Confirmed with Link: Vanacek traded back to Washington for 2023 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
LOL.

Why trade a 2nd for a borderline NHL netminder when you can sign any number of those for free.

VV is not the answer.

If you think he is the answer why is Samsonov still on the team?

It’s all about cap space and comfortability. VV has a very cheap deal and the caps know what they have with him. Sure they can sign someone else without a draft pick to be a backup.. but likely not as cheap as VV and then there is the risk of that goalies performance. This isn’t a sexy deal by any means.. but it’s definitely reasonable.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ugh Vitek already left his farewell message too. :laugh:

I love the move. Cheap 1B pick and if they ever want to move them i'm sure they can get 2nd rounder or maybe more. GMBM took Francis to cleaners.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
We wanted Seattle to take Dillon and this has worked out even better. Good business by GMBM tbh

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Awful trade. The same day when Vezina winning goalie on a short term contract gets traded for literally nothing and another Vezina nominated goalie gets let go to FA, they trade a probable top-45/50 pick for a man who can barely play at this level just because he's cheap. If they're about winning as Ted was screaming in his tweet when they signed Ovechkin, you go waste those 2nd rounders to get rid of Schultz and Hagelin and sign a legit goalie off the market. Then fill spots of these fillers with players you've supposedly been drafting and developing all these years in Hershey.

Classic Maclellan and a classic reaction to the trade from the fanbase too lol.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Awful trade. The same day when Vezina winning goalie on a short term contract gets traded for literally nothing and another Vezina nominated goalie gets let go to FA, they trade a probable top-45/50 pick for a man who can barely play at this level just because he's cheap. If they're about winning as Ted was screaming in his tweet when they signed Ovechkin, you go waste those 2nd rounders to get rid of Schultz and Hagelin and sign a legit goalie off the market. Then fill spots of these fillers with players you've supposedly been drafting and developing all these years in Hershey.

I'll put it even more simple. Caps still don't have a playoff caliber goalie. The team can get by the regular season with Sammy/Vanecek, but neither goalie will help the team get out of the 1st round. If Lundqvist somehow gets cleared to play again, then don't be shocked if he's the Caps playoff goalie over the other 2! A lot of people under estimated Anderson, yet he was better than Sammy/Vanecek in the playoffs.

I would back off Sammy/Vanecek negatively criticizing both, but goalie coach Scott Murray is leading both goalies in the wrong direction. Hershey Bears goalie coach Alex Westlund is better than Scott Murray, but the Caps don't know it or they are too bull headed to realize it.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I'll put it even more simple. Caps still don't have a playoff caliber goalie.

Take a look at Fleury's stats his first two years in the NHL, then take a look at Grubauers playoff stats early on in his career. Neither of them probably looked like a playoff caliber goalie either, much less future Vezina contenders.

Give Sammy and or VV some more NHL experience before judging them.
CC @Melkor

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

It would have been hilarious if the Caps acquired 2 of the top 6 all time in wins in a 12 month span and they both retired before they could play a game

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Ultimate hot taker of hot takes has another hot take. Film at 11.

ps Are you secretly hoarding 7mil in cap space so we can sign a vezina-level goalie?

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Take a look at Fleury's stats his first two years in the NHL, then take a look at Grubauers playoff stats early on in his career. Neither of them probably looked like a playoff caliber goalie either, much less future Vezina contenders.

Give Sammy and or VV some more NHL experience before judging them.
CC @Melkor
Fleury was a kid in his first two seasons. These are grown men.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Ultimate hot taker of hot takes has another hot take. Film at 11.

ps Are you secretly hoarding 7mil in cap space so we can sign a vezina-level goalie?
You and those other two big brains that liked you need to learn to read first instead of actively pursuing stand up comedy career over here. I've already mentioned how do you gain the cap space. Of course that's if you're not the same idiot who created the cap hell first lmao.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You and those other two big brains that liked you need to learn to read first instead of actively pursuing stand up comedy career over here. I've already mentioned how do you gain the cap space. Of course that's if you're not the same idiot who created the cap hell first lmao.

Haven't we already established you're not even a fan of this team?

League News: - NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Post-Season Edition

Such a strange coincidence that you're constantly shitting on everything and egging on the fans here. So strange.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
MAF was 21/22 his first 2 NHL seasons

Sammy just turned 23 in Feb.
VV turned 25 in Jan.

1 to 2 years in the difference from just a kid to grown men?
Sammy will actually turn 25 and Vanecek will be 26 before the end of this coming season. Also Fleury was a first overall pick and had a solid pedigree before his nhl career so there's some huge context to this. Also Pens best players were very young at the time so they could afford to lose because of the bad goaltending before their prime years started.

Caps can't afford that.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Sammy will actually turn 25 and Vanecek will be 26 before the end of this coming season. Also Fleury was a first overall pick and had a solid pedigree before his nhl career so there's some huge context to this. Also Pens best players were very young at the time so they could afford to lose because of the bad goaltending before their prime years start.

Caps can't afford that.

That wasn't what I was responding to. You indicated that MAF was a kid his first 2 seasons and that our goalies were grown men.

We didn't have the space to bring in an overpaid goalie without blowing up another piece of the roster (Moving Kuzy for a downgrade, Moving more D for rookies/downgrades). Now I'll give you there is an argument that could be possibly made for how he managed the cap but for what we needed and without blowing up more of the roster this is a solid cost effective/known commodity move

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll put it even more simple. Caps still don't have a playoff caliber goalie. The team can get by the regular season with Sammy/Vanecek, but neither goalie will help the team get out of the 1st round. If Lundqvist somehow gets cleared to play again, then don't be shocked if he's the Caps playoff goalie over the other 2! A lot of people under estimated Anderson, yet he was better than Sammy/Vanecek in the playoffs.

I would back off Sammy/Vanecek negatively criticizing both, but goalie coach Scott Murray is leading both goalies in the wrong direction. Hershey Bears goalie coach Alex Westlund is better than Scott Murray, but the Caps don't know it or they are too bull headed to realize it.

I generally agree with a lot of your goalie takes, and even here I agree with your take on the goalie coaches, but I cannot agree with your first paragraph.

Is there a risk that the Caps won't have a playoff caliber goalie? Yes. But Samsonov can absolutely become one (see caveat regarding goalies coaches), and showed stretches of dominant play in games 3 and 4 against the Bruins last year. The rest of your paragraph is hyperbolic nonsense. Anderson was NOT better than Samsonov in the playoffs, and the only reason you can say he was better than Vanecek is because VV was in the playoffs for all of like 10 minutes before hurting himself. Anderson was incredibly fortunate in game 2 not to give up 5+ goals (see this post I made at the time) due to his poor lateral movement, lack of net awareness, and horrid rebound control. Claiming he outplayed Sammy is patently absurd.

Even in a fictional scenario in which Lundqvist is cleared to play, signs with the Capitals, and is somehow on the depth chart without the presence of a taxi squad, I would be absolutely shocked if he started in the playoffs.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This HAS to be the year that Scott Murray earns his pay. You can put off the first season as him being a new rookie coach and the second season as Holtby declining. Last year he had 2 rookie goalies.

Scott Murray doesn't have those excuse anymore. The goaltending HAS to improve greatly. This is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad