Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Tanner Pearson signs extension with the Canucks (3 years, $3.25M AAV)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So who on the canucks will be overpayed after next season when erikkson, luongo and rousell contracts are off the books?

I mean, based on his track record in UFA, the guys on the Nucks who will be overpaid after those guys leave will be the next 3 contracts he signs to replace those guys....

You keep acting like its a good thing that cap space is going to free up when Benning has a consistent history of blowing the cap space on junk. He's another Chiarelli... We did Eberle for Strome, then Strome for Spooner, then Spooner for last legs Gagner, then Holland put him with 2 seconds for AA which was a waste of time, but at least he cut bait and didn't qualify AA for 4m+. These Chiarelli and Benning types live in a world of sunk cost fallacy, and the mistakes just keep stacking up, one after the other. It's like watching a 60 car pile up on the freeway in 0.1x speed...

That Eberle trade was a consistent downward spiral... On the other end, Benning trades for Spooner for some unknown reason then buys him out? LOL? It just can't be possible to defend this guy.

Also I read that although the contract doesn't require them to protect him, there is an understanding that he will be protected. Like why?

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Yeah this one might be the one that breaks the camel's back for me. The contract in a vacuum is not terrible. If Colorado signed this, it wouldn't have been a bad move.

It's bad because:

1. It's in the context of our GM JUST TELLING US WE WILL COMPETE IN 2 YEARS.
2. We are replacing his old bad contracts for middling forwards with new bad contracts for middling forwards. He hasn't learned.
3. We just lost key players due to poor cap management (Tanev, Toffoli). This signing basically admits we could've had Toffoli. He was only a million more and expires at the same time.
4. The signing means we can't weaponize our trade protection slots
5. If he's permitted to make deals like this, he is likely our GM beyond this year.

The one thing I find interesting is our owner is quiet on Twitter about this signing compared to with Demko.

Unless he's fired, I'm switching to watching Seattle next year.

Reactions: kanucks25

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Not sure why people are complaining. That’s a good contract for a good 2nd liner.

The complaints should be for the overpayment of bottom line/pairing players like Sutter, Ferland, Roussel, Beagle, Myers.
Tanner Pearson isn't a good 2nd liner...

He's a decent 3rd liner who is only getting older.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
i think its a good deal for Van, depending on the other 2 upcoming signings, else, he'll be in every trade proposal for the next 3 years

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
to lessen the pain of the vancouver fans ( :sarcasm: ) i offer a trade:
eriksson, 2021 1st and 2022 1st (both unprotected) for future consideration :naughty:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On its own, it is an ok contract. Pearson takes a $500K drop in AAV which is expected. Toffoli dropped from $4.6 down to $4.2 mill last off season.

But, it's the priority of the signing that is perplexing. Demko made sense as he's a key RFA. But, they have Petey and Hughes due up in the off-season and those 2 should be handled first and whatever is remaining should be used to round out the roster.

Also, their forward group, going past Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander and Petey, those are the top 6 guys. Pearson will battle Podkolzin for that final spot next season.
But, that bottom 6 up front includes Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel.

Signing Pearson now, pretty much means that after Petey and Hughes get signed, all other roster players are going to be averaging $1 mill in cap hit. They had $20 mill give or take coming off the books this off-season (but need to sign replacement players to take Pearson, Sutter, Edler, Benn, Hamonic, etc. spots whereas the Spooner buyout and Sven B. are not on the roster so they save that cap space next season). Now that drops by $3.25 mill. Already gave Demko a $4 mill increase for next season. So, they don't have much left after they extend Petey and Hughes to fill out the roster unless someone gets moved who has a sizeable cap hit.

At this point, it means that Edler is not returning for anything but a very low contract. Which I don't see happening. He'll likely get offered 2nd pairing money at $3 mill per season and likely for 2 years. So, I would have rathered used Pearson's cap hit to retain Edler instead as that is a greater need IMO.

Plus the Canucks need a couple of extra draft picks that they can then use in off-season trade talks to try to move Eriksson's contract like the Rangers did with M. Staal.

Reactions: mkev400 and Tact

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
We do need some vets on the team and 3 mill is not 8 mill, u need to chill.

I imagine this quote has been addressed by now bc I havent read the next pages, but you do realize that having 4-5 guys in our bottom 6 making 3M+ on long term deals is even worse than one bad deal at 8M, right?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Tanner Pearson isn't a good 2nd liner...

He's a decent 3rd liner who is only getting older.

I mean he managed 21 goals and 45 points in 69 games last year. I don’t know what exactly you’re expecting from a 2nd liner. He’s not a line driver but he’s a good complimentary piece. And at $3.25m, you could do A LOT worse.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If our team was at all relevant and made this signing all the haters would come out laughing but its mostly pity from other fans

Thats even worse. What a disgraceful management team we have. Is Benning closing in on worst manager of all time? Im not sure just speculating theres just so much wrong with this signing, and Pearson is not even bad, but considering the history context and cap space, its just the latest in a long long list of Benning blunders that even the most casual of fans could see

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm guessing at this point, Vancouver likely gives Seattle some decent assets to take Eriksson, the salary at this point is digestible but still gotta squeeze.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I imagine this quote has been addressed by now bc I havent read the next pages, but you do realize that having 4-5 guys in our bottom 6 making 3M+ on long term deals is even worse than one bad deal at 8M, right?
To be fare thats no longer true as those bottom 6 guys with HEFTY contracts cant even crack this Canucks 25th place team (Eriksson, Baertchi, Roussell). So really its only Sutter, Pearson and Beagle so DONT exaggerate pal ;)

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I mean he he 21 goals and 45 points in 69 games last year. I don’t know what exactly you’re expecting from a 2nd liner. He’s not a line driver but he’s a good complimentary piece. And at $3.25m, you HAVE A LOT worse.
I fixed it for you.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I mean he managed 21 goals and 45 points in 69 games last year. I don’t know what exactly you’re expecting from a 2nd liner. He’s not a line driver but he’s a good complimentary piece. And at $3.25m, you could do A LOT worse.
6 of them were empty net goals. This year he's got 11 points in 33 games in the division that is putting up ridiculous offensive numbers.

He's a career .5 ppg player. Not terrible, but not someone you give an extension to in a flat cap era. I'd bet quite a bit that players with similar career production are had in UFA for a full million less with less term/bonuses/trade protection.

The canucks are a team with major cap issues and just gave a meh asset a 3 year extension with buyout protection for no reason.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If Edler is #1 or #2 on our team is semantics. A 36 year old chew through 20 minutes a night and ill-informed Canuck fans worried if the 28 year old left winger is going to fall off a cliff.

The premise many posters take is absurd. If you think a 28 year old winger's effectiveness is going to fall off a cliff in 3 years, then we should be looking to trade Miller (who has more games played than Pearson).

If you want to bring Edler into the discussion you realize this contract almost guarantees he's gone right? Not they we necessarily should be doing it but there's pretty much only enough cap space to keep one of the expiring vets, like a 1 year $4M deal for Edler. I guess signing Pearson to a 3 year deal is more important though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm guessing at this point, Vancouver likely gives Seattle some decent assets to take Eriksson, the salary at this point is digestible but still gotta squeeze.
It cost the Rangers a 2nd to move 1 year of Staal. What the Canucks needed was to move a couple of UFAs to recoup some assets so that moving Eriksson at that cost is palatible if you have gotten a 3rd back for Pearson and maybe a 4th/5th for Benn. Before Covid, Sutter was likely a similar 4th round return. Hamonic, with his full NMC and only going to a Canadian market, he was likely a 6th/7th round pick in return. Edler, the most value, but with a NMC, and with the Covid situation, I doubt he would have waived.

Canucks don't have any extra picks to offset what they would need to move out.

Like the prior poster RandV said, they only had cap space to pay one of their own UFA anything over $2.5 million. They used it all up on Pearson, meaning all of the others won't return unless they are at $1 mill per.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It cost the Rangers a 2nd to move 1 year of Staal. What the Canucks needed was to move a couple of UFAs to recoup some assets so that moving Eriksson at that cost is palatible if you have gotten a 3rd back for Pearson and maybe a 4th/5th for Benn. Before Covid, Sutter was likely a similar 4th round return. Hamonic, with his full NMC and only going to a Canadian market, he was likely a 6th/7th round pick in return. Edler, the most value, but with a NMC, and with the Covid situation, I doubt he would have waived.

Canucks don't have any extra picks to offset what they would need to move out.

Like the prior poster RandV said, they only had cap space to pay one of their own UFA anything over $2.5 million. They used it all up on Pearson, meaning all of the others won't return unless they are at $1 mill per.

3.2M salary for Marc Staal

4M salary for Eriksson

Maybe Juolevi + pick? I'm spit balling here. Vancouver spending too much in the bottom 6 though

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
This is how you don't manage the cap.

Nothing against the player but you cannot be overpaying outside your top guys.

Ouch

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think its bad in a vacuum but what's make it bad is Toffoli only cost 1 million more and Vancouver let him walk because of Cap primarily.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Bad signing by a bad GM and owner. The owner meddles in all Canuck affairs so it had his blessing no doubt.

Now watch the fallout as their best players are yet to be signed in the off-season.

Benning will not be fired, as he is exactly the puppet GM that the owner needs and wants. Very disappointing as a life long Canuck fan, but we're used to it.

Reactions: kanucks25

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
If fans of other teams are wondering what the problem with this contract is they should take a look at our cap, and our defence core. Assuming we get Hughes signed, and Juolevi accepts his minimum raise, we have 6 defenceman signed for next year. No money left for Edler:
Hughes- Schmidt
Juolevi- Myers
Rathbone- Woo
That should be....interesting. Enjoy that pay raise Thatcher, your going to earn it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
3.2M salary for Marc Staal

4M salary for Eriksson

Maybe Juolevi + pick? I'm spit balling here. Vancouver spending too much in the bottom 6 though
If they move him after the SB is paid, then it's $3 mill in salary, but would then make the pick for 2022 vs 2021. Rangers moved Staal after they paid his SB and after the draft.

Benning even said in a presser back in late Feb/early March that the team was 2 years away from contending. Basically, he expects the team to go from 0-60. From a non-playoff team to a final 4 contender without having to suffer through the pains of winning 1 round but losing in round 2 like the Gillis Canucks in 2009 & 2010.

He's way too optimistic to think like that. Even the powerhouse TB had their setbacks. Hate that this also seems to signal that Benning is returning as GM despite a very likely playoff out. They are 8 back of Montreal with the same number of games left, but are behind in the 1st tie breaker of ROW. And I don't see this team making up ground in a condensed scheduled like they had to start the year and with so many players coming off Covid.

I just think that the priority list is to take care of Hughes/Petey first so that you know for sure how much you have left for any UFAs to either retain or sign. He's repeating what he did back in 2019 when he used up all of the funds before signing Boeser. Not that I believe that either Petey/Hughes plan on taking a contract for term given that the NHL signed a new TV deal with ESPN so they know that revenue will be on the uptake post Covid, but not for a couple more years. Pretty much every key RFA will do a bridge term contract to get them through the Covid period.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Sunan

Jun 6, 2019
México
They don't.

I actually don't see it as being possible unless Benning has some sort of bullet in the chamber and knows that Erikson plans on mutual contract termination after this season.

Otherwise there is no money.

Reading through all the replies I was going to post this could possibly happen. He's made a lot of money and who wants to be benched all year. The Swedes in Vancouver over the years have all seemed to have good character and team loyalty. Maybe he'll hang them up for the greater good.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
I think it's a good signing he's been one of the better Canucks most nites and will continue to be one of the better Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad