Prospect Info: Vancouver Canucks 2016 Top 25 Prospects - #1

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
It was tough between Demko, Boeser, Juolevi, and Virtanen, so I asked myself which I could see being the best at their position vs. the rest of the league at that position.

I can envision Demko becoming a top 5 starting goalie in the NHL in his prime, so I went with him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Brock Boeser has shown the most improvement as a player, has the character/humbleness to keep improving. I think most likely to reach his ceiling. And I would be the most upset if we gave him up.

Juolevi has his draft status, but still we have no idea how hes going to develop next season.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I put a lot more stock than most in players who have shown the ability to transition to professional play. For that reason, although I'm more excited about Boeser, I think Virtanen has shown ebough ability to play in the nhl to make him a better prospect imo.

Really wish Boeser had turned pro.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Shocked that people still have JV ranked top 2.

Voted Juolevi, Boeser is dead even with him for me but due to position I chose Juolevi.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boeser had a special season this year and looks like he can be an impact goalscorer in the NHL. He's #1 for me, narrowly, over Juolevi.

As was noted just above, it's disappointing he isn't turning pro this year.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Lol at the people who voted Clendening haha. It took me one game to realize he was trash. Same with Hutton being down that far. Pretty sure I had:

Boeser
McCann
Virtanen
Demko
Shinkaruk
Cassels
Hutton
Tryamkin
Subban

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Shocked that people still have JV ranked top 2.

IMO he showed that he can play in the NHL and that means a lot to me. Transitioning to pros is the toughest hurdle and one that Juolevi and Boeser haven't faced yet.

It is close though and I think you can make an argument for any of the 3.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
These threads happen too frequently.
These threads happen once a year...?

Virtanen played the full year in Vancouver last year, so he really shouldn't be considered a prospect.

For this round I'm voting Brock Boeser, though I expect Juolevi to get a lot of votes because he's the shiny new prospect.
Tried to clarify this in the OP. Spoke with Nuckles about it. Per the HF prospect definitions:

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.
Virtanen played 55 games last year.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
I have Virtanen, Boeser and Juolevi all very close. Went with Juolevi as I think he has the potential to make the greatest impact on this franchise. Demko could be added to this group as well but I tend to value Goalies slightly less until further proven.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I value progression almost over everything. Significant and linear progression.

Virtanen had better numbers than Horvat in draft year but after Horvat's draft + 1 i would have taken him. It would be easier to take the player with the higher potential if it isnt close, but i think Boeser and Juolevi are close enough that ill take the guy who has developed more.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Voted Brock Boeser mostly due to him having a great year of development while JV probably was mishandled (don't think he should've been in the NHL last year tho he showed flashes).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If he's still considered a prospect, it's Virtanen, IMO. He got my vote - but as a full time NHL player last year, shouldn't be on this list.

After that, I'd probably go Juolevi then Boeser.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Ment to vote for Juolevi, voted for Virtanen by mistake. For me, Juolevi and Boeser are very close and can and will flipflop on opinion on who is better. I don't have Virtanen much below the top, just a wee bit.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Voted Virtannen but somehow forgot about Juolevi. Should have voted for him, but as has been said, the top 3 are pretty close. Between Virt and Boes, I see them both with similar offensive upside so Virt's skating and physicality give him the edge for me.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Voted Boeser as his d+1 season is one of the best Freshman seasons in college hockey in recent years. Juolevi's got fine upside but I need to see him do something comparable over a sustained period to put him on Boeser's level.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Went with Juolevi - not because, as someone so haughtily suggested earlier in the thread, he's the 'shiny new prospect', but because I see his skill-set as being more transferable to immediate impact.

Boeser is high-skill, but the transition to the pros for high-scoring college wingers can be hit-or-miss. In my opinion, Juolevi will make an impact on the team in 2017/18. Boeser may need a few years to warm to the pro game.

Boeser's elite-ceiling is probably higher... But there's very little between them. They're both very, very strong prospects. And that's really great.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Demko is too raw for me to consider him our best prospect.

Boeser for me since he seems like a guy who is going to step in and play top 6 minutes/produce in 2017-18

After that Juolevi, then Virtanen, then Demko.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Demko is too raw for me to consider him our best prospect.

Boeser for me since he seems like a guy who is going to step in and play top 6 minutes/produce in 2017-18

After that Juolevi, then Virtanen, then Demko.

Demko may very well have the highest upside but like you saw is still very raw and goalie are a crapshoot to predict.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I went off the board and voted Tryamkin. Showed at 21 he could play with the pros.

This guy could bust, or be a true no. 1 Dman that we covet.

And damn i hope we keep him until is 25 or 26 at least to see what is potential truly is ...

but there is a clear top 4 or 5 and then a massive decline. Damn this management group mishandles assets.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I went off the board and voted Tryamkin. Showed at 21 he could play with the pros.

This guy could bust, or be a true no. 1 Dman that we covet.

And damn i hope we keep him until is 25 or 26 at least to see what is potential truly is ...

but there is a clear top 4 or 5 and than a massive decline. Damn this management group mishandles assets.

Nikita has been playing pro hockey since he was 18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad