Confirmed with Link: [VAN/VGK] Canucks acquire F Brendan Leipsic for D Philip Holm

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
yes and? No one is saying he is the next coming are they? I think the reaction here is over the top in the opposite direction.

We traded a player that most likely would not been part of the organization for a player that seems to be doing well so far. It's ok to be happy about that.

This was literally

The legend of trader Jim grows. Rips off a young top 6 forward from a GM of the year candidate and gives up nothing. :laugh::huh::nod:

This was literally.f.f.bn

Man I don't even have the energy anymore. I need to take a break from this

Reactions: Kickpuncher

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
This guy is a serious high event player, he has you screaming at the TV due to his stupid penalties, and then cheering as he’s winning the game. If he brings the energy every time even if it means still being a high event player it can be ok. It’ll be when he doesn’t have that adrenaline still coursing his veins. I’m ok calling him the Sword as this guy lives and dies by it on the ice.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Surprised by the offence and I'd need a bigger sample size to say whether it's legit, but we've needed a high energy guy for a while and he appears to bring that element to the team. On the game winning goal he made something out of nothing. This is starting to look like a good under the radar type trade. Vegas is pretty stacked offensively so it's easy to see how he could have been squeezed out there.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i only starting watching in the second half of the third period. but leipzig leipzig...

took the penalty late to give NYI the PP that tied it. bad leipzig.

after the PP goal, green sits his butt on the bench and sends boeser out there with horvat and jake. because, bad leipzig.

boeser attempts a weird hipcheck on clutterbuck and is sent careerning back into the side of the boards because jake has opened the door to get off. not technically your fault leipzig but...

leipzig is the one who happens to be on the bench right behind where boeser is lying face down on the ice and helps stecher collect his helmet, gloves, and stick. way to be, leipzig.

leipzig forces beauvillier to stumble and turn it over, makes a nice move on halak (that's the book on him right? get him going right and wait him out?), wins the game in OT. is this a good or bad leipzig? i'll let you guys endlessly litigate the pros/cons.

Bullidibumm-Keyring.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
yes and? No one is saying he is the next coming are they? I think the reaction here is over the top in the opposite direction.

We traded a player that most likely would not been part of the organization for a player that seems to be doing well so far. It's ok to be happy about that.

It seems like inevitably there will be one pro-move Benning will make each season that turns out to be anywhere from pretty-good to not-horrible that some fans will hold up as concrete proof of a good job being done while conveniently ignoring all the other bad moves behind it. So while it's nice to get a rare decent-good return it's also going to cause some annoyance.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It seems like inevitably there will be one pro-move Benning will make each season that turns out to be anywhere from pretty-good to not-horrible that some fans will hold up as concrete proof of a good job being done while conveniently ignoring all the other bad moves behind it. So while it's nice to get a rare decent-good return it's also going to cause some annoyance.

But, that's not being done here. One could argue that is the tactic you are using. I'm not judging this move at all against his other moves. This is a good move that's it.

Reactions: CanaFan and vanwest

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Pouliot has been terrific aside from a dip in the middle of the season, I can't believe anyone is still doubting him. Pretty confident he'll be a top 4 defenseman moving forward.

Always liked Leipsic, best player on his line in Portland with Petan and Rattie. Not so optimistic on Motte, I don't think he's a player. Also doubt Goldobin will be a player either.

Bash the strategy if you want but all the Portland reclamation projects look like resounding successes so far, especially compared to the others.

"Terrific" isn't quite the right word to describe Pouliot. He's looked good when paired with Hutton, though. That's a solid 3rd-pairing if you can shelter it a bit.

He'd get eaten alive in the top-4.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Pouliot has been terrific aside from a dip in the middle of the season, I can't believe anyone is still doubting him. Pretty confident he'll be a top 4 defenseman moving forward.
Lmao imagine believing Pouliot is a top 4 at this point

A failed prospect and now 24 year old who still can't defend at an NHL level is a top 4 dman, okay lmao. Pens had a lackluster defense and still refused to play him at all in the playoffs.

How far have our standards for top 4 dman fallen? Y'all just forget about 2009-2012? You think Pouliot is half as good as anyone in that top 4?

He's garbage defensively, can only look good in extremely sheltered minutes and even then he still gets burned

Anyway, back on topic; Liepsic is an erratic, exciting player. Will have his ups and downs here.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
3 games.

I am not going to say anything additional about it after three ****ing games.

Every single time we make a trade, people say it looks good 5 games in. Every. Single. Time.
To be fair, three really good and promising games in the NHL is more than I would ever expect from Holm. I'm all for tentatively considering it a great trade for now.

If Vanek had been traded for Leipsic and people were declaring it a shrewd move not to get a draft pick in return instead, based on three games, I would agree that that would be annoying and premature.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Leipsic can make some mistakes, but he also has probably the most offensive upside of any player we have traded for since Baertschi. Hopefully this game helps his confidence is putting the puck in the back of the net.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Hes put up points in every level. So his skill level and tenacity shouldnt come as surprise.

This was former 120 point prospect from the WHL and a point producer in the AHL. I believe he was actually leading thr AHL in scoring in 2016 before getting injured halfway through the season.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just an aside, but what does it say about many NHL GM's when Vegas can take on other teams' cast offs and become instantly competitive. Leipsic couldn't even crack that lineup and yet it's clear that he has decent offensive and defensive tools.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Also, you definitely see the potential with Leipsic but you also see why a playoff-bound team like Vegas was willing to jettison him for not much - he is horrific defensively and they don't have the time to bring his game along.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also, you definitely see the potential with Leipsic but you also see why a playoff-bound team like Vegas was willing to jettison him for not much - he is horrific defensively and they don't have the time to bring his game along.

Absolutely.

They're set on their scoring lines and you can see why Gallant wouldn't trust this player with significant responsibilities in a checking role.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I don't really think we know whether have in Leipsic. I think with a lot of trades like this you just have to let the guy settle down with the team and see what he becomes. Right now he doesn't know the team and is just trying to make a good impression. Sometimes when people start a new job they try way too hard and it ends up with mixed results.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hes put up points in every level. So his skill level and tenacity shouldnt come as surprise.

This was former 120 point prospect from the WHL and a point producer in the AHL. I believe he was actually leading thr AHL in scoring in 2016 before getting injured halfway through the season.
I don't think his offensive production or potential is the issue here. And I love to watch his game because of his tenacity as you say. But I'd like to be able to watch him for a long time in the NHL. For that to be the case, he is going to have to figure out when that tenacity leads to poor defensive plays or penalties, and make some modifications to his game. He's still young. And lucky for him, he now has a great opportunity with a team that is in evaluation mode rather than winning mode.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I like the deal. Gave up little. Always liked Leipsic in the Leafs organization. No one should be surprised a 5'9" player who has been a top scorer at every level of hockey before the NHL isnt tailor made for 3rd or 4th line checking duty.

Enough skill here for a good look see. Certainly more interesting than the overpaid mediocre veterans in Vancouver who play the right way...as slowly as possible.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Listening to Green's post-game presser he was only lukewarm about Leipsic's night, despite the three points......the kind of player who can drive a coach crazy one minute and turn on the jets the next and do something dramatic........but I suppose if anyone can iron out the erratic swings in his game, it'll be his old junior coach.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Listening to Green's post-game presser he was only lukewarm about Leipsic's night, despite the three points......the kind of player who can drive a coach crazy one minute and turn on the jets the next and do something dramatic........but I suppose if anyone can iron out the erratic swings in his game, it'll be his old junior coach.
Seems to me he said two things...1. he didn't play well in the first period and he knows it, and 2. he played really well after that. Sounds to me like the coach was saying he liked the way Leipsic realized he was playing poorly and his awareness allowed him to make a change. Translated: " I like guys who are accountable for their poor performance and are willing and able to be better".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad