Proposal: (VAN) Virtanen, 10th - (MIN) Brodin, Zucker

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Doing this would essentially imply that MN isnt making the playoffs for 3+ years barring a big FA LD SIGNING, so I think it’s unlikely.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Not a fan.

Wouldn’t trade Virtanen for Zucker—Zucker is obviously a better offensive winger, but Virtanen has improved and will close the gap a bit given he’s improved the last two seasons and is a couple years younger.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t trade the 10th overall for Brodin.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Not a fan.

Wouldn’t trade Virtanen for Zucker—Zucker is obviously a better offensive winger, but Virtanen has improved and will close the gap a bit given he’s improved the last two seasons and is a couple years younger.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t trade the 10th overall for Brodin.

It is just a myth that Virtanen has improve. The 5 point increase that Virtanen had. It came from the pp which he didn't get any last year and empty net points. This year he had 2 pp and 4 empty net points. Last year Virtanen had 0 PP and 1 empty net point. Considering the fact that Virtanen got more ice time and better linemates. You can make an argument Virtanen got worst. If Min offer Zucker one for one for Virtanne. You make that trade no matter what.

Reactions: MisterT and Seatoo

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
It is just a myth that Virtanen has improve. The 5 point increase that Virtanen had. It came from the pp which he didn't get any last year and empty net points. This year he had 2 pp and 4 empty net points. Last year Virtanen had 0 PP and 1 empty net point. Considering the fact that Virtanen got more ice time and better linemates. You can make an argument Virtanen got worst. If Min offer Zucker one for one for Virtanne. You make that trade no matter what.

Disagree. I liked what I saw from Virtanen on both sides of the puck last season, for the most part.

If he turns into a 3o-point physical winger who continues to be solid on the defensive side, I’ll take that over Zucker.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Zucker alone should get that kind of return, a 40-60 points player on a good contract should get at least a 1st and a good prospect.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
You think a 40 point player should get the 10th overall and a good prospect? .... and your name is "Rational Expectations"? Nice

Zucker is a bit better than a 40 point player. The guy still created practically the same amount of chances this year, just shot 5% lower than he did the previous year. If he maintained his shooting percentage from last year, he'd be looking at another 30+ goal season.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Zucker alone should get that kind of return, a 40-60 points player on a good contract should get at least a 1st and a good prospect.

He had 42 points last year. 5.5 M is definitely overpaid for that production. If he gets closer to 60 points then it's a good contract.

40 to 60 points player. Let's say 50 points, most 50 points don't get a 1st and a top prospect. If you ask yourself what 50 point player got a 1st round pick and top prospect in a trade before. Not many,

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You think a 40 point player should get the 10th overall and a good prospect? .... and your name is "Rational Expectations"? Nice

On the market yes, intrinsically, this is hard to gauge. He had a 60 points season and two 40+ seasons over the past three years. Look at the Hayes trade and Hayes had no term left, was a rental. To be clear, a good prospect is not a future star but a potential solid NHL player, yes there is a discount value to time so Zucker today has a higher value than a potential Zucker in three years from now, which is what you may get with the 10th overall.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He had 42 points last year. 5.5 M is definitely overpaid for that production. If he gets closer to 60 points then it's a good contract.

40 to 60 points player. Let's say 50 points, most 50 points don't get a 1st and a top prospect. If you ask yourself what 50 point player got a 1st round pick and top prospect in a trade before. Not many,

Same answer as to another comment : look at Hayes trade and consider he was a TDL rental, with a 10th overall you are not sure of getting a Zucker like player ;)

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
On the market yes, intrinsically, this is hard to gauge. He had a 60 points season and two 40+ seasons over the past three years. Look at the Hayes trade and Hayes had no term left, was a rental. To be clear, a good prospect is not a future star but a potential solid NHL player, yes there is a discount value to time so Zucker today has a higher value than a potential Zucker in three years from now, which is what you may get with the 10th overall.

You are comparing Apples and oranges right now. Rental trades have a completely different value from players with term.

Give me some examples of a 40 to 60 point winger that got around a 10th pick?

We went through this in another thread. The last 4 years any second line winger that was traded with term that got close to a 10th pick was Perron. He got 16th pick, only one example.

Trust me second line winger don't usually get top 10 pick.

When you have time Google trade history. Look at the list of trades from the past 5 years. You will not see around 10th over pick that get traded for 40 to 60 point winger with term.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think its fair. Overall value favors Vancouver but there is upside at #10 and HF loves prospects.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You are comparing Apples and oranges right now. Rental trades have a completely different value from players with term.

Give me some examples of a 40 to 60 point winger that got around a 10th pick?

We went through this in another thread. The last 4 years any second line winger that was traded with term that got close to a 10th pick was Perron. He got 16th pick, only one example.

Trust me second line winger don't usually get top 10 pick.

When you have time Google trade history. Look at the list of trades from the past 5 years. You will not see around 10th over pick that get traded for 40 to 60 point winger with term.

It depends if you see Zucker as a 1st or 2nd liner, he has great potential from my perspective and I am no MIN fan. I am arguing the price will be around a 1st + a prospect, i.e. that some team will be willing to acquire him for that and that most likely MIN won t let him go for less. As to his intrinsic value, once again that is harder to gauge !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad