Seravalli: Vancouver -> goal heading into next offseason is to clear big contracts for cap space

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
More hot air from Rutherford. We heard plenty of it last season and the club did the opposite.

Aside from signing a couple of good players and prospects, it's been an abysmal start for Allvin and Rutherford, especially with the overall direction and culture of the team.

They absolutely bungled the trade deadline last year after talking up a storm.

Nov 1, 2011
This is the same fan base that said Jake Big Tuna Virtanen was a sure fire 30 goal scorer. We all know how that worked out.
He got to 18 goals in 69 games despite limited minutes and then something bad happened.

Talent analysis wasn't wrong...

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I never said he scored 30 goals. I said he’s been on pace for 30 goals over a full season. This isn’t my opinion, this is what his career stats dictate.

He is injury prone, and that is most definitely a knock against him. But one dimensional? When that dimension is putting the puck in the net, with consistency, I’d say that’s something most teams will overlook.
For $6.65mm when you’re often injured and suck at skating? Not in todays NHL. No GM will overlook those flaws at $6.65mm per.

No one pays NHL players not to play in games. They don’t trade for those type of players either. This isn’t an LTIR situation.

If Vancouver is actually able to trade Boeser, you Vancouver fans are going to hate the return.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Seems to me this will cost Vancouver picks and then they will use that space to sign UFAs?

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
I had to do a double take on the date of those tweets. I was sure they were from 2020 LOL. Vancouver really offloaded all those bad contracts from the Benning era just to do the exact same thing with new management.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
700y23.jpg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mean...most of the "big contracts" are deals that Rutherford just signed. :laugh:

OEL, obviously there might be some appeal to getting out from under that deal. Tyler Myers as well. But other than that, who else even has a "big contract" that they'd want to get out of? Boeser and Miller...just recently inked deals by the guy himself.

Garland is i guess somewhat sizeable as a deal, but that isn't a bad contract to get out of. Mikheyev is in the same ballpark...and again, a deal he just signed himself.

Hughes isn't a deal you want to get out from.

This team just really doesn't have that many "big contracts" to jettison. It's basically just like stating, "gtfo Myers and OEL". And would realistically include Boeser, though it's hard to see how that's what he's talking about, considering that's directly his fault, very recently.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
He got to 18 goals in 69 games despite limited minutes and then something bad happened.

Talent analysis wasn't wrong...
Spoken like a pro scout working for the Cunucks. The talent was never close.

For $6.65mm when you’re often injured and suck at skating? Not in todays NHL. No GM will overlook those flaws at $6.65mm per.

No one pays NHL players not to play in games. They don’t trade for those type of players either. This isn’t an LTIR situation.

If Vancouver is actually able to trade Boeser, you Vancouver fans are going to hate the return.
Two words on the return for Boeser

MAX PACIORETTY​

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wonder if other teams have ever thought about heading into the offseason trying to clear out big contracts in favour of cap space. This could be some real pioneer thinking here by Vancouvers management

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Love

Feb 29, 2012
He’s been saying this for almost a year now and hasn’t done a damn thing to make it better. JR is an old loudmouth who really doesn’t know what he’s doing.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Spoken like a pro scout working for the Cunucks. The talent was never close.

Two words on the return for Boeser

MAX PACIORETTY​

Or Bjorkstrand. Overpaid wingers aren’t a hot commodity these days. Properly paid wingers aren’t a hot trade commodity either. The returns are obvious across a number of trades of bad and mediocre contracts on middle six wingers like Boeser. Even highly paid second line wingers aren’t in demand

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I wonder if other teams have ever thought about heading into the offseason trying to clear out big contracts in favour of cap space. This could be some real pioneer thinking here by Vancouvers management

LOL. Or trading old and overpaid players for young (under 26) players.

Reactions: M2Beezy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They're gonna have a hard time moving the guys they want to move.

* Boeser is paid like a top line player, but he's middle six when healthy.
* OEL's contract/play is such that I don't see anyone taking him until 2025. At least then his actual salary drops to $5.25 million.
* Myers is a defensive defenseman making $6 million a year. He's got another year. If the goal is not to take a contract back, they're waiting until the 2024 deadline to get rid of him.

All that aside, if they fire Boudreau do these player get a coach killer rep? If they do, it doesn't exactly have a positive impact on their value.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Join the party, Montreal has been doing that since current management took over and it's a slow process and won't be done overnight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad