Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tanner Pearson signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3.25M AAV)

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They don't.

I actually don't see it as being possible unless Benning has some sort of bullet in the chamber and knows that Erikson plans on mutual contract termination after this season.

Otherwise there is no money.

No chance Erikson willingly walks away from 4m. Canucks will need to buy him out.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
upload_2021-4-9_13-34-56.gif

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
This is correct but the contract is still highly unnecessary given the Canucks cap structure. Better players were signed for less last summer and will be again this summer. Benning, once again, was bidding against himself.
Unpopular factual opinion: Tanner Pearson is better than Beagle and Roussel. I don't think this is the same at all.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Unpopular factual opinion: Tanner Pearson is better than Beagle and Roussel. I don't think this is the same at all.

Give it a little while. Pearson is clearly on his way down. He's invisible most games, and last season almost half his goals were empty-netters. This is the classic Benning contract: overpayment in term and money for a declining asset, ignoring cap implications, tunnel vision on one guy, bidding against himself, not learning from previous mistakes, etc etc etc.

There's going to be ten better players than Pearson given contracts that won't be half of what this one was. There's a flat cap for at least the next season, and Benning is still building his roster ass-backwards, giving expiring, expendable players big money and term while actually useful players sit and wait for the scraps, then eventually head for the door.

Hope all you Benning defenders (whoever you still are...) enjoy 82 games of Chatfield and Brisebois on the backend next season.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
This feels like the typical Benning signing: not outright terrible, just paying a million or so more for a depth guy. In a vacuum, these signings aren’t really much of an issue, but they are adding up to give Vancouver a very expensive bottom-6.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Give it a little while. Pearson is clearly on his way down. He's invisible most games, and last season almost half his goals were empty-netters.
This simply isn't true. 6 of his 21 goals were empty-netters.

For the uninitiated reading this thread, it's fairly typical of Canucks HF. Almost everyone agrees Benning sucks and that nearly all decisions he makes are terrible, but most posters are so enraged and hysterical at this point they need to believe in a sort of caricature world in which Benning is totally and utterly indefensible rather than simply a terrible GM and will often deliberately exaggerate or mischaracterize events or misstate basic facts about games, players or statistics and then accuse anyone who points it out of defending Benning. It's really weird and I haven't seen it happen on other teams' boards, although I'd be interested to know if it ever has.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

For the uninitiated reading this thread, it's fairly typical of Canucks HF. Almost everyone agrees Benning sucks and that nearly all decisions he makes are terrible, but most posters are so enraged and hysterical at this point they need to believe in a sort of caricature world in which Benning is totally and utterly indefensible rather than simply a terrible GM and will often deliberately exaggerate or mischaracterize events or misstate basic facts about games, players or statistics and then accuse anyone who points it out of defending Benning. It's really weird and I haven't seen it happen on other teams' boards, although I'd be interested to know if it ever has.

I think it's because it's been 7 years of this guy. He's never really done an adequate job but for some reason ownership likes him- it sucks.

Can't say I disagree with you on our fan base blowing everything out of proportion; but I gotta say, this is a dumb deal. The Canucks should be targeting cheap, youthful speed to be rounding out their middle 6 forwards - especially in a flat cap where free agents will be cheap. And I guess that's another reason the signing is so puzzling...it's a lot of term and money to a player that shouldn't have that leverage. That's just logical - not a Benning diatribe.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Holy shit. I have the strongest deja vu right now.

Myers signs for 6m x 5 years.
HF: This is a bad contract.
A few Benning Fans: Wait and see.

Beagle signs for 3m x 4y

Roussel signs for 3m x 3y.

Holtby signs for 4.3m x 2y.
HF: This is a questionable to bad contract.

Benning fans 2021: Hindsight is 20/20!

We have SEEN that they are bad, and we didn't even have to wait. How many times do you need to see!?

Maybe to some people those are bad contracts, and maybe to some people, those are fair contracts.

Some people still have not let go of the $50m cap days contract values. The cap is $81.5m now.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Crow

May 19, 2014
I don’t really think it’s the worst contract on earth. Seems like he could still be a 40 point guy as he was in the past for the next couple years. Some of the reactions here seem a bit over the top. Is it great? No. Is it good, probably not. It’s just not as god awful as some here think. That’s my take at least.

Reactions: Numba9

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I don’t really think it’s the worst contract on earth. Seems like he could still be a 40 point guy as he was in the past for the next couple years. Some of the reactions here seem a bit over the top. Is it great? No. Is it good, probably not. It’s just not as god awful as some here think. That’s my take at least.

I understand what you’re saying but this contract coupled with the others Benning hasn’t learned from amount to death by a thousand cuts

Crow

May 19, 2014
I understand what you’re saying but this contract coupled with the others Benning hasn’t learned from amount to death by a thousand cuts
I get that. When is the last time benning gave out a contract that was very good for the team? I kind of like demko’s deal but it remains to be seen how that one will turn out.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I get that. When is the last time benning gave out a contract that was very good for the team? I kind of like demko’s deal but it remains to be seen how that one will turn out.

Yea, I’m okay w demko’s deal.

This past offseason, which was a complete debacle, is what happens when you overpay on multiple contracts, which is why Van fans are so frustrated as many of us see this as an indication Benning is uncapable of learning from his own history.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
He's pretty rock solid, 3.25 for a depth forward isn't insane. Benning likes his leadership guys, and with three back to back calder noms I can't understand the critics of the culture he has built. No one drafts that well, he is doing something right. Once the dead weight of "foundational" players is lifted, Canucks will be a contender. Does anyone really doubt that?

Crow

May 19, 2014
Yea, I’m okay w demko’s deal.

This past offseason, which was a complete debacle, is what happens when you overpay on multiple contracts, which is why Van fans are so frustrated as many of us see this as an indication Benning is uncapable of learning from his own history.
It is a bit of a problem that they can’t find depth forwards on ELCs from drafting and development. That’s probably why benning keeps signing this caliber of player to medium term deals. His biggest mistake to me isn’t paying these people but not giving himself better options. Am I off base? Without some players in the pipeline to fill these roles, what would you suggest he do?

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Pearson is better than where Roussel was 4 years ago when he signed here (was putting up 4th line numbers but only paid $2 million) but then he also did have a half-point a game season where he played bunches of games with Horvat, before he tailed off. Comparing apples to apples, I think we should expect a pretty solid next season to 2, but expect potential drop offs in year 3 which might be problematic given the cap hit and signing bonus (if Covid's still rampant JB would be on the hook for another doozie of a contract).

Side point, I also don't see why they were so hasty to pick up Vesey only to sign Pearson, and when Hoglander could take the #2 LW spot if Podkolzin does win the 2nd RW. The team already has cap problems at the bottom of the lineup, and we're pretty set at LW so I don't see why they had to pay him so much, with term. If Vasily does earn the #2 RW spot, then people will hate JB for creating another bottom 6 expensive contract.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Maybe to some people those are bad contracts, and maybe to some people, those are fair contracts.

Some people still have not let go of the $50m cap days contract values. The cap is $81.5m now.

Might be a good idea to read this thread. Canucks are pressed right up against that 81.5 mill with a lot of holes to fill.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This feels like the typical Benning signing: not outright terrible, just paying a million or so more for a depth guy. In a vacuum, these signings aren’t really much of an issue, but they are adding up to give Vancouver a very expensive bottom-6.

it is an issue in 2021 with a flat cap and with pay raises coming towards Hughes and Pettersson. By Pearsons 3rd year, Bo Horvat and Miller hits UFA and we might be in tough cap room to try to sign both even though JT MIller is probably going to take a hike, Jim Benning hasn't thought long term, what an idiot. The Con's outweigh the pros in this type of signing. Add to the fact by then, Podkolzin is probably due to become a RFA too and our 2021 1st rounder might be due for a pay raise yet sits Pearsons 3.2 million in the way.

Again, I like Pearson as a player. He is useful, but if he's too much we move on. We should have waited until the end of the season then re evaluate the entire team from start to finish, then make an offer for him, an opened ended offer he can come back too if he can't find another team when he hits UFA then sign him.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
As long as we're filling people in on the ins and outs of the Canucks board, there's another interesting phenomenon going on in there: no matter what idiotic thing Benning does, there are always people defending him. And no matter what, no emotional reaction is justified. People aren't ever simply angry or frustrated...oh no. We're enraged! We're hysterical! Out come all the hyperbolic adjectives, because of course their superior intellect elevates them above us common rabble. If you told them a meteor was going to hit the Earth and wipe out all life on the planet, their contribution to the discussion would be a wall of text about how the correct term is "meteorite".

You know, your ability to utterly ignore the point of every discussion you barge into is truly prodigious. Is that some kind of autistic or dyslexic thing or something?

And it's interesting to note that you keep on coming back to hang with all us horrible, dumb, overemotional twits. One almost wonders why.

It sure as hell ain't by popular demand.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

This is hilarious. "Yeah, he got this deal because he can handle playing every second night and I think he's excused from struggling this season because he has had to play every second night."

What a relief Benning dumped Toffoli (idiotic move) so he could sign Holtby (terrible contract) and re-sign Pearson (bad contract).

Last edited:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands

The only people they are fair contracts to is Benning, the players and their agents.

You think it acceptable and "fair" that a below average 4th line costs 10 million?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad