, to try to do what he can to make this unwieldy thing he has been given, work somehow. One of the best and most obvious indicators of his significant talent, is how much worse the show is without him, and how WAY BETTER it is with him and just either one of the other guys. The difference between Moj with, and with and without BMac is night and day.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm sure Bmac is a lovely guy when he's not hanging his coworkers and employer out to dry with his prolonged absences. But his work is trash and he's another SportsPage guy who has not had an interesting opinion about hockey in at least 20 years. Legacy sports media in Vancouver is unlistenable/unreadable in large part because this generation of hacks will not go away.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Profoundly disagree.

The format of the afternoon show is problematic on a number of levels, the foremost of which is the three+ person panel model, which doesn't work well at the best of times, and works especially awkwardly on the radio. Ironically, Donnie himself has been a very vocal critic of 3 person (or more) pannels for years. He understandably doesn't comment on it as much publicly, now that he's been parked on one, but it's hard to imagine his stance has softened.

BMac is the host, so its his job to support the other guys, and, unenviably, to try to do what he can to make this unwieldy thing he has been given, work somehow. One of the best and most obvious indicators of his significant talent, is how much worse the show is without him, and how WAY BETTER it is with him and just either one of the other guys. The difference between Moj with, and with and without BMac is night and day.

The only problem with that logic is that the show had fallen off long before Moj came into play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure Bmac is a lovely guy when he's not hanging his coworkers and employer out to dry with his prolonged absences. But his work is trash and he's another SportsPage guy who has not had an interesting opinion about hockey in at least 20 years. Legacy sports media in Vancouver is unlistenable/unreadable in large part because this generation of hacks will not go away.

Agreed completely.

All the best to him with his personal stuff ... but he's a lousy, vanilla, out-of-touch media guy who was irrelevant already a decade ago. Which describes over half of the media in this market, and pretty much 90% of the guys on the radio.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Agreed completely.

All the best to him with his personal stuff ... but he's a lousy, vanilla, out-of-touch media guy who was irrelevant already a decade ago. Which describes over half of the media in this market, and pretty much 90% of the guys on the radio.

I guess I'd be lying if I said I don't get where your coming from, but in a way I find him a little refreshing.

I've about had it with "hot takes" and feigned outrage.

MoeLemay14

Feb 19, 2015
The only problem with that logic is that the show had fallen off long before Moj came into play.

Reread, perhaps? I didn't say at all, or remotely even suggest that the show was fantastic before Moj. So that doesn't actually follow.

Even if it wasn't great, it was still *better* before the pannel, though. And that was BMac's doing. Ever listen to him when he was on his own on the Mid-day show? He was great! The whole show would be great interviews and thoughtful analysis. Anyone remember the end of Pratt and Taylor? Cause if you do, you still have nightmares about bike lanes and TDM's everything wine promo spots. Pleeeeenty of "vanilla content" there. But no Bmac.

So maybe (just maybe) 1040's long-standing mandate is to have mass market (vanilla) content in the drive slot. And maybe one (maybe more!) of the guys who have been directed to do that aren't ideally suited to that, but are just trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe their hearts aren't in it. Maybe they would have been much better used in other, better, what we would call "more listenable" formats. And maybe the station hasn't cared, because they haven't had to. (And I guess, maybe, they were even sorta right, cause a lot of us clearly still listen, at least sometimes, despite our *****ing - me very much included.

Barry is an immensely talented journalist and broadcaster, and has contributed more to sports media here over those very "decades" than just about anyone. All of this is painfully obvious to anyone who is actually watched and listened to him over that time. You may not like the afternoon show (now, in its last incarnation, or even the one before that), and that's totally fair. Would sports media here be more enjoyable to most of us with the addition of some new and some younger talent? Absolutely. Are those things mutually exclusive? Hell to the no. There are a whole huge pile of other changes that can and should be made, to bring that about.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Reread, perhaps? I didn't say at all, or remotely even suggest that the show was fantastic before Moj. So that doesn't actually follow.

Even if it wasn't great, it was still *better* before the pannel, though. And that was BMac's doing. Ever listen to him when he was on his own on the Mid-day show? He was great! The whole show would be great interviews and thoughtful analysis. Anyone remember the end of Pratt and Taylor? Cause if you do, you still have nightmares about bike lanes and TDM's everything wine promo spots. Pleeeeenty of "vanilla content" there. But no Bmac.

So maybe (just maybe) 1040's long-standing mandate is to have mass market (vanilla) content in the drive slot. And maybe one (maybe more!) of the guys who have been directed to do that aren't ideally suited to that, but are just trying to make the best of the situation. Maybe their hearts aren't in it. Maybe they would have been much better used in other, better, what we would call "more listenable" formats. And maybe the station hasn't cared, because they haven't had to. (And I guess, maybe, they were even sorta right, cause a lot of us clearly still listen, at least sometimes, despite our *****ing - me very much included.

Barry is an immensely talented journalist and broadcaster, and has contributed more to sports media here over those very "decades" than just about anyone. All of this is painfully obvious to anyone who is actually watched and listened to him over that time. You may not like the afternoon show (now, in its last incarnation, or even the one before that), and that's totally fair. Would sports media here be more enjoyable to most of us with the addition of some new and some younger talent? Absolutely. Are those things mutually exclusive? Hell to the no. There are a whole huge pile of other changes that can and should be made, to bring that about.

BMac, and Moj are really the only two (semi) athletes of the 1040 hosts. They have an exCFL guy on weekends, but he seems there to simply plug his Realestate business. Oh, and he hosts a fishing show on 1410. They need ex hockey players! I've heard Santorelli on as a guest host a few times, and he at least played hockey in the NHL, so he has that "been there" perspective. Listening to 2 hours of guys who don't really get sports (especially hockey) just to hear a brief segment with Noodles or Ferraro just isn't worth having the station on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I guess I'd be lying if I said I don't get where your coming from, but in a way I find him a little refreshing.

I've about had it with "hot takes" and feigned outrage.

Those guys are even worse.

Elliotte Friedman is the best sports reporter in Canada right now, and he's nothing about 'hot takes'.

Botchford is the only really good reporter in this town, and it's a shame his annoying twerp personality takes away from his quality work. The rest of the print media are banal cheerleaders, and the radio media are all idiot blowhards 20 years out of date.

It's astonishing how few legitimately intelligent, insightful people there are in this industry. And most of the few that are end up imploding in their own biases - see Dan Russell and Tony Gallagher.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
Agreed completely.

Hey everybody! Let's kick him when he's down!

skeena1

May 15, 2006
From the Province:

"Various sources suggest Brendan Batchelor will be the next radio voice of the Vancouver Canucks.

Sportsnet 650, who will take over broadcasting the games from TSN 1040 this fall, has yet to name a play-by-play team. Batchelor, 28, has called Vancouver Giants’ games the past four seasons. According to various sources, he resigned from the WHL club on Monday and is refusing to say where he’s going, other than to admit he starts his new gig in August.

Batchelor, 28, had an interview with Canucks and 1040 brass prior to the 2014-15 season, when they were looking for a play-by-play man to replace the departing Rick Ball. Jon Abbott got the gig then, and had it through this past season.

Is Batchelor the next guy? It certainly looks like it.

“You do the math,” said a source who wished to remain anonymous."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...headed-to-sportsnet-650-to-call-canucks-games

bobaloo88

Jun 7, 2014
From the Province:

"Various sources suggest Brendan Batchelor will be the next radio voice of the Vancouver Canucks.

Sportsnet 650, who will take over broadcasting the games from TSN 1040 this fall, has yet to name a play-by-play team. Batchelor, 28, has called Vancouver Giants’ games the past four seasons. According to various sources, he resigned from the WHL club on Monday and is refusing to say where he’s going, other than to admit he starts his new gig in August.

Batchelor, 28, had an interview with Canucks and 1040 brass prior to the 2014-15 season, when they were looking for a play-by-play man to replace the departing Rick Ball. Jon Abbott got the gig then, and had it through this past season.

Is Batchelor the next guy? It certainly looks like it.

“You do the math,†said a source who wished to remain anonymous."

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...headed-to-sportsnet-650-to-call-canucks-games

He would be a tremendous upgrade over jon "abbs" abbott, who was the worst ever at calling 'Nucks games.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Hey everybody! Let's kick him when he's down!
This isn't kicking him when he's down.

Like many have said, he seems like a good guy. And I sincerely wish the best to him. I just think he's terrible on the radio and out of touch. Just like Moj and Taylor and their idiot whipping boy Ryan Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad