Vancouver Realtor facing criminal charges and lifetime ban from Beer League hockey for kicking an opponent's face with his skates

Baberham Lincoln

Nov 5, 2019
Toronto
Just to confirm, I heard that this was the kicker's first game back from a previous suspension. Also, I heard the kicker, was suspended once for breaking another person's leg, and was a known A-hole that did questionable shit all the time.
I don’t know if first game back but he has been suspended by the league before for violent action. Breaking legs and highsticking in the head and neck per my friends

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I don’t know if first game back but he has been suspended by the league before for violent action. Breaking legs and highsticking in the head and neck per my friends

So just one more point. If accepting what your friends are saying is true, it doesn't matter if this guy has a bad history in determining whether the guy committed assault or not. In fact any evidence of bad character is specifically prohibited except in extremely limited circumstances (google "similar fact evidence" if curious).

So, the guys prior bad acts don't figure into whether he is guilty or not.

But once someone is found guilty, then all that prior history is 100% relevant when it comes to sentencing. A first time offender gets a much lighter sentence than a repeat offender.

(and again, this is looking only at criminal courts, not how refs might call a game)

Reactions: DaveG

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Just to confirm, I heard that this was the kicker's first game back from a previous suspension. Also, I heard the kicker, was suspended once for breaking another person's leg, and was a known A-hole that did questionable shit all the time.

Good, Guy should be in jail then after this. Can't believe some people are trying to defend him. How EMBARRASSING.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
If that's all true and I'm not saying it's not, then why is this guy even allowed to play in rec leagues?

Reactions: DaveG

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If that's all true and I'm not saying it's not, then why is this guy even allowed to play in rec leagues?
Apparently the last 3 league commissioners who denied his application were all sent to the ER with mysterious skate wound to the face injuries

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
So has he been charged with a crime or no?

Edit: from a cursory google search it appears that the incident is “under investigation” after video was submitted to police.

If he has not been charged or formally accused of a crime, it seems to me that the assertion he is “facing criminal charges” in the thread title is misleading, and potentially libelous.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You asked if someone has called the police for someone punching an opponent in the face. Punching happens regularly in professional hockey and rarely in recreational hockey.

I told you that leagues that I’ve been in do, in fact, call police if punches are thrown. Since you seem to think it’s an acceptable thing in all adult rec leagues.

You have to be as much of a scum bag as the guy who kicked someone in the head with a skate to try to rationalize how that is somehow normal or expected in an adult league game.

Instead of you continuing to move the goalposts, I'll just tell you you're correct so you can have something to be proud of yourself for.

Every adult league game should just be a melee of fists and skates so people can live out their fantasy of playing hockey like they see on the TV.

I would've thought it'd be a rather simple task to complete, however, you seem to be having great difficulty quoting the part of my comment where I said punching an opponent in the face was acceptable in adult rec. leagues, or quoting the part of my comment where I moved the goalposts

Last edited:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Okay, so lawyer/rec hockey player with nothing better to do on a Sunday night chiming in. I'm going to focus in almost entirely on the interplay between the Criminal law and hockey (and then entirely Canadian criminal law, though a lot of the general principles apply in the US).

There's a lot of partially correct information out here, but partially incorrect. When you play hockey you are absolutely consenting to a certain level of physical contact. Consent is a defence to a charge of assault - it's right there in the definition of assault - it's the intentional application of force without the consent of the other person.

But so what exactly are you consenting to when you play hockey? Generally speaking incidental body contact, depending on your league even intentional body checking. Almost all physical contact in hockey is easily covered by consent.

But guess what - there's not a hockey league anywhere - not pro, not amateur, not rec - that allows fighting. Even though the NHL tacitly allows it, it's still against the rules (5 for fighting). You also aren't consenting to other physical contact that is not allowed in the rules.

So here we go back to A: consent. If you get two willing fighters squaring off you can say they are consenting. But there is also B: self-defence. If you're being attacked and you punch back, you're protected by the principles of self defence, covered in section 34 of the Criminal Code.

Now this covers a whole lot of factors that the court will consider in whether criminal responsibility should be found or not, including the level of force, the person's involvement in it, and prior history between the parties, etc.

So just a couple more factors to throw into the mix.

There is always the question of intent. No matter how horrible the result might be, if there a reasonable doubt about whether someone intended an action is always a defence.

And finally circling back to the question of consent - it should be noted that consent is NEVER a defence to the infliction of bodily harm. So you might square up for a willing fight, but then your opponent swings his stick and breaks your arm, consent does not factor into it.

Finally, if you want to dig deeper into this question you can start with the old case of R v Watson (1975) 26 CCC (2d) 150. It's a fight between two 18 year old juniors. It goes through an analysis of lots of the factors mentioned above (though by now it's kind of old).

If you want to keep digging you can look into the old Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi incident, but there Bertuzzi entered a guilty plea to so there's little analysis about why exactly he was guilty.

So to summarize: I am deliberately not going to give an opinion whether this Vancouver realtor should be guilty of assault. That's what people pay me money to do, so I'm not going to do it for free. But absolutely the Criminal law can still apply to a hockey rink, and frankly a lot more often than some hockey players realize.
You’re injecting FACTS into this discussion? This is the internet, pal. Take that witchcraft elsewhere.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I play hockey regularly as well... and in all my life I don't think I've ever seen anyone flailing their legs like this guy did. He's pinned down by a player, and when the guy's leaving, he kicks him with his skate and keeps trying. He knew full well how dangerous it is to throw skates around like that.

Not to mention, guy's got a yellow bucket... lmao

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You’re injecting FACTS into this discussion? This is the internet, pal. Take that witchcraft elsewhere.
OK so here's the lawyer in me: nothing I posted were FACTS. What I posted was LAW - both statutes (the Criminal Code) and caselaw.

And if you don't know the difference - that's why I sent three years in law school. But a difference between a finding of FACT and a finding of LAW makes a huge difference in court.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
OK so here's the lawyer in me: nothing I posted were FACTS. What I posted was LAW - both statutes (the Criminal Code) and caselaw.

And if you don't know the difference - that's why I sent three years in law school. But a difference between a finding of FACT and a finding of LAW makes a huge difference in court.
Dude, I was just kidding. Thanks for your contribution. It sheds a nice light on what happened.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
If that was against any team, I ever played on bench would've cleared. Then kick boys life would've been forever altered.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
lol @The Crypto Guy and @Filthy Dangles you can laugh at the idea that its a "padded glove", but it is considered a weapon. Which is a major reason why you get extra penalties and a game misconduct and suspensions for punching with gloves on. Its rock hard on the outside and designed to protect fingers from hard hockey stick slashing at top speed, and its heavier than your hand increasing punching power.

When Bertuzzi hit Moore with his glove on, folks wanted him charged with attempted murder and experts talked about how its like hitting someone with a brick.

Is a skate more dangerous? Well yeah. Glove is still considered a dangerous weapon. If you wore them, you would know that

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
lol @The Crypto Guy and @Filthy Dangles you can laugh at the idea that its a "padded glove", but it is considered a weapon. Which is a major reason why you get extra penalties and a game misconduct and suspensions for punching with gloves on. Its rock hard on the outside and designed to protect fingers from hard hockey stick slashing at top speed, and its heavier than your hand increasing punching power.

When Bertuzzi hit Moore with his glove on, folks wanted him charged with attempted murder and experts talked about how its like hitting someone with a brick.

Is a skate more dangerous? Well yeah. Glove is still considered a dangerous weapon. If you wore them, you would know that

Are you reallt trying to say eating a punch from a hockey glove will do more damage than bare knuckles...?

Plus, this isn't the NHL man, it's beer league, most of these dudes aren't going to be wearing ultra-protective high end gloves with extrahard inserts like NHL players are.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018

That's a lot of energy to spend defending a guy kicking someone with a skate.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
That's a lot of energy to spend defending a guy kicking someone with a skate.
I'm not even defending the guy. I read through the thread put of interest and then saw someone post the dumb "hockey gloves are pillow soft" and corrected it because I play and know how hard you can hit with those things. Even cheap Bauer ones from walmart

Which is why it's a major, misconduct and usually suspension to grt caught close fisted punching a face with gloves on. The hard plastic, rough exterior and form protects your hand from snapshots and slashes.

If you tried to put that material on MMA gloves or boxing gloves the ref would instantly feel it and you would be suspended and licence revoked because it would be considered a deadly weapon.

Christ Antonio Margarito had his license revoked for putting a light coating of powdered plaster on the wraps under his gloves so it would harden when he sweats. It's essentially brass knuckles

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Are you reallt trying to say eating a punch from a hockey glove will do more damage than bare knuckles...?

Plus, this isn't the NHL man, it's beer league, most of these dudes aren't going to be wearing ultra-protective high end gloves with extrahard inserts like NHL players are.
Go wear a cheap set of bauers at Walmart and then see. It's basically brass knuckles

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Agreed, I was getting worked over by a mafia member once for some unpain debt...they gave me the choice of brass knuckles or Bauer gloves. Needless to say I gladly took the brass knuckles
Love the sarcasm. But Shocking! Every source on NHL fighting seems to confirm it.
Screenshot-20220821-171943-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Screenshot-20220821-171801-Samsung-Internet.jpg

In fact, its the first thing that pops up when you google "Hockey rules gloves fighting"
Screenshot-20220821-171528-Samsung-Internet.jpg

i'm sure Dangles and Crypto will just laugh Emoji and avoid commenting because they have no reasonable retort as usual.

Last edited:

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Love the sarcasm. But Shocking! Every source on NHL fighting seems to confirm it.

In fact, its the first thing that pops up when you google "Hockey rules gloves fighting"

i'm sure Dangles and Crypto will just laugh Emoji and avoid commenting because they have no reasonable retort as usual.
I don't see a single source that describes them as brass knuckles....yes they hurt, but the brass knuckles comparison is just embarassing

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't see a single source that describes them as brass knuckles....yes they hurt, but the brass knuckles comparison is just embarassing
As opposed to the chap I was talking to who claimed they were pillow soft and that bare knuckles would hurt way more? That's even MORE embarrassing.

Hockey gloves are rock hard, protect your hand so you can punch without breaking it and cause more damage than a bare fist. Every source agrees on that. So which is closer? Calling them pillow soft or calling them an enhancing punch weapon?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

I wouldn't waste your time with those two. They're both immature children who have clearly never played hockey.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Okay, so lawyer/rec hockey player with nothing better to do on a Sunday night chiming in. I'm going to focus in almost entirely on the interplay between the Criminal law and hockey (and then entirely Canadian criminal law, though a lot of the general principles apply in the US).

There's a lot of partially correct information out here, but partially incorrect. When you play hockey you are absolutely consenting to a certain level of physical contact. Consent is a defence to a charge of assault - it's right there in the definition of assault - it's the intentional application of force without the consent of the other person.

But so what exactly are you consenting to when you play hockey? Generally speaking incidental body contact, depending on your league even intentional body checking. Almost all physical contact in hockey is easily covered by consent.

But guess what - there's not a hockey league anywhere - not pro, not amateur, not rec - that allows fighting. Even though the NHL tacitly allows it, it's still against the rules (5 for fighting). You also aren't consenting to other physical contact that is not allowed in the rules.

So here we go back to A: consent. If you get two willing fighters squaring off you can say they are consenting. But there is also B: self-defence. If you're being attacked and you punch back, you're protected by the principles of self defence, covered in section 34 of the Criminal Code.

Now this covers a whole lot of factors that the court will consider in whether criminal responsibility should be found or not, including the level of force, the person's involvement in it, and prior history between the parties, etc.

So just a couple more factors to throw into the mix.

There is always the question of intent. No matter how horrible the result might be, if there a reasonable doubt about whether someone intended an action is always a defence.

And finally circling back to the question of consent - it should be noted that consent is NEVER a defence to the infliction of bodily harm. So you might square up for a willing fight, but then your opponent swings his stick and breaks your arm, consent does not factor into it.

Finally, if you want to dig deeper into this question you can start with the old case of R v Watson (1975) 26 CCC (2d) 150. It's a fight between two 18 year old juniors. It goes through an analysis of lots of the factors mentioned above (though by now it's kind of old).

If you want to keep digging you can look into the old Steve Moore and Todd Bertuzzi incident, but there Bertuzzi entered a guilty plea to so there's little analysis about why exactly he was guilty.

So to summarize: I am deliberately not going to give an opinion whether this Vancouver realtor should be guilty of assault. That's what people pay me money to do, so I'm not going to do it for free. But absolutely the Criminal law can still apply to a hockey rink, and frankly a lot more often than some hockey players realize.
Ok so here’s a question for you, if you don’t mind: scrum occurs at the crease in adult beer league hockey. It’s only pushing and shoving, until Player A punches Player B in the face with a gloved hand. Is that assault, or covered under the rules of consent? Genuinely curious, because after reading your lengthy post, I’m still unsure of whether it would be considered assault or not (given that the players didn’t “square up” ie. Both consent in the traditional sense).

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad