Proposal: (VAN) Virtanen, 10th - (MIN) Brodin, Zucker

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You very well could be correct. But I’m not really a fan of Zucker—he’s closer to the 20-20ish player he was last season.

If Virtanen improves 5-10 more points a season to a 30-35-point, 15ish goal scorer, while continuing to be fast, physical, and excellent on the defensive side, not to mention he’ll be a much cheaper cap hit, I’ll take that over Zucker.

Disagree if you want.
He will be a much cheaper cap hit because he isn't near as good as Zucker is.

It is funny, Zucker's absolute floor appears to be 20-20 (as you say). Virtanen's career high is 15 less points than that floor. You say IF Virtanen improves by 5-10 points, well what IF Zucker goes back to 30+30 like two seasons ago? I'm almost inclined to wait another season and let Zucker show us if he can bounce back if he can't even return Virtanen :help:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not the biggest Zucker fan, so that probably hurts it a bit. But the biggest deal-killing element of this for me, is Brodin's proximity to UFA status. Where he's liable to either get "overpaid" by a good Free Agent premium margin...or simply walk altogether in just 2 years. Which also just happens to be the same summer you can expect big extensions for Pettersson and Hughes coming off their ELCs. That's not what you want.

It's not a bad proposal for Vancouver, but i don't think it'd work because of that contract factor.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
It is just a myth that Virtanen has improve. The 5 point increase that Virtanen had. It came from the pp which he didn't get any last year and empty net points. This year he had 2 pp and 4 empty net points. Last year Virtanen had 0 PP and 1 empty net point. Considering the fact that Virtanen got more ice time and better linemates. You can make an argument Virtanen got worst. If Min offer Zucker one for one for Virtanne. You make that trade no matter what.

Do you watch the games? There is much more to it than point totals. How can you say that Virtanen didn't improve considerably last year? I'd say that he had a notable positive impact on almost every game he played in. On many nights last year I would say that he was the best Canuck player on the ice. Obviously that's just my opinion, and you have yours, but I'd really like to know how you could suggest that he got worse?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Do you watch the games? There is much more to it than point totals. How can you say that Virtanen didn't improve considerably last year? I'd say that he had a notable positive impact on almost every game he played in. On many nights last year I would say that he was the best Canuck player on the ice. Obviously that's just my opinion, and you have yours, but I'd really like to know how you could suggest that he got worse?

So is he like a slightly better Foligno?

Fine player to have on your team, definitely need guys like that, would trade Foligno for a 50 point player in a heartbeat.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
So is he like a slightly better Foligno?

Fine player to have on your team, definitely need guys like that, would trade Foligno for a 50 point player in a heartbeat.

Honestly, I may be the sucker, but I'd give Virtanen another year before deciding what he is. He has shown flashes of being a big, crazy fast power forward with a great shot. He has also shown that he could top out as a quality 3rd liner. I want the Canucks to keep him for another year to see how he progresses, because I loved his game last year.

That aside, If Benning could get Zucker for him straight up (He can't), he has to make that move without hesitation.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
He will be a much cheaper cap hit because he isn't near as good as Zucker is.

It is funny, Zucker's absolute floor appears to be 20-20 (as you say). Virtanen's career high is 15 less points than that floor. You say IF Virtanen improves by 5-10 points, well what IF Zucker goes back to 30+30 like two seasons ago? I'm almost inclined to wait another season and let Zucker show us if he can bounce back if he can't even return Virtanen :help:

Certainly possible he does go back up.

I’m wagering he won’t go up that much more, if he does.

I’m also wagering Virtanen continues to improve, being younger than Zucker, and having improved on his numbers the past two seasons.

You’re welcome to disagree—I’m aware it’s not a ridiculous stance, even if I think otherwise.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Yes I do watch the games, I am a half season ticker holder. Section 102.

All this talk about Virtanen about being the wrong pick, if is mainly about offence so I am going to focus on offence. I am sorry but to judge offence we will need to look at some numbers. Facts don't lie his 5 on 5 points was about the same as last year. Virtanen played 3 minutes more and played better linemate this year. His production is about the same. It more than fair to say he didn't improve offensively and/or got worst.

I will say his overall decision making improve. He doesn't give away the puck as often anymore. Anything else I don't see improvement at all.

I really think Virtanen sexy skating is tricking some people on thinking he is better than he really is.

Give me some examples what game Virtanen was the best player? Be more specific what did he do that made him the best player?

It's not all about points, tell me 5 different situation Canucks got a goal because of Virtanen but he didn't get point out of it? Tell me the game as well

Tell me 5 plays he made that saved a goal? Tell me the game as well.

I have game center live, I can go back and watch past games.

This just my opinion, if je wasn't a local boy. We wouldn't be having this conversation

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Yes I do watch the games, I am a half season ticker holder. Section 102.

All this talk about Virtanen about being the wrong pick, if is mainly about offence so I am going to focus on offence. I am sorry but to judge offence we will need to look at some numbers. Facts don't lie his 5 on 5 points was about the same as last year. Virtanen played 3 minutes more and played better linemate this year. His production is about the same. It more than fair to say he didn't improve offensively and/or got worst.

I will say his overall decision making improve. He doesn't give away the puck as often anymore. Anything else I don't see improvement at all.

I really think Virtanen sexy skating is tricking some people on thinking he is better than he really is.

Give me some examples what game Virtanen was the best player? Be more specific what did he do that made him the best player?

It's not all about points, tell me 5 different situation Canucks got a goal because of Virtanen but he didn't get point out of it? Tell me the game as well

Tell me 5 plays he made that saved a goal? Tell me the game as well.

I have game center live, I can go back and watch past games.

This just my opinion, if je wasn't a local boy. We wouldn't be having this conversation

I wouldn't argue for a second that in hindsight Virtanen was the wrong pick. There are at least 10 guys that would be picked over him in a redraft. I do think that he still has a ton of potential and upside though, he could still become a good 2nd line power winger, although will likely be a very good 3rd liner. Not exactly what you look for in his draft position.

I'm not going to go back and watch games to give you examples, I've got better things to do. I watched all but a handful of games last year, and came away from the vast majority of all of them thinking Virtanen made a positive impact and stood out from the rest of the team. I think most people, including he coaches saw a pretty big improvement in his game. If you don't agree, that's fair, you obviously watch the games and are entitled to your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad